+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

From post-PR to citizenship question

sevixs

May 5, 2016
Hi y'all, I am new to the immigration process. I have a question regarding the process after obtaining the PR. I am eligible for skilled worker express entry and I think I know roughly what the process looks like to get the PR card. But after the PR, what does the process look like? I know I have to live in Canada 4 out of 6 years after getting the PR card (along with other requirements) to be eligible to apply for the citizenship. But how long it usually takes to finally become citizen? Can someone tell me how long the process is going to be in general? Thank you very much and I am excited to join the family!

bonaddictus

Star Member
Mar 14, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
CEM
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sept 12, 2015
AOR Received.
Sept 15, 2015
File Transfer...
Sept. 25, 2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Aug 2015
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
May 11, 2016
VISA ISSUED...
June 4, 2016
LANDED..........
July 2, 2016
johnr said:
Upon being eligible for citizenship, to obtaining that oath, is the million dollar question. It depends where you live. If you are processed in calgary or edmonton, it takes some a year and others seven months at the minimum. Other provinces, some are on the 3 years stretch and still waiting. cic doesn't even have an idea how long they process applications.

Its a go at your own risk.
Just a follow up question, I know with the current C-24 you can not leave canada while your citizenship application is in process. With my understanding of C- 6, which repeals the intent to reside,when passed and effective, are you allowed to leave Canada while waiting for test or oath? It is just painstakingly long to wait for couple of years to visit outside Canada