+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

From Working Holiday Visa to Permanent Residency HELP

diana_b

Nov 20, 2011
Hi All,

Just a quick question. I am Polish living in Australia for 3 years now. I'm 25. Soon I am planning to move to Canada under working holiday visa and I need some help from you. I am interested what steps should I take after arrival to apply for residency asap. Would finding a good company which would hire me on 2 year contract be enough? For how long should I work for Canadian employer before applying? For any tips I would be much grateful. PLEASEEEEE

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
For Canadian Experience Class, you need to have two years of Canadian work experience before you apply. So you will need to work for a Canadian employer for two years before you can submit an application for PR. See:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/cec/apply-who.asp

diana_b

Nov 20, 2011
Thank you so much for your response. Can you please advise me what should I do if my working-holiday visa will be only for a year what should I do after? Can I just stay and get working permit? What would you recommend?

diana_b

Nov 20, 2011
Or can I apply for working holiday visa more than once until I will gain my 2 years experience?

ben8286

Jul 7, 2010
diana_b said:
Or can I apply for working holiday visa more than once until I will gain my 2 years experience?
No. I don't think so. You can only apply this kind of working visa once, as they should not be a "tool" for people want to immigrate to Canada.
First of all, your job needs to be considered skillful worker or professionals , ie NOC 0,A or B. If your job right now belongs to any of these categories, you can ask your employer to apply a LMO (labour market opinion) for you and you can apply for a regular working visa, which allows you to work in the same company for 1 to 2 years. You can apply CEC immigration once you have 2 year working experience in Canada

diana_b

Nov 20, 2011
Thank you,

Just to understand correctly...
I will arrive to Canada on working holiday visa and will be able to work for one year. In the meantime I need to find an job (skilled...) and employer, and apply for regular working visa is that correct? After this time pass I would be able to apply for PR... Can you please advise if the work experience can be joined from Australia and Canada? And how hard it is to find an employer in Toronto.... To be honest it is almost impossible here in Sydney...

ben8286

Jul 7, 2010
diana_b said:
Thank you,

Just to understand correctly...
I will arrive to Canada on working holiday visa and will be able to work for one year. In the meantime I need to find an job (skilled...) and employer, and apply for regular working visa is that correct? After this time pass I would be able to apply for PR... Can you please advise if the work experience can be joined from Australia and Canada? And how hard it is to find an employer in Toronto.... To be honest it is almost impossible here in Sydney...
If you decide to apply through CEC, only the work experience in Canada counts, and you need at least 2 year full time as a skilled worker. So you can come to Canada first with your holiday working visa, and find a "skillful job" and ask your employer to apply LMO for you (but LMO can be hard to apply, and can take up to 2-3 months to apply). Once you have your positive LMO, you can change your status to skill worker.

Another option is you can apply through PNP, that's employer driven. So while the application is still in process, you have to be working with the same employer. You cannot quit your job or be fired. I am not very familiar with this program. So you'd better go to the other forum if you need more information.

I am not sure how hard to find a job in Toronto, and I am not sure what kind of jobs you are looking for.

Misun

Jul 21, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-10-2010
File Transfer...
25-05-2011
Med's Request
01-09-2011
Med's Done....
14-09-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
17-11-2011
It might be different depending on which county you are from, but as far as I know, working holiday visa is NOT extendable. So, if you don't find a skilled job very soon after you arrive in Canada and start the application for skilled worker's work permit right away, there is a risk of having to go back when your working holiday visa expires.

I had a friend who came to Canada with working holiday visa and had to go back because she could not land a skillful job and couldn't extend her stay here.

I'll say it all depends how skilled you are. What kind of job you are qualified for.

wendyk

Nov 21, 2011
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
OCT 30, 2015
Hi,
Working holiday program, you wrote u r from Poland. U can apply once with open wp and once with permit for one employer, between you have to cameback to the home country, You dont have to, its possible to send passport and than just past borders. But visa couldn't follow, must be time (week) between. What I know, many peoples try to apply after 2 years or few months before visa expired and always refused. WHP program is not right way for PR, better during stay find skilled job or better job under Experience class, NOC 0,A,B, B is most possible and get LMO.

In LMO your employer have fill to allow your place like whiling to permanent, you ll get LMO for one or two years. You have to pass requirements for Experience class and than apply, you can a bit in advance and keep it in process.

If you are female, better to find the Canadian bf or someone with papers .. who know what will be after 3 years.. maybe Canada stop or change rules again, you can see now from april, july and november..

I have been for WHP 2 years and now waiting for LMO, need one last year to stay there coz have a GF there.

PS:Choose Alberta or BC for your stay..

8)

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

ben8286 said:
No. I don't think so. You can only apply this kind of working visa once, as they should not be a "tool" for people want to immigrate to Canada.
First of all, your job needs to be considered skillful worker or professionals , ie NOC 0,A or B. If your job right now belongs to any of these categories, you can ask your employer to apply a LMO (labour market opinion) for you and you can apply for a regular working visa, which allows you to work in the same company for 1 to 2 years. You can apply CEC immigration once you have 2 year working experience in Canada
No it depends on your citizenship whether you can apply for more than one IEC visa (Thats what the WHP is now called). For example Australian citizens from 18-30 can apply for 2 year IEC work visas as many times as they wish, till they turn 30. British citizens can apply for 2 1year IEC. Polish citizens can apply twice. http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/poland-pologne/experience_canada_experience/working_holiday-vacances_travail.aspx?view=d

mishell

Mar 8, 2012
somebody pls answer me, i and my wife live in georgia,we want to come in canada,but to take visa is very difficult and inpossible,hwo can help as to give some advice ,how would we take visa of canad?