+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

From Visitor to Inland Spousal Sponsorship+OWP = Implied Status?

2nose

Star Member
Mar 8, 2016
Hi everyone,

This topic has been discussed many times before, but from what I can tell most are about a person in Canada with some form of work or study permit.

I am on a TRV (visit visa), valid until the end of April. My wife is sponsoring me and we plan on filing the application next week. In addition to the sponsorship, we are also filing to "change my conditions" from a visit visa to an open work permit. As a visitor, will I maintain "implied status" until a (hopefully positive) decision is made on the OWP? Or must I also take action to extend my visitor status?

Thanks so much for any clarification.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi everyone,

This topic has been discussed many times before, but from what I can tell most are about a person in Canada with some form of work or study permit.

I am on a TRV (visit visa), valid until the end of April. My wife is sponsoring me and we plan on filing the application next week. In addition to the sponsorship, we are also filing to "change my conditions" from a visit visa to an open work permit. As a visitor, will I maintain "implied status" until a (hopefully positive) decision is made on the OWP? Or must I also take action to extend my visitor status?

Thanks so much for any clarification.
Extend your visa.

If the PR + OWP package is returned to you for any reason as being incomplete (e.g. missing signature, missing form, wrong fees), you'll end up in Canada without status. If you apply to extend your TRV, that gives you a form of protection against this.

Reactions: dreamscanadian