+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

From Atlanta to Calgary MY LANDING EXPERIENCE!!!!

C

cchabert

Ok this now my Health Insurance Card and Driver License experience:

Here in Alberta the offices of AAA (Alberta Automovil Association) offer the services to register for your health insurance card and driver license, but only to his members, lucky us the lady who receive us she is an active member so we went an ask if we can do it using her membership and they agree.

1.- Health Insurance card: I just fill the form and show our passport w/corp and a copy of the leasing contract, she (again another lady) input the computer and 3 minutes later she told us that the cards will be on our mail in one week.

2.- Drivers License: She ask for our GA drivers license and our driving record, she fill a form and then she told us to go and do the eye test, nothing different that the one we do in GA, after that she gave tha papers to a guy that he finished the process of filling our temporary driver license, taking a picture, (they keep the drivers license from GA) also we paid the fee of $130 CAD for both licenses for 5 years, yes I know more expensive than in the USA, and that was pretty much it, we'll got our official license on the mail also in a week. we got the class 5 license that means we don;t have restrictions, I hear a case of a guy who came from the USA and let his driving license expire and they gave him a class 7 one, means he can't drive alone he need to drive with someone who have a class 5 license for 2 years period, different rules of course different country.

The whole process take about 40 minutes, and yesterday Friday I got on the mail ours SIN (Social Insurance Number) on the mail, so now I complete the process to register and have all the paper I need here, the next step is start hunting for a job, the things here are in a different pace than in Atlanta, here people is more relax and more family oriented, people go home and eat with the family and return later to continue to work. :) so far super very good this country has treat us.

Questions? please have them I'll do my best to answer them.

Peace!

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
cchabert said:
here people is more relax and more family oriented, people go home and eat with the family and return later to continue to work. :) so far super very good this country has treat us.

Questions? please have them I'll do my best to answer them.

Peace!
Hi!

That's very interesting. If you don't mind me asking, what city is this?

xprsurslf

Mar 19, 2009
OrangeCounty said:
cchabert - Any reason they took away your I-94? Did you request them to do so?
Nicely written Cchalbert. It sounds like a pleasant experience.

My I-94 was detached initially but it was returned because I was returning back to US within 30 days.

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
thank you for the update and sharing the experience, cchabert !

magiqhand

Oct 7, 2008
CCH
First of all congratulations
I would like to have more information on the moving company you have used. You paid 1400 $ right? Was it for a whole container load?
If not what items did that money covered. I am planning to move my appartment stuff to calgary also and trying to figure out if I should contact a company or sell my belongings.
Thanks and good luck

C

cchabert

magiqhand said:
CCH
First of all congratulations
I would like to have more information on the moving company you have used. You paid 1400 $ right? Was it for a whole container load?
If not what items did that money covered. I am planning to move my appartment stuff to calgary also and trying to figure out if I should contact a company or sell my belongings.
Thanks and good luck
Good day!! It was for one Reli-cube if we're talking about the same company (Upak.com) and we decide to sell everything to have more money on hand and also to save money on the moving, remember that I was downsizing from a 3 bedroom house to a 2 bedroom apartment, so my furniture also won't fit, here to start there is the Ikea later you can upgrade your furniture.

Hope this helps.

Peace

magiqhand

Oct 7, 2008
It did help. I think I will sell all my furniture and just keep my clothes, my TV, electronic stuff, cookware and silverware.
Thanks for your help.
Keep us informed on your job search and on your settling process.
Good luck

C

cchabert

magiqhand said:
It did help. I think I will sell all my furniture and just keep my clothes, my TV, electronic stuff, cookware and silverware.
Thanks for your help.
Keep us informed on your job search and on your settling process.
Good luck
Another thing that customs ask me is if I have new purchases on my stuff, less than 6 months, if so she told me I'll need to paid import taxes. I don;t anything on me less than 6 months.

nomad_musafir

Jan 13, 2009
CChabert,

Congratulations on your journey, old friend! Good luck with your new life in Canada. Seems like you are having a blast!

Thank you for your detailed report on every step in this process.

Take care!

magiqhand

Oct 7, 2008
CCH,
Have you received your health care card, permanent residence card and DL yet. Have you tried getting an car insurance?
If yes how much does it cost what paper can help decrease the cost of insurance.
Thanks

C

cchabert

Good Day Guys!! Yesterday I received my Driver License, it looks so cool, the health care card is not here yet, but that doesn't stop you to go to the Doc, you just show your landing papers and they need to take care of you, so I'm not worry about that yet, if time pass and I don;t get my health card I'll need to see what happen, also for kids Alberta have their own Health Benefit and when the insurance cards arrive I'll apply for that, this will give to my kids FREE eyeglasses, prescriptions and dental visits.
Our PR Card in note here yet because that one take up to 90 days so any moment from now it can be on the mail.

I don;t have a car yet so I haven't deal with the insurance guys yet, I'll let you know when the time comes.

Thank you Nomad every day I'm more convince that I made the right chosie.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
congratulations with your driver's licence! why it takes so long for you to receive your PR card?

C

cchabert

Suin said:
congratulations with your driver's licence! why it takes so long for you to receive your PR card?
That's the time the immigration officer told us, so just wait, but because I'm not leaving soon I really don't think it's important to have the PR card ASAP. In the mean time just enjoy this great country :-D

optimusprime

Star Member
Oct 6, 2008
Hi Cchabert,

Just wanted to ask about the Driver's License. Would they ask you to get additional documents i.e. bank accounts/bills bearing your name and address?

Thanks!