+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

From PGWP - to SOWP?

Hicks25

Jun 20, 2019
ok, guys please help me with this then

I applied to my PGWP on august 2021 and got PGWP only on January 2022 for one year. So I was waiting for 5 months for my PGWP while all my coursemates got their PGWP earlier it was only me who got PGWP too late. Because of that I can not qualify for new extension PGWP program. Can I still apply for new PGWP extension program and explain my situation that if I would given PGWP in time I would be able to qualify for new extension program? can it work?

And the second what are the chances to get ITA with 461 scores through EE?

Thanks guys, today is the most uncertain day in my life.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
ok, guys please help me with this then

I applied to my PGWP on august 2021 and got PGWP only on January 2022 for one year. So I was waiting for 5 months for my PGWP while all my coursemates got their PGWP earlier it was only me who got PGWP too late. Because of that I can not qualify for new extension PGWP program. Can I still apply for new PGWP extension program and explain my situation that if I would given PGWP in time I would be able to qualify for new extension program? can it work?

And the second what are the chances to get ITA with 461 scores through EE?

Thanks guys, today is the most uncertain day in my life.
- Unfortunately you don't qualify for the PGWP extension since your PGWP expires in Jan 2023 and the policy only applies to PGWPs expiring up until Dec 2022.
- You won't get ITA under FSW / Express Entry with a score of 461.
- When did you start working in a skilled job after applying for your PGWP? Will you have a year of full time skilled experience in Canada by sometime in August 2022? If IRCC holds separate CEC draws, then there's some possibility you may be selected. However I wouldn't count on that since we don't know if there will be CEC specific draws.
- What NOC are you working under? Ontario might be an option if you have the right NOC.

Hicks25

Jun 20, 2019
- Unfortunately you don't qualify for the PGWP extension since your PGWP expires in Jan 2023 and the policy only applies to PGWPs expiring up until Dec 2022.
- You won't get ITA under FSW / Express Entry with a score of 461.
- When did you start working in a skilled job after applying for your PGWP? Will you have a year of full time skilled experience in Canada by sometime in August 2022? If IRCC holds separate CEC draws, then there's some possibility you may be selected. However I wouldn't count on that since we don't know if there will be CEC specific draws.
- What NOC are you working under? Ontario might be an option if you have the right NOC.
I will have one year full time of work experience on September first 2022, I applied to PGWP on August 2021 and started to work full time on September 2021. so one full year will be 1st of September 2022.
I work as Logistics Manager - it will not qualify for any provincial program

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I will have one year full time of work experience on September first 2022, I applied to PGWP on August 2021 and started to work full time on September 2021. so one full year will be 1st of September 2022.
I work as Logistics Manager - it will not qualify for any provincial program
Yes, I agree regarding the provincial programs. In that case I see your options as the following:

- Find an employer who is willing to go through the LMIA process so that you can switch to a closed work permit next year.
- Once you have a year of Canadian work experience, enter the Express Entry pool and hope for separate CEC draws with lower scores.
- Continue to be on the look out for any new programs announced by IRCC which could benefit you.

Hicks25

Jun 20, 2019
Yes, I agree regarding the provincial programs. In that case I see your options as the following:

- Find an employer who is willing to go through the LMIA process so that you can switch to a closed work permit next year.
- Once you have a year of Canadian work experience, enter the Express Entry pool and hope for separate CEC draws with lower scores.
- Continue to be on the look out for any new programs announced by IRCC which could benefit you.
thank you for your replies,
but if my wife enters university here in Canada? should I leave the country with my daughter and leave my wife here alone?

so only one option is the Canadian experience class that have uncertainty now. And will they consider my work experience outside of Canada if I can go through only CEC?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
thank you for your replies,
but if my wife enters university here in Canada? should I leave the country with my daughter and leave my wife here alone?

so only one option is the Canadian experience class that have uncertainty now. And will they consider my work experience outside of Canada if I can go through only CEC?
If your wife enters university, your daughter can certainly stay and continue to attend school. You could convert you status to visitor and stay at least temporarily as a visitor (although you won't be able to work) - or try to get a closed work permit through a job offer and LMIA with an employer. You just can't get a SOWP through your wife. That is the part that is not possible.

Yes, you would include you work experience from outside of Canada as part of your Express Entry application.

Hicks25

Jun 20, 2019
If your wife enters university, your daughter can certainly stay and continue to attend school. You could convert you status to visitor and stay at least temporarily as a visitor (although you won't be able to work) - or try to get a closed work permit through a job offer and LMIA with an employer. You just can't get a SOWP through your wife. That is the part that is not possible.

Yes, you would include you work experience from outside of Canada as part of your Express Entry application.
I heard that LMIA is really hard to get for Logistics Manager in Canada. However if I get LMIA what it can give me?
Can I apply for my spouse OWP or can I apply for spouse SP?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I heard that LMIA is really hard to get for Logistics Manager in Canada. However if I get LMIA what it can give me?
Can I apply for my spouse OWP or can I apply for spouse SP?
You will need to apply for a closed work permit if you get a LMIA. Your spouse can apply for a SOWP. Have you looked at OINP streams with a job offer?

AnkithaP

Star Member
Nov 11, 2019

Hi Just to Clarify I read through notification regarding this and couldn't understand if a spouse of PGWP holder can apply for SOWP (fresh case residing under visitor visa) or is it also not possible ?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi Just to Clarify I read through notification regarding this and couldn't understand if a spouse of PGWP holder can apply for SOWP (fresh case residing under visitor visa) or is it also not possible ?
A spouse of a PGWP holder can still apply for a SOWP provided that person was themselves not previously on a study permit / PGWP. Basically IRCC has put in a new rule to stop couples from extending their status in Canada by having the spouse who was originally the SOWP holder convert to a study permit so that the spouse who was originally on the study permit / PGWP can then get a SOWP. That's what the new rule stops.

It doesn't stop someone from applying for a SOWP under normal circumstances.

Reactions: AnkithaP

AnkithaP

Star Member
Nov 11, 2019
A spouse of a PGWP holder can still apply for a SOWP provided that person was themselves not previously on a study permit / PGWP. Basically IRCC has put in a new rule to stop couples from extending their status in Canada by having the spouse who was originally the SOWP holder convert to a study permit so that the spouse who was originally on the study permit / PGWP can then get a SOWP. That's what the new rule stops.

It doesn't stop someone from applying for a SOWP under normal circumstances.
Can you also help me get an idea about processing time taken for SOWP inside and outside Canada please ? Thanks.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Can you also help me get an idea about processing time taken for SOWP inside and outside Canada please ? Thanks.
It's taking many months. Depends on the country. Read through the posts in the Foreign Workers section of the forum.

Nov 6, 2023
Hi sir, I' m on my 1 year pgwp, which is going
to expire by, March 2024 and I' m getting
legally married this month in canada and my
future spouse has his pgwp till sep 2025 .So
after marriage registration, i' m planning to
apply for his spousal open work permit. Can
i work while waiting for the sowp after my
pgwp expires? Plz reply sir

Nov 6, 2023
Hi sir, I' m on my 1 year pgwp, which is going
to expire by, March 2024 and I' m getting