+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

From a Student to Permanent Resident. Step by Step Instructions.

g_singh76

Star Member
Sep 5, 2016
Toronto
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
India
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
12-10-2016
Doc's Request.
28-01-2017
Passport Req..
15-05-2017
LANDED..........
25-05-2017
So, This is my experience of getting into Canada and getting PR. Please note that I'm not an immigration consultant, this is just a personal experience of mine.

* means it's been edited, fixed or updated.

Getting a College:
So, my first step was getting a college. Like everyone else, I looked for good colleges, and I found one: Fanshawe College, St Thomas Campus. My immigration consultant suggested me that we need to choose a college and course which can get you your VISA. If you don't like the course, you can always change it after your visa process. So, he suggested me some course, and I picked "Mechanical Technician CNC/CAM MNC1S1". The reason I picked this course was that it was matching my studies and there were literally so many jobs on "www.indeed.ca" for this field.

My Course & Education:
I took Mechanical Technician CNC/CAM MNC1S1. This course is related to computerized numerical controlled machines. It was accelerated program. An accelerated program is a program in which you can finish your two years studies in one year. So this course was an 8+8 month of college and 4+4 months of co-op.

Pros:
1: This course was good, you get to learn practical knowledge about the machines and metal removal methods and other stuff.
2: This was an Accelerated Program. I finished my studies in 12 months. No college breaks. I even went to college on weekends.
3: Got my first full-time job before my graduation day.
4: I grew very fast. I started as an Operator, and in 3 years I was promoted as a Lead Hand.
5: Good money, respect, and self-independency.

Cons:
1: The course was not university transferable. That means I will not be able to get credits if I decide to go to university. I didn't know that at the beginning, and neither did my consultant. If I want to pursue my further studies in mechanical engineering, I'll have to start from the beginning.
2: Practical knowledge wasn't enough. It was due to many reasons, accelerated course was the major one, but I handled myself. I did a lot of self-studies even after the college. Learned from others, worked with close minded people who wouldn't teach or show anything.
3: I had to pay whole two years of tuition fee in one year, well technically nine months. It is hard for a middle-class family, but I managed. I saved and used my GIC.
4: Finding a job in St. Thomas was next to impossible especially for a student and due lack of command in English. So, worked odd jobs in restaurants, gas station and roofing.

Problems:
I never had any major problem in college or with my studies. I was always ahead of my assignments, especially practical ones. But there were some.
1: Lack of students, we started as 12 batch students, and only two were left who finished graduation.
2: College was almost on the verge of dropping the batch and put us on a break, but they didn't. Thank God.

PR Points collected:- 370 ish

Work Authorization:
So you get a Co-Op work permit when you finish your studies, and after that, you get three years of work permit. I, however, made a mistake in applying for the work permit. I only got two years of work permit.

Mistakes:
1: I made a mistake in entering the duration of my course, and I didn't write any explanation letter. For other people out there, I'll suggest you write an LOE with all the details of your course and the duration of your course.
2: I was lazy in applying for a work permit. So, my co-op was only up to August, and I thought that immediately after co-op I'd start collecting 1-year work experience for my PR. So, I applied my PGWP in November(almost hit the deadline). That wasn't right. You see, your work experience started from the day your PGWP get issued. So, don't do the same mistake.

PR Points collected:- 463

I wasn't in the pool though. I could have done something but I couldn't at that point. My points weren't enough.

Extra points:
PNP: You can get PNP within two years of your graduation. So, apply right after your probationary period at work.
LMIA: It will get you 50 extra points.
Foreign Work Experience: If you have a shop back home or you worked a Full Time/Part Time paid job, you can get some points ranges from up to max 50.
Trade Certificate: Most skilled occupation has a trade certificate which you get after completing certain hours of full-time job experience. Most of them are around 8000 Hours or 4 Years. Maximum points are 50.

Additional information is available at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/express-entry/grid-crs.asp
http://www.collegeoftrades.ca/trades-in-ontario

PR Process:

Profile:
You'll need to make an account on MYCIC in order to apply for PR. So, after creating an account, you create an Express entry profile. It's pretty straight forward. Then they will ask you to make an account on Job Bank, and after confirmation, you get into the pool of other applicants. That's where you'll see your points.

Pre-Invitation Preparation:
1: Go ahead and get your WES ready for the CRS points you might have claimed for foreign education.
*2: Get your Foreign Police Clearance. Try Consulate General office of your country and ask for emergency services. You might get it the same day.
*3: Get your bank statements including past six months of account history. Whatever funds you brought into the country, get those ready. It should be on their official letter head.
*4: Your College Degree/Diploma and transcript scanned and ready. The transcript has to official & signed.
5: Get your Fingerprint clearance. It's called FIPS. Google it.
6: Passport size photo.
7: Medical Exam
*8: Offer Letter from your employer stating your job's duties, pay, job duration, benefits. Add some recent pay stubs. Hit me up if you need a sample letter or a format.
9: Scanned copy of your passport & work permit.

Post-Invitation Stuff:
1: Submit all the document as fast as you can but don't make a mistake. It's okay if you miss a document, they will ask you if they need anything.
2: Submit everything in PDF.
3: Keep your contact email address up to date. Keep checking your junk folder on a daily basis.

Approval:
After approval, they will send you an email and ask you for two passport size photos, Passport, Prepaid Xpresspost Envelope and signed Annex A. Everything requirement will be included in the email. Don't forget to get the tracking number of returning envelope. After a week or two, you'll get your passport back. You'll get two landing document, one with a photograph.

After you get you Passport:
Goto, the nearest border, tell them you are there to the flagpole. They will give a paper and send you back to the Canadian border. An officer over there will give you a yellow paper. Take that paper inside to the office and give them your landing document, passport with an immigrant stamp and that yellow paper. That's it. Hopefully, you don't see a long line but if you do then sit and relax, eat, drink. After you are done, they will keep one landing document and will give you your passport and another landing document. Keep that document safe for your whole life. You'll need it. Go ahead and apply for New Sin card and a health card. Don't forget to update your employer about your SIN number; your pay will not go thru otherwise.
So, after 40 days, you'll get your PR card. Congratulations. You owe me a beer & Pizza.

Let me know if you need any further help.

I'll keep editing it if i find missing information. It will be noted below with Revision numbers.

Rev 1: asked by johnrance87

What was my PR Stream?
I was in a skilled trade which got me an invitation under CEC. Just a heads up, you don't need to show funds if you get selected or apply under CEC or currently authorized to work or have a valid job offer.

For more information: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/funds.asp

I did apply for LMIA but I got it after invitation. Failed the first time but got it the second time. It takes about a month to get it. I'll post a thread of process and plan for LMIA in near future.

Last edited:

johnrance87

Aug 14, 2011
So, This is my experience of getting into Canada and getting PR. Please note that I'm not an immigration consultant, this is just a personal experience of mine.

Getting a College:
So, my first step was getting a college. Like everyone else, I looked for good colleges, and I found one: Fanshawe College, St Thomas Campus. My immigration consultant suggested me that we need to choose a college and course which can get you your VISA. If you don't like the course, you can always change it after your visa process. So, he suggested me some course, and I picked "Mechanical Technician CNC/CAM MNC1S1". The reason I picked this course was that it was matching my studies and there were literally so many jobs on "www.indeed.ca" for this field.

My Course & Education:
I took Mechanical Technician CNC/CAM MNC1S1. This course is related to computerized numerical controlled machines. It was accelerated program. An accelerated program is a program in which you can finish your two years studies in one year. So this course was an 8+8 month of college and 4+4 months of co-op.

Pros:
1: This course was good, you get to learn practical knowledge about the machines and metal removal methods and other stuff.
2: This was an Accelerated Program. I finished my studies in 12 months. No college breaks. I even went to college on weekends.
4: I grew very fast. I started as an Operator, and in 3 years I was promoted as a Lead Hand.

