+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

FSW WORLDWIDE

abhiram.kumar

Star Member
Dec 7, 2018
TN-1 visa on Canadian passport has one major advantage: It gives you an authorization at the port of entry. No need to go to the counslate or embassy.

Now coming to permanent resident status, a non-Indian, non-Chinese have one advantage. Their EB-2 wait time is not really as bad as Indians and Chinese have. Currently US immigration is processing EB-2 they got in november 2022. (https://www.immi-usa.com/visa-bulletin/)

Meaning if someone like @MajorGrom with a masters degree (so he fits in Advanced degree criteria) wants, they can get a EB-2 NIW Green card in less than an year.

https://www.uscis.gov/forms/explore-my-options/eb-2-employment-based-immigration-advanced-degree-or-exceptional-ability

Best part about NIW? They don't have to even have a job offer to apply for that.
While that may enable a person to obtain work authorisation in the US quickly, it has several restrictions and it isn’t even as good as what Australian citizens have in terms of E3. There’s this misconception that the TN visa is a great privilege when it really isn’t. Spouses of E3 visa holders can work in the US while spouses of TN visa holders cannot work, which in my opinion, is a very big restriction. My ultimate point being that neither of these visas are used for permanent settlement in the United States and people eventually have to be sponsored by their employers in order to gain a shot at permanent settlement. For citizens of Russia, who have no issues when it comes to green card backlogs, it seems like a massive waste of time to wait for probably five years, in order to gain citizenship in Canada, and then move to the US under TN, and then eventually convince your employer for sponsorship when instead, in those 5 years of waiting, you could directly apply to employers and seek sponsorship. Tech workers who have in demand skills should not have any issues in being sponsored by US companies. You probably would have received your green card by then and you could even apply for US citizenship. In hindsight, nothing really changes and you eventually have to seek sponsorship anyways. You’re ultimately making things more complicated and longer through TN. This is just my personal opinion.

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022
While that may enable a person to obtain work authorisation in the US quickly, it has several restrictions and it isn’t even as good as what Australian citizens have in terms of E3. There’s this misconception that the TN visa is a great privilege when it really isn’t. Spouses of E3 visa holders can work in the US while spouses of TN visa holders cannot work, which in my opinion, is a very big restriction.
It is VERY likely that spouses of someone getting TN is also a canadian citizen. Couples often immigrate together. Yes there will be few folks who will have citizen+non-citizen pairs but most will be citizen-citizen pair. Even in case of citizen - non-citizen pair, its going to be a temporary situation for few years. One can apply to become citizen in Canada after 3 years and become a citizen in 4-5 years total.

So, mostly if you are not having a job, move as TN and TD holder. Interview, get a job, go to border again and get a TN. Not too much of trouble.

My ultimate point being that neither of these visas are used for permanent settlement in the United States and people eventually have to be sponsored by their employers in order to gain a shot at permanent settlement.
Well, look it at this way, TN gives you almost a guaranteed entry into US labour market. Having a TN-1 does not stop you from getting a H1-B in future. It allows you to easily switch job without any wait for processing at embassy -- unlike some HB-1. If you loose your job, no problem! Get another job in US and immigration will not be a headache. You can stay in US as a visitor (may be you need to re-enter).

Try doing that with HB-1 and its 60 days countdown and a lottery to get it again. Also employers can not have too much power over you in TN-1. In H1-B, they can make your life miserable outside your job by firing you.

TN-1 is one tool in your toolbox, for its purpose its very powerful. While you are waiting for stupid H1-B lottery to favour you, use your TN-1 to continue working in USA.

Finally, the real comparison is actually in these two situations.

1. A person with option of TN-1.
2. A person without option of TN-1.

Its not between TN-1 and H1-B. H1-B is available for everyone (so is L1, btw). TN-1 is only for Canadian citizens.

For citizens of Russia, who have no issues when it comes to green card backlogs, it seems like a massive waste of time to wait for probably five years, in order to gain citizenship in Canada, and then move to the US under TN, and then eventually convince your employer for sponsorship when instead, in those 5 years of waiting, you could directly apply to employers and seek sponsorship. Tech workers who have in demand skills should not have any issues in being sponsored by US companies. You probably would have received your green card by then and you could even apply for US citizenship. In hindsight, nothing really changes and you eventually have to seek sponsorship anyways. You’re ultimately making things more complicated and longer through TN. This is just my personal opinion.
I agree, thats why I told him to look into possibility of EB2 NIW using his masters degree from waterloo. Even if it is just bachelor's degree, add 5 years of work exp in CS/IT and you can petition for EB2-NIW.

D

Deleted member 1083629

It is VERY likely that spouses of someone getting TN is also a canadian citizen. Couples often immigrate together. Yes there will be few folks who will have citizen+non-citizen pairs but most will be citizen-citizen pair. Even in case of citizen - non-citizen pair, its going to be a temporary situation for few years. One can apply to become citizen in Canada after 3 years and become a citizen in 4-5 years total.

So, mostly if you are not having a job, move as TN and TD holder. Interview, get a job, go to border again and get a TN. Not too much of trouble.

Well, look it at this way, TN gives you almost a guaranteed entry into US labour market. Having a TN-1 does not stop you from getting a H1-B in future. It allows you to easily switch job without any wait for processing at embassy -- unlike some HB-1. If you loose your job, no problem! Get another job in US and immigration will not be a headache. You can stay in US as a visitor (may be you need to re-enter).

Try doing that with HB-1 and its 60 days countdown and a lottery to get it again. Also employers can not have too much power over you in TN-1. In H1-B, they can make your life miserable outside your job by firing you.

TN-1 is one tool in your toolbox, for its purpose its very powerful. While you are waiting for stupid H1-B lottery to favour you, use your TN-1 to continue working in USA.

Finally, the real comparison is actually in these two situations.

1. A person with option of TN-1.
2. A person without option of TN-1.

Its not between TN-1 and H1-B. H1-B is available for everyone (so is L1, btw). TN-1 is only for Canadian citizens.

I agree, thats why I told him to look into possibility of EB2 NIW using his masters degree from waterloo. Even if it is just bachelor's degree, add 5 years of work exp in CS/IT and you can petition for EB2-NIW.
Thank you for the advice. I will check it out.

Believe it or not, I am tired with immigration and etc. I want to focus on my career for 2-3 years and after that, let's see. As I have mentioned before, maybe Canada will fix the healthcare issue. Maybe, I will be able to buy a home here. Maybe, I will be making enough money for my lifestyle and extra 50K just wouldn't be worth it.

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022
Thank you for the advice. I will check it out.

Believe it or not, I am tired with immigration and etc. I want to focus on my career for 2-3 years and after that, let's see. As I have mentioned before, maybe Canada will fix the healthcare issue. Maybe, I will be able to buy a home here. Maybe, I will be making enough money for my lifestyle and extra 50K just wouldn't be worth it.
I can totally understand. IIRC, we had a similar talk before on this thread and you mentioned about your fatigue with immigration. You are right, its one of these torturous thing.

Reactions: feanor13

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018
I can totally understand. IIRC, we had a similar talk before on this thread and you mentioned about your fatigue with immigration. You are right, its one of these torturous thing.
Immigration fatigue is real. When I moved to Canada, I also had mixed experiences and I think most people who move from US may find Canada a let down on many things. I think primary driver is decrease in income and almost everything being expensive in Canada compared to US. So, in my initial days I dreamed of going back to US almost daily on TN visa (may be hourly). Couldn't wait to apply for citizenship. My reasons were quite similar to what @MajorGrom has been saying here (enjoying US vs Canada discussions). But now after 3+ years and having sent in application for citizenship that desire to move has been dwindling down every month ... Just tired of moving around. Just the thought of packing up all again and moving once more is brutal. I mean it will still again start with all those things .. looking for a new place .. furnishing it again , either buying a new car or exporting old one .. Just the thought of doing all those admin tasks again fill me with dread ..

I understand all the reasons people have mentioned to make the move and I agree with most of them. But I'm right now wondering if I have the energy to do it over once again. Even doing the whole citizenship application felt so cumbersome even though it is much simpler compared to PR one. Just this whole immigration thing sucks your energy little by little and with all other things that one has to tackle it is not easy.

So, anyone who can still find the will to move all the best .. it is the right move and I hope I will feel different once I get Canadian passport. For now, I have stopped dreaming about moving to US and I'm happy to be here in Canada. Even with all the issues this place does feel like home and that is all needed for now.

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022
Immigration fatigue is real. When I moved to Canada, I also had mixed experiences and I think most people who move from US may find Canada a let down on many things. I think primary driver is decrease in income and almost everything being expensive in Canada compared to US. So, in my initial days I dreamed of going back to US almost daily on TN visa (may be hourly). Couldn't wait to apply for citizenship. My reasons were quite similar to what @MajorGrom has been saying here (enjoying US vs Canada discussions). But now after 3+ years and having sent in application for citizenship that desire to move has been dwindling down every month ... Just tired of moving around. Just the thought of packing up all again and moving once more is brutal. I mean it will still again start with all those things .. looking for a new place .. furnishing it again , either buying a new car or exporting old one .. Just the thought of doing all those admin tasks again fill me with dread ..

I understand all the reasons people have mentioned to make the move and I agree with most of them. But I'm right now wondering if I have the energy to do it over once again. Even doing the whole citizenship application felt so cumbersome even though it is much simpler compared to PR one. Just this whole immigration thing sucks your energy little by little and with all other things that one has to tackle it is not easy.

So, anyone who can still find the will to move all the best .. it is the right move and I hope I will feel different once I get Canadian passport. For now, I have stopped dreaming about moving to US and I'm happy to be here in Canada. Even with all the issues this place does feel like home and that is all needed for now.
There is a reason why immigration is a professional service. It requires real effort. The way around it is you delegate it to someone else -- for a price. Let them handle all the nitty gritty of immigration while you focus somewhere else.

D

Deleted member 1006777

There is a reason why immigration is a professional service. It requires real effort. The way around it is you delegate it to someone else -- for a price. Let them handle all the nitty gritty of immigration while you focus somewhere else.
The effort isn't doing the paperwork. It's always uprooting and moving, always trying to go to the next thing. Never feeling permanent anywhere even if your title says so. Personal greed does play a major role in it.

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022
The effort isn't doing the paperwork. It's always uprooting and moving, always trying to go to the next thing. Never feeling permanent anywhere even if your title says so. Personal greed does play a major role in it.
To me, uprooting moving part is not that big of a trouble. It cuts only for few weeks.

What is really painful is the uncertainty of whole process: The what ifs. Like

1. OMG My wife has to renew her OWP! What if they reject her SOWP?
2. What if I made a mistake in form?
3. What if I entered Iceland inplace of india? (I kid you not this almost happened, though my lawyer was more to blame).
4. OMG! What if I was fired! will I have to withdraw her application? (I kid you not, it happened with one of my friend).
5.OMG! YES! She will not be avail to renew her SOWP! What will I do?
6. What if asked her to leave Canada?
7. What if she has to take a flight back? Now? In middle of pandemic? (I know they processed one guys and kicked him out even though he worked as a nurse in covid care)
8. What if she got COVID on the way?
9. OMG! They just removed restoring to a different authorization!!! I cann't restore her to visitor!

and on and on and on

IRCC does not help by having many many many months long waiting. SOWP was taking 8-9 months. borders were closed, no flagpolling. :( Horrible time.

Living with this uncertainties for long time is tiring. And really, it is not your fault too. It is IRCC being son of a **$*$$ and processing their stuff so slow.

Last edited: