Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022
You can save yourself a lot of trouble with spice odours if you just skip the dry-roasting/tadka and cover the pans most of the time while cooking. I'm also used to opening the windows while cooking anything, but I don't think that's an option in Canada during winter.
Well, this is also a reason I prefer single family homes. This issue becomes bigger in cramped apartment complex that are so common in BC. My laundry is in my basement, devoid of any source of smell. My kitchen has a big exhaust which vents in my backyard. Surrounded by plants, the smell of cooking get suppressed pretty soon.

Reactions: ImpatientAlligator

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022
So anything other than salt and pepper gives out a smell?
Well, it does not end there. One of my close friend is vegan since ever. She gets a VERY strong smell from chicken. And that makes her life hell around Vancouver downtown. She is one of the few people who were happy with N95s becoming a commodity. It block a lot of smell in the street when she crosses eateries.

Its more of an issue of what people are used to. I mean if you smell egg up close when you buy it, it smells so disgusting that you will not be able to eat it. But we have been buying and cooking eggs for so long that unless its bad it does not smell bad to us. We are just aliens here in Canada. Thats why a lot of people get this smell issue. Thankfully all the laundry in Canada has a hot water and hot air dryer sequence which means lots of volatile things clothes absorb will be lost in laundry cleaning.

Lastly, I personally use a diluted mouthwash after eating. It works wonder. Don't use concentrated or straight from bottle though. In the long run its not good for you.

D

Deleted member 994371

We are just aliens here in Canada.
What can my Indian nose expect to smell in Canada? What does their food smell like? Do they also have distinct smells that I might not be used to?

I don't know how true it is, but I have heard white people smell like wet dogs and cheese when they are sweaty. Is that true in any sense?

D

Deleted member 994371

Lastly, I personally use a diluted mouthwash after eating. It works wonder. Don't use concentrated or straight from bottle though. In the long run its not good for you.

As a bradder who has made it in the western world, what other tips can you offer for a fresh off-the-boat bradder?

PRANIT01

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2021
As a bradder who has made it in the western world, what other tips can you offer for a fresh off-the-boat bradder?
I can speak of land lords in calgary they are bit messed up,be very careful on what you agree.
Ask them specifically whether you need to cut the grass
I assume you are going to the shared accommodation ask them about utilities
Ask them about bed bugs Eben if they are angry it is fine .
Learn how to eat with fork and knife
No honking honking is almost similar to cussing some one
Tip cultures exist which is 15 % of the cheque for buffets it I fine not to give .
Say thank you and sorry ,thank you for small services
No personal questions
Do not touch kids you can be in hell lot of troubles doesn't matter how cute they are

I am not sure about canada if police stops you wait in the car

Maintain atleast an arm distance in a line.

don't stare you will see a lot of pretty girls but don't there is is difference between glance and time stare

if you are talking to an Indian a Canadian guy comes switch conversation to english.

use deodorants and colones doesn't matter how cold it is take shower everyday before going out.

Don't make jokes on LGBT or other racial groups.

Dont yell even if you are angry.

A no means a no, no begging pleading

bargaining is not a thing here so avoid it.

Dont trust anyone blindly even your close friend.

respect lines don't jump lines

This is my thing may be useful for you
Try to stay away from shared cooking

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
Can someone describe what exactly is curry smell? What exactly does it smell like?

It may come as a shock to someone Non-Indian but we don't call our food "curry". If such a smell exists and my nose has already blocked it, how can I know about it?
It's the smell of really strong indian spices and IT IS REAL. I am in a situation ATM: just bought a house previously owned by an Indian. It's been a week and over $1k spent trying to get the smell out, it just won't go. We have had to delay moving in cos it's just unbearable. We noticed it when we went for initial viewing but assumed it will go away by simply airing out the house. Nope, that hasn't worked yet.

Anyone has tips on how to get the "curry" smell out? :(

Last edited:

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
What can my Indian nose expect to smell in Canada? What does their food smell like? Do they also have distinct smells that I might not be used to?

