03-07-2015
Med's Done....
27-07-2015 Additional Med Done: 01-10-2015
VISA ISSUED...
Rejected ^_^
LANDED..........
Let's try again some other time
future_canadian said:
Can't remember the name exactly but they were in Central on Connaught or Des Voeux Rd I think. There is a list of providers sent along with your medical request. It was fairly expensive for the adults, around HK$2500 if I recall.
Just booked our medical test @ UMP Jordan centre. Cost 2 adults + 2 kids (4 + 5 y.o) = $4200 + $1020 + $600 :-X :eek: ???
they have eMedical so we don't have to bring photos, just passport and HKID (if applicable).

future_canadian said:
We landed in Vancouver today. We are house hunting this week. It's expensive, but good to be here!
So happy for you, mate!! Best of luck with the house hunting, don't rush for the best result.
Cheers ;D ;D ;D

future_canadian

VIP Member
May 10, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
waiwera said:
Just booked our medical test @ UMP Jordan centre. Cost 2 adults + 2 kids (4 + 5 y.o) = $4200 + $1020 + $600 :-X :eek: ???
they have eMedical so we don't have to bring photos, just passport and HKID (if applicable).

So happy for you, mate!! Best of luck with the house hunting, don't rush for the best result.
Cheers ;D ;D ;D
Yes UMP that is where we did it.

Yaris

Apr 17, 2015
Hi,

I plan to do a short landing for three weeks soon. I'd like to know if there are any CIC regulations governing how long I'm required to stay inside Canada after the initial landing?

Do I have to stay in Canada until I get my PR card by mail.

Thanks.

future_canadian

VIP Member
May 10, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yaris said:
Hi,

I plan to do a short landing for three weeks soon. I'd like to know if there are any CIC regulations governing how long I'm required to stay inside Canada after the initial landing?

Do I have to stay in Canada until I get my PR card by mail.

Thanks.
No, but you can't re-enter Canada without it, so you need to have it sent to a trustworthy person who can send it to you.

OR, if you are from a visa-exempt country (meaning you didn't get a visa in your passport, you only got a COPR), you can enter using just your passport and COPR, but you MUST do so in a private vehicle via a land crossing--no plane, ferry, train or bus. That means you'd have to fly to the US and rent a car or have someone drive you in a car.

kanadjani

Star Member
Mar 22, 2015
Visa Office......
HKVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-12-2014
Nomination.....
21-03-2015
AOR Received.
27-04-2015
IELTS Request
submitted with the application
Med's Request
21-01-2016
Med's Done....
05-02-2016
Passport Req..
26-09-2016
VISA ISSUED...
26-10-2016
LANDED..........
soon
future_canadian said:
We landed in Vancouver today. We are house hunting this week. It's expensive, but good to be here!
Most sincere congratulations! Enjoy in the most beautiful city. Hopefully we will join by the end of the year.

Yaris

Apr 17, 2015
future_canadian said:
No, but you can't re-enter Canada without it, so you need to have it sent to a trustworthy person who can send it to you.

OR, if you are from a visa-exempt country (meaning you didn't get a visa in your passport, you only got a COPR), you can enter using just your passport and COPR, but you MUST do so in a private vehicle via a land crossing--no plane, ferry, train or bus. That means you'd have to fly to the US and rent a car or have someone drive you in a car.
For the PR card, I think I'll have it sent to me by my relatives in Vancouver once they get it. But, do you think this is considered cheating? :) I was wondering if this would cause any repercussions on my Citizenship application in future.

After landing, I plan to fly to New York city for a short tour. Since I still don't have the PR card, how shall I re-enter Canada?

Yaris

Yaris

Apr 17, 2015
I've a full Hong Kong driving license for over 10 years. It seems to me that I still need to take the knowledge test besides the road test in Vancouver. Right?

Do they distinguish between licenses for automatic transmission and standard transmission?

Any idea of how long I've to wait for the road test? I wish to get a full BC driving license in a few weeks. Possible?

Regards,

future_canadian

VIP Member
May 10, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yaris said:
For the PR card, I think I'll have it sent to me by my relatives in Vancouver once they get it. But, do you think this is considered cheating? :) I was wondering if this would cause any repercussions on my Citizenship application in future.

After landing, I plan to fly to New York city for a short tour. Since I still don't have the PR card, how shall I re-enter Canada?

Yaris
Are you from a visa-exempt country? Meaning you can enter Canada without a visa, and you will only be issued a COPR, not a visa? (Hong Kong is visa-exempt, mainland China is not.)

If you need to re-enter Canada without your PR card, you cannot do so via a commercial method of transport such as plane, train, ferry or bus. You can enter with your passport and COPR, but you can only enter via a private car from a land crossing. Why this is the rule, I don't know. So if you go to New York, you could re-enter Canada at Niagara Falls in a private car (rented, owned by you, driven by someone else, whatever) and get on a plane once you are in Canada. Or you could fly somewhere close to your destination and then rent a car. For example for BC fly to Seattle or Bellingham Washington, for Mississauga fly to Detroit, etc.

If this is not possible you'd have to apply for a PR Travel Document.

future_canadian

VIP Member
May 10, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yaris said:
I've a full Hong Kong driving license for over 10 years. It seems to me that I still need to take the knowledge test besides the road test in Vancouver. Right?

Do they distinguish between licenses for automatic transmission and standard transmission?

Any idea of how long I've to wait for the road test? I wish to get a full BC driving license in a few weeks. Possible?

Regards,
It's possible but you must take the knowledge test and the road test. You will need to make an appointment. You might be able to make an appointment before you land, so you can get an appointment as soon as possible.

You can only get a license without a test if you have a license from a country with which Canada has a reciprocal agreement. Hong Kong isn't one of those countries.

More info: http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing/moving-bc/Pages/Moving-from-another-country.aspx

Yaris

Apr 17, 2015
future_canadian said:
It's possible but you must take the knowledge test and the road test. You will need to make an appointment. You might be able to make an appointment before you land, so you can get an appointment as soon as possible.

You can only get a license without a test if you have a license from a country with which Canada has a reciprocal agreement. Hong Kong isn't one of those countries.

More info: http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing/moving-bc/Pages/Moving-from-another-country.aspx
If it's really possible, I wish to book the road test online at this moment. However, the online booking page asks for a DRIVER'S LICENCE number. Any idea of what to enter for this field? I'm still in HK and certainly haven't got the BC learner's licence yet. Just input my full HK driver's licence number into this field? :D

My relatives warned me that possession of a full Canadian driver's licence may make the Canadian tax people consider that I've a strong tie with Canada for taxation purposes. Any idea if this will be the case? I certainly don't wish to pay double tax to Canada just because of the possession of a BC driver's licence. ;D

Regards,

Yaris

Apr 17, 2015
future_canadian said:
It seems to me that ICBC still requires at least a learner's driving licence number before they can process the road test booking. I'm not sure if there will be a long queue for the road test in Vancouver.

Assume I pass the knowledge test the next day after landing, do you think I could take the road test in 3 weeks?

Regards,

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yaris said:
It seems to me that ICBC still requires at least a learner's driving licence number before they can process the road test booking. I'm not sure if there will be a long queue for the road test in Vancouver.

Assume I pass the knowledge test the next day after landing, do you think I could take the road test in 3 weeks?

Regards,
If there is a long queue in Vancouver, then select nearby cities such as Burnaby, North Vancouver, Richmond or Port Coquitlam.

kanadjani

Star Member
Mar 22, 2015
Visa Office......
HKVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-12-2014
Nomination.....
21-03-2015
AOR Received.
27-04-2015
IELTS Request
submitted with the application
Med's Request
21-01-2016
Med's Done....
05-02-2016
Passport Req..
26-09-2016
VISA ISSUED...
26-10-2016
LANDED..........
soon
hello

did ANYONE receive any news from HKVO in the past 1.5 months?

might be slow due to holiday season.... :(

Serc

Star Member
May 22, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
HK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22 Dec. 2014
Doc's Request.
19 May 2015
Nomination.....
PER: 17 March 2015
AOR Received.
SLU: 26 Aug.2015
IELTS Request
Submitted wth application
Med's Request
21-01-2016
Med's Done....
11-02-2016, medical furtherance done: 07-05-2016
Passport Req..
13-05-2016
kanadjani said:
hello

did ANYONE receive any news from HKVO in the past 1.5 months?

might be slow due to holiday season.... :(
I have the same question... VO received my additional docs on june 15th and haven't heard any. How long should i wait for an acknowledgment or update in my ECAS ? (IN PROCESS,we received your application on dec. 22,2014.) or the next step maybe?

bestwishes

Jul 28, 2014
I've been too busy till now to post an update, it's a belated joyous announcement, our passports and COPRs are received already!!

Here is my timeline:

Appl: 22nd Aug 2014
AOR: 14th Jan 2015
MR: 26 Mar 2015
PCC: 23 Apr 2015
RPRF, PPR & DM: 19 Jun 2015
PP & COPR received: 3 Jul 2015

Thanks everyone who has been helpful in this forum, my special thanks to future canadian! Best wishes to you all!!