+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

FSW Program: Teaching Assistant whilst PhD/MPhil student?

thourb

Star Member
Sep 6, 2016
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi all,

First post on here, so please be gentle :) I realise that there have been several other threads which are generally around this topic but none of them seem to quite fit the bill for our specific circumstances, so I'm hoping that an expert on here will be able to assist with this query.

My partner and I are looking to apply for PR on the FSW program. We've been playing around with the CRS Tool to determine who would likely get the most points and it seems that it would be better if we applied with my partner being the primary visa applicant as it gives us slightly more points (between us, potentially 472 if I've added things up correctly). My questions surround whether or not we'd be eligible to apply with him being the primary applicant as his work experience is with him as an MPhil with progresison to PhD student and Graduate Teaching/Research Assistant alongside his studies. All of his experience has been gained in the UK at a university, hence applying under FSW - I realise that none of this would be eligible if he were a student in Canada.

The contract that he has is paid as he gets a stipend from the university which is only paid to Graduate Teaching Assistants. As it is a stipend he does not pay tax/national insurance. The contract itself that he teaches students along with preparation of lectures, grading of exams, exam invigilation, conducting seminars etc. In total, the teaching assistant role easily meets the 15 hours part-time requirement to count as 1 year work experience (since he has been doing this for 3 years). His work sees him complete almost all of the requirements for NOC 4012 Post-secondary teaching and research assistants.

His work somewhat blurs the line between "research assistant" and "teaching assistant" as, alongside his study and teaching duties, he also has obligations to regularly conduct research on projects outside of his own PhD research for other academics at the university, which is clearly more on the side of a "research assistant" than a "teaching assistant".

My questions are as follows:

1) As he is paid a stipend rather than a "wage", does this qualify as being "paid" for the purposes of immigration? In essence, it appears to me to be merely a semantic difference but I'm not sure how CIC would view it as he doesn't get payslips and isn't taxed on his income. It is worth pointing out again that a standard PhD student wouldn't be paid this, it is being paid to him in his capacity as a teaching assistant alongside his own study duties.

2) CIC makes a distinction on the relevant NOC page between Research Assistant and Teaching Assistant. Would it be fair to assume that even if the experience that my partner has somewhat blurs between what could otherwise be counted as two separate roles, the hours that he works could be combined together as it is all governed under the same contract and all fits under the same NOC code?

3) Can the hours he spends doing research towards his own MPhil/PhD topic (as it broadly fits the definition of a research assistant under NOC 4012) also be claimed towards the work experience target?

4) Would a letter from his supervisory team on university headed paper detailing his duties and number of hours worked, along with bank statements to show payment going into his account for the three years be sufficient to demonstrate his work experience?

Thanks to anyone for their help - it's a bit of a minefield and we really want to get it right first time when applying.

xiaolei

Apr 12, 2014
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=855&top=6

So Canadian work experience while registering as a full time student as a RA counts?
That's my concern.

bhallaji

Star Member
Aug 12, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Colombo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-12-2014
AOR Received.
15-05-2015
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
16-09-2016
Med's Done....
01-10-2016
thourb said:
Hi all,

First post on here, so please be gentle :) I realise that there have been several other threads which are generally around this topic but none of them seem to quite fit the bill for our specific circumstances, so I'm hoping that an expert on here will be able to assist with this query.

My partner and I are looking to apply for PR on the FSW program. We've been playing around with the CRS Tool to determine who would likely get the most points and it seems that it would be better if we applied with my partner being the primary visa applicant as it gives us slightly more points (between us, potentially 472 if I've added things up correctly). My questions surround whether or not we'd be eligible to apply with him being the primary applicant as his work experience is with him as an MPhil with progresison to PhD student and Graduate Teaching/Research Assistant alongside his studies. All of his experience has been gained in the UK at a university, hence applying under FSW - I realise that none of this would be eligible if he were a student in Canada.

The contract that he has is paid as he gets a stipend from the university which is only paid to Graduate Teaching Assistants. As it is a stipend he does not pay tax/national insurance. The contract itself that he teaches students along with preparation of lectures, grading of exams, exam invigilation, conducting seminars etc. In total, the teaching assistant role easily meets the 15 hours part-time requirement to count as 1 year work experience (since he has been doing this for 3 years). His work sees him complete almost all of the requirements for NOC 4012 Post-secondary teaching and research assistants.

His work somewhat blurs the line between "research assistant" and "teaching assistant" as, alongside his study and teaching duties, he also has obligations to regularly conduct research on projects outside of his own PhD research for other academics at the university, which is clearly more on the side of a "research assistant" than a "teaching assistant".

1) As he is paid a stipend rather than a "wage", does this qualify as being "paid" for the purposes of immigration? In essence, it appears to me to be merely a semantic difference but I'm not sure how CIC would view it as he doesn't get payslips and isn't taxed on his income. It is worth pointing out again that a standard PhD student wouldn't be paid this, it is being paid to him in his capacity as a teaching assistant alongside his own study duties.

2) CIC makes a distinction on the relevant NOC page between Research Assistant and Teaching Assistant. Would it be fair to assume that even if the experience that my partner has somewhat blurs between what could otherwise be counted as two separate roles, the hours that he works could be combined together as it is all governed under the same contract and all fits under the same NOC code?

3) Can the hours he spends doing research towards his own MPhil/PhD topic (as it broadly fits the definition of a research assistant under NOC 4012) also be claimed towards the work experience target?

4) Would a letter from his supervisory team on university headed paper detailing his duties and number of hours worked, along with bank statements to show payment going into his account for the three years be sufficient to demonstrate his work experience?

Thanks to anyone for their help - it's a bit of a minefield and we really want to get it right first time when applying.
Can you still apply through FSW ?

thourb

Star Member
Sep 6, 2016
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
bhallaji said:
Can you still apply through FSW ?
I expect that I will be able to as my partner's work experience closely matches NOC 4012 (teaching assistant). My main concern was him being paid by stipend rather than an acutal "salary". Money is paid to him for the work but it is not taxed.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
thourb said:

Chances are very good that the experience would be accepted, as long as it meets the "continuous" requirement, and that his contract and/or letter of emploment specify the # of hours worked per week etc. Surely he gets some kind of annual statement of remuneration for income tax reporting purposes (even if he doesn't pay tax), that will be important to include.

CIC does not write the NOCs, ESDC does, and the 'distinction' is a soft one, they are both under the same NOC. What is more important is the job duties/responsibilities under the NOC. A lot of RAs have trouble with the NOC because it emphasizes the teaching components; since it sounds like your partner DOES have some of the teaching duties, it will be easier.

Now you are pushing it, you want his education to be considered "work experience?" No, I would advise against it, but it depends on what his supervisor is willing to put into writing, or what is stated in the contract. The other part is if there are rules in the country and/or university about the number of hours a student is allowed to work for pay - if there is a limit like 20 hours, it would not be wise to try and exceed that number...

Current requirements to document work experience are outlined here -
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/perm/express/intake-complete.asp

afsar9930

Star Member
Jul 24, 2015
Dear jes

I am also working 40 hrs/wk as a Teaching Assistant. I have 7 weeks vacation. For FSW u need 52 weeks experience full time. My question is do I need to wait additional 7 weeks after completing my 52nd week to be eligible for 1 continuos year experience. I have already fulfilled hours requirment

deadbird

Jan 9, 2016
thourb said:
Hi all,

I used my PhD graduate research assistantship to add a few extra years of work experience. In addition, I also have a year of work experience at a top software company. Currently, my application is in process and from my notes it looks like they accepted my claim for points. Still not 100% sure if my application will get accepted but should know for sure in a month or two.

In terms of documentation. I got a letter from my PhD advisor listing out all the relevant details that CIC needs. I provided my payslips.

mmafi

Jan 31, 2023
Hey there! I know it's been a while but I basically have the exact same four inquiries as you had back in the days and I was wondering if you can share your experience now :) Thanks a lot.