I don't know how true it is, but I have heard white people smell like wet dogs and cheese when they are sweaty. Is that true in any sense?
I don't want to go down this racist-y comment rabbit hole, but the Caucasians in Canada are clean from my experience (unlike my experience southward :) ).
The company I work for (big Corp, lots of older white people) is a Scent-Free work environment, so no perfumes, cologne or scented anything, and I have not had to cover my nose in the lifts or in gatherings yet ;).

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
I can speak of land lords in calgary they are bit messed up,be very careful on what you agree.
Tip cultures exist which is 15 % of the cheque for buffets it I fine not to give .
No personal questions
Do not touch kids you can be in hell lot of troubles doesn't matter how cute they are

don't stare you will see a lot of pretty girls but don't there is is difference between glance and time stare

if you are talking to an Indian a Canadian guy comes switch conversation to english.

use deodorants and colones doesn't matter how cold it is take shower everyday before going out.

I wanted to both like and haha your comment. I was really conflicted cos it's very good points and funny as well. It made me LOL so I went with the haha :D.

zekkeh

Sep 15, 2019
No personal questions

just some comments about this:
you dont have to tip if its not a table service restaurant/cafe. say, if you’re getting a cinnamon bun to go, you’re not obliged to tip even if the card reader machine defaults the tip screen. also, some asian restaurants dont expect tips, especially if they’re family-run and dont hire wait staff

i think its also okay to make racial jokes at your own expense very occasionally. dont overuse it, and not joking at the expense of others

finally, please please please bargain at the car dealerships if you’re getting a car. not bargaining is ripping yourself off

D

Deleted member 1050918

It's the smell of really strong indian spices and IT IS REAL. I am in a situation ATM: just bought a house previously owned by an Indian. It's been a week and over $1k spent trying to get the smell out, it just won't go. We have had to delay moving in cos it's just unbearable. We noticed it when we went for initial viewing but assumed it will go away by simply airing out the house. Nope, that hasn't worked yet.

Anyone has tips on our to get the "curry" smell out? :(
Fresh immigrant concerns: How to find a good job in Canada? How to get necessary designations?

wonderbly's concerns: How to get food smell out of my newly bought house?

It's funny how you go on to tell "it's not that bad" in Canada. No disrespect, just pointing it out.

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
i think its also okay to make racial jokes at your own expense very occasionally.
That's one thing I miss about the US. You could joke about pretty much anything including race (in a social context). Thankfully there's still comedians like Russell Peters around not afraid to make a joke or two

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
Fresh immigrant concerns: How to find a good job in Canada? How to get necessary designations?

wonderbly's concerns: How to get food smell out of my newly bought house?

It's funny how you go on to tell "it's not that bad" in Canada. No disrespect, just pointing it out.
I didn't mean to rub any of this in anyone's face, it was just in line with the discussion and wanted to ask for help with my "seemingly insignificant" problem :) . For the record, I have been an immigrant in other countries and paid my fair share of sorrow, pain and worry, so I do understand every one of those immigrant concerns you mentioned. It's all par for the course, but after all is said and done - Canada is not that bad ;).

charp

Star Member
Apr 16, 2014
I haven't posted here much but I have been following this thread since day 1.

Timeline:

AOR- 3rd Feb 2021
VO- RROC
ADR- 31st March, 2022
ADR submission- 29th April, 2022
PPR- 8th June, 2022
Good luck guys!

P.S- It may appear as if I have been very lucky but that's not the case here. My PR journey had started in way back 2011, December when I had landed in Canada as a student.

During my stay in Canada, I experienced multiple rejections including MPNP refusal in 2013, AINP refusal in 2015, work permit extension refusal in 2014. Had to leave Canada with a heavy heart and tears of pain in December 2014.

But I didn't quit on my Canadian dream and picked myself up again in 2020 and gave a last shot at it with FSW outland application in 2020.

10 years and 6 months later here I am looking at my PPR with tears of joy.

Won't thank any Gods here as I am an atheist but yeah
“I want to thank me for doing all this hard work. I want to thank me for having no days off. I want to thank me for never quitting. I want to thank me for always being a giver and trying to give more than I receive. I want to thank me for trying to do more right than wrong. I want to thank me for just being me at all times.”

Never give up!

Last edited: