+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

FRUSTRATED with phone numbers not working. Questions from a wife abroad.

mrsmissingmr

Oct 19, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo USA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 8
AOR Received.
SponsAppr Jan28, PRInProcess Feb09
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Done....
November 2009
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
March 01
VISA ISSUED...
23 March 2010
Greetings, all. I apologize for my first post being the lengthiest, but I have grown utterly dissatisfied with the runaround I'm getting when it comes to finding a valid phone number to get my questions answered by a real human being. I know my questions are long, but I wanted to include some background information in case it makes any difference. I know that each and every one of us seeks hope that something will expedite the process.

Simply stated, I have been in a long distance relationship with my now husband for almost 2 years. Travel back and forth, short trips, etc. I most recently had an extended stay with him, during which time he proposed and we married soon after. I had to come back to the USA because of my visitor status limits. Another 300something dollars spent in the wrong place!

My Questions:
1. Does my canadian citizen husband have to meet income requirements to be approved
as a sponsor if he is only sponsoring me, his wife? We have no children yet, together or apart.

2. Does he require a co-signer in either case?

3. This is an -outbound- sponsorship, as I am back in California, USA after my brief visitor status expired. After submitting my application, can I go to Canada and be granted any sort of extended visitor or temporary resident visa so that I can be with my
husband while everything is being processed? I could arrange to have family forward any mail to me at his address.
****-Do I have to prove monetary assets to support myself
or have a return plane ticket as required before as an unmarried visitor? All of these flights back and forth have taken a toll on my funds and I am now unemployed, due to leaving a job to live with him before we married. He wants me to be back as soon as legally possible.

4. Because of individual wait times, can I send police checks and medical results during the
process or must they be sent with the initial applicaton forms? Does this delay initial approval/denial of case processing?
-And what about the Ontario Solemnization of Marriage? Can a copy of that be sent until we receive our Marriage Certificate?

5. When I choose the office I want to process my application in the United States, is that where
my spouse and I will have to go for the interview? Or just myself? Can I choose to complete everything in Canada? Or through the Buffalo, NY office, which is closer to him?

I appreciate any and all answers or experiences. I am new to the entire process, and am surprised how difficult it is to fall in love, marry, and co-habitate when there are distant borders involved.

-Mrs. Missing Mr.

whoopi83

Aug 17, 2009
Vancouver
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi

1. No income requirements.
2. No co-signer (this applies for parents or where the dependent child has a dependent child etc.)
3. You need to prove that you do not intend to reside illegally. Therefore as a US citizen I believe you can stay 6 months VISA free? But as a tourist you can't work.
4. Send police checks (state and FBI) plus medical with the application.
5. If you apply outland you will need to be available to interview at the office is the US you choose to process the application.

Alternative:

Re-enter Canada as a visitor and apply "inland". Someone else will give you a run down on this but in short:

Outland tends to be faster, Buffalo has a good rep for being quite quick too.
Outland gives you right of appeal if refused.
Inland means you can apply for TWP whilst waiting - though I have read this could take 5-6 months in which case going Outland may have turned your application around.

Others will post some more helpful advice.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. No, he does not need to meet income requirements to sponsor a spouse but he can't be on welfare either.

2. No

3. With a US passport, you can always attempt to visit Canada but they can refuse you if they believe you will overstay. It's better to have a ticket back and to be able to show funds to support yourself.

4. According to the application guide, you should send it all at once. You can find your forms and guides at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp

5. If there is an interview, which is not a given, only you will be called. They would choose a visa office close to you to do the interview. Choosing to complete everything in Canada is not an option with outland. It would be for inland but then you would have to be in Canada and you would have to stay in Canada for the duration plus it takes longer to process.

mitamata

Nov 21, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-02-2009
AOR Received.
27-03-2009
Med's Done....
03-12-2008
Passport Req..
29-04-2009
VISA ISSUED...
06-05-2009
LANDED..........
27-07-2009
4. Mississauga can and has in the past returned applications that didn't have the medical exam form or proper police checks included. So yes, you should definitely send it all together. Not to mention that if you send a little here, a little there, the odds of something getting lost or misplaced increase.
Just a reminder... the medical exam is valid for one year, try to get it done as close to sending in the application as possible. The police checks are usually "valid" for 3 months - that means that when Mississauga receives your application, they shouldn't be more than 3 months old.

5. Since you're from California, I imagine the interview would be held either in LA or Buffalo. But interviews are more of an exception than a rule, you only get called for one if there's something wrong with your application or if you didn't include enough evidence and such. The stronger your application is (get as much supporting proof as possible, all the required forms etc), the lower the odds of having to do an interview.

And, my personal opinion, do NOT apply inland. Inland applications are intended for people who are already in Canada and have some sort of status (work permit, study permit,...). They take longer (6 months minimum, usually more) and if you're unlucky, they can actually take years. If for whatever reason the applicant leaves Canada and is unable to return before the process is finished, the application is rejected and you have to start all over again. In your case, outland (processed in Buffalo) is definitely the way to go.

mrsmissingmr

Oct 19, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo USA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 8
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Done....
November 2009
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
March 01
VISA ISSUED...
23 March 2010
whoopi83, Leon, and mitamata:

Thank you so incredibly much for your time both in reading my post and in answering my questions.
I understand every case is different, but your advice has helped me immensely!

I had the same concerns about going to Canada during the process. I'm sure that would be a challenge, as I am given somewhat of a hard time every time I travel there.
I will wait a little longer to send everything together and wait a little longer to be with my hubby.

I will post once I have more to tell. :)

Thank you all again.

-Mrs. Missing Mr.

Cebuano

Oct 21, 2009
I think Americans can stay here visa-free for 6 months, but you will not be able to work. It's also required that you convert to being a Calgary Flames fan.

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
And learn how to say "eh?" with the right inflection. We are perfectionists in the frozen North.

mrsmissingmr

Oct 19, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo USA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 8
AOR Received.
File Transfer...