+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Frustrated with Transit Visa

bbender

May 22, 2018
Dear all,

First, I would like to thank you for helping all these people in need. I hope to find some solutions to my transit visa situation here.

Let me describe my status, I am a male Turkish citizen 29 years old, currently residing in Poland with temporary residence and working permits also I study masters in a local university. I have a problem with Canadian transit visa, and I can't understand why I am being rejected.

My sister will get married in United States of America in August, and I needed visa to get in USA. I went Krakow and applied, everything went smooth and the consulate granted me 10 years visa. No problem!

Later on I bought the ticket to Los Angles from Berlin, with a transfer in Toronto(grave mistake). I didn't know that getting a transit visa would be this challenging. I didn't take it seriously to be honest, hence, I applied twice with missing documents. And normally I was rejected twice.

Yet the third time, I put all the information on the forms, wrote a letter why I need this visa(my sister's marriage), plus I have attached my employer's attestation, my sister's wedding invitation, the soon to be husband's (USA citizen) official statement which states the reason of my visit (approved by notary in Arizona), the bank statement 7400 CAD, and statement from my school that I am enrolled to their program. Yet, again I am rejected and this time I really don't understand. In the feedback form, it is marked;

Purpose of visit (I have three documents to prove this)
Current employment situation (I have an attestation)
Personal assets and financial status (7500 CAD money in the bank)

Despite the fact that all the documents which I have attached, why I might be rejected? I am really lost, and demoralised because despite all the documents they have rejected me. What I extra documents I can put to change it, I really don't know.. I thought, maybe some of you can help me.

Thanks in advance!

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hi,

Sorry to know you were refused twice. It's probably because of this:
currently residing in Poland with temporary residence and working permits also I study masters in a local university.
Temporary status in Poland + again as a student especially if you would be graduating shortly.

and this:
Later on I bought the ticket to Los Angles from Berlin, with a transfer in Toronto(grave mistake).
There are flights with layovers in Europe and/or in the US too.

Unfortunately, the visa officer believes you are not a genuine traveler who will transit through Canada. I recommend you change your flight bookings to avoid Canada

Cheers

bbender

May 22, 2018
Hi Bryanna,

Thank you for the quick reply.

Temporary status in Poland + again as a student especially if you would be graduating shortly.
My work permit in Poland is for three years, at the moment I have used two. So, I have another year to go. As for the school, I still have one full year to graduate. Also, my education is not the basis of my legal status in Poland. Since I have the work permit, I didn't need to apply another permit to study. It is just something extra. Considering these two, wouldn't mean that I have ties in Poland for at least another year?

There are flights with layovers in Europe and/or in the US too.
Those were above my budget limit. So I chose this one. It seems to me that it was a mistake.

Well, anyhow, I was wondering if providing more documents from my employer would help my case? In these forums, some people are mentioning NOC/payslips/statement from their employers. Would that make my status clearer? I understand that avoiding Canada is the best solution, still I want to try one last time and I hope that I can convince the officer with better documents.

Thanks,

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Those were above my budget limit. So I chose this one.
That's understandable.

Well, anyhow, I was wondering if providing more documents from my employer would help my case? In these forums, some people are mentioning NOC/payslips/statement from their employers. Would that make my status clearer? I understand that avoiding Canada is the best solution, still I want to try one last time and I hope that I can convince the officer with better documents.
Even though it is a transit visa, you need to prepare your application like as if you're applying for a regular tourist/visitor visa/TRV.

It's not advisable to reapply in quick succession as it shows some desperation and creates more suspicion. If you'd still like to give it one more shot then:
1. Do post the list of documents you intend to submit

2. Strong ties to both Poland and Turkey (employment and study ties + property/land ownership and/or lease agreement + financial situation, including investments + dependent family in Turkey and Poland + previous travel history + 2-3 compelling reasons to return to Poland by a specific date with evidence)

Last edited:

bbender

May 22, 2018
1. Do post the list of documents you intend to submit

2. Strong ties to both Poland and Turkey (employment and study ties + property/land ownership and/or lease agreement + financial situation, including investments + dependent family in Turkey and Poland + previous travel history + 2-3 compelling reasons to return to Poland by a specific date with evidence)
I thought applying with the following documents,
-Cover letter
-Projects that I will be coordinating from September 2018
-Payslips for full employment year
-My employment contract
-My lease agreement
-My residence card from Poland/maybe the decision itself?
-Previous travel history(written on imm5257b_1 form, supported by my old passport)
-Statement from Notary that I am invited to a wedding(my sister's fiancee wrote this to be given to USA consulate)
-Wedding invitation of my sister
-Statement from my school that I am a student (again)
-Statement from my masters' thesis supervisor that I need to attend to a seminar.

These are all I can think of at the moment. Is there any which I am missing?

Thanks,

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
I thought applying with the following documents,
-Cover letter
Cover letter:
Formal tone, addressed to the visa officer, information set out in sections, point-wise information (do avoid long sentences as the visa officer may not have the time to read everything).

Suggested sections:
1. Applicant details + Host details

2. How I have overcome my previous TRV refusal reasons

3. Purpose of my visit/Proposed itinerary and expense estimates + Why I would like to visit in XX month

4. Funds available for my visit

5. My strong ties to home country + country of residence (employment + property ownership + dependent family + financial investments, etc)

6. Why I must return to country of residence by XX date

7. My previous travel history (tabular format for visa details + entry/exit dates + purpose of each visit)..... chronological order, last 10 years max

Reference all evidence throughout the application + make a separate document for the list of evidence

-Projects that I will be coordinating from September 2018
Evidence is key + an explanation about your responsibilities for these projects/why you must return

-Payslips for full employment year
-My employment contract
Also, a leave approval letter from your employer stating you will have your job when you return + bank statement to confirm the salary transfers

-My lease agreement
Highlight any deposit forfeiture clause + 1-2 rent receipts + bank statement to confirm rent is paid regularly. Hope you're not staying in a shared accommodation.

-My residence card from Poland/maybe the decision itself?
Yes + any health insurance/similar documents to prove your residence status in Poland + scan and include in the cover letter

-Previous travel history(written on imm5257b_1 form, supported by my old passport)
Include the tabular version of the Travel History in a separate document: Visa details + entry/exit dates for each visit + purpose of visit.... and color scan any valid visas + visas to any visa-required countries

-Statement from Notary that I am invited to a wedding(my sister's fiancee wrote this to be given to USA consulate)
-Wedding invitation of my sister
Marriage license (if it has been applied for) else do wait for the license and include a copy of it in your application.

An email from your sister and/or separately from her fiance saying how much she/they would like you to be present.

Are you her only sibling? Are you required to attend her wedding for any cultural reason and/or ritual? If yes, do include an explanation with evidence (if possible. Google can help).

-Statement from my school that I am a student (again)
Also, school brochure/prints of key pages of the school website including contact information pages + tuition fee receipt for the current and next academic years + leave approval letter stating you are a bona fide student, when your study program finishes, you are allowed to travel from XX to XX dates, student ID proof

-Statement from my masters' thesis supervisor that I need to attend to a seminar.
Also, a leave approval letter from your supervisor professor (same lines along the school approval letter, but also includes a 2-3 line explanation about your thesis, what stage of research you're at currently)

These are all I can think of at the moment. Is there any which I am missing?
Your plane tickets which have a Canadian transit (BTW if your return trip is via Canada, you must apply for two transit visas, not one) + any dependent family members in Turkey/Poland + financial investments in your name in either countries + property/land ownership in Turkey (if any)

Reactions: bbender

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
The large number of Turkish citizens currently claiming asylum in Canada is one of the reasons why you will unfortunately have a difficult time getting a TRV.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Alternatively, if you show the airline you’ve been rejected for a transit visa several times, you can negotiate for a minimal or free rebooking/refund for your flight.

DavEd

Star Member
Mar 15, 2018
Alternatively, if you show the airline you’ve been rejected for a transit visa several times, you can negotiate for a minimal or free rebooking/refund for your flight.
The easiest visa to get is a transit visa... if you have been refused so many times then best route your flight differently...

One of the considerations for a transit visa is why transit through Canada...?? Are they no other ways to fly form your home to your destination???
These are the factors that always affect a transit visa request...

Also to note is an unwritten premise that visa officers alaways bring when looking at any application.... the premise that each application is initially an opportunity or potential to overstay and your application has to prove that you are not....

Garry1728

Oct 13, 2019
I am also going to apply for the transit Visa for canada after one time refusal. Please someone help me out.
I have employment letter, pay slips, NOC, bank statements flight tickets. Please someone let me know what other documents I should need

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
I am also going to apply for the transit Visa for canada after one time refusal. Please someone help me out.
I have employment letter, pay slips, NOC, bank statements flight tickets. Please someone let me know what other documents I should need
If you have already been rejected, the chances of getting approved are quite slim. Find another flight. There are many flights from India to Mexico with layovers in Europe.