Cons:
1: The course was not university transferable. That means I will not be able to get credits if I decide to go to university. I didn't know that at the beginning, and neither did my consultant. If I want to pursue my further studies in mechanical engineering, I'll have to start from the beginning.
2: Practical knowledge wasn't enough. It was due to many reasons, accelerated course was the major one, but I handled myself. I did a lot of self-studies even after the college. Learned from others, worked with close minded people who wouldn't teach or show anything.
3: I had to pay whole two years of tuition fee in one year, well technically nine months. It is hard for a middle-class family, but I managed. I saved and used my GIC.
4: Finding a job in St. Thomas was next to impossible especially for a student and due lack of command in English. So, worked odd jobs in restaurants, gas station and roofing.

Problems:
I never had any major problem in college or with my studies. I was always ahead of my assignments, especially practical ones. But there were some.
1: Lack of students, we started as 12 batch students, and only two were left who finished graduation.
2: College was almost on the verge of dropping the batch and put us on a break, but they didn't. Thank God.

Work Authorization:
So you get a Co-Op work permit when you finish your studies, and after that, you get three years of work permit. I, however, made a mistake in applying for the work permit. I only got two years of work permit.

Mistakes:
1: I made a mistake in entering the duration of my course, and I didn't write any explanation letter. For other people out there, I'll suggest you write an LOE with all the details of your course and the duration of your course.
2: I was lazy in applying for a work permit. So, my co-op was only up to August, and I thought that immediately after co-op I'd start collecting 1-year work experience for my PR. So, I applied my PGWP in November(almost hit the deadline). That wasn't right. You see, your work experience started from the day your PGWP get issued. So, don't do the same mistake.

I wasn't in the pool though. I could have done something but I couldn't at that point. My points weren't enough.

Extra points:
PNP: You can get PNP within two years of your graduation. So, apply right after your probationary period at work.
Foreign Work Experience: If you have a shop back home or you worked a Full Time/Part Time paid job, you can get some points ranges from up to max 50.
Trade Certificate: Most skilled occupation has a trade certificate which you get after completing certain hours of full-time job experience. Most of them are around 8000 Hours or 4 Years. Maximum points are 50.

Additional information is available at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/express-entry/grid-crs.asp

PR Process:

Profile:
You'll need to make an account on MYCIC in order to apply for PR. So, after creating an account, you create an Express entry profile. It's pretty straight forward. Then they will ask you to make an account on Job Bank, and after confirmation, you get into the pool of other applicants. That's where you'll see your points.

1: Go ahead and get your WES ready for your claimed points for foreign education.
2: Get your Foreign Police Clearance. Try going to your Consulate General and ask for emergency services. Most of the time you'll get it on the same day.
3: Get your bank statements including your past Six months of account history. Whatever funds you brought into the country, get that documentation ready.
4: Your College Degree/Diploma and transcript scanned and ready.
8: Offer Letter from your employment including your jobs duties & Pay stubs.

Post-Invitation Stuff:
1: Submit all the document as fast as you can but don't make a mistake. It's okay if you miss a document, they will ask you if they need anything.
3: Keep your contact email address up to date. Keep checking your junk folder on a daily basis.

I got my LMIA after invitation. LOL

Approval:
After approval, they will send you an email and ask you for two passport size photos, Passport, Prepaid Xpresspost Envelope and signed Annex A. Everything requirement will be included in the email. Don't forget to get the tracking number of returning envelope. After a week or two, you'll get your passport back. You'll get two landing document, one with a photograph.

Goto, the nearest border, tell them you are there to the flagpole. They will give a paper and send you back to the Canadian border. An officer over there will give you a yellow paper. Take that paper inside to the office and give them your landing document, passport with an immigrant stamp and that yellow paper. That's it. Hopefully, you don't see a long line but if you do then sit and relax, eat, drink. After you are done, they will keep one landing document and will give you your passport and another landing document. Keep that document safe for your whole life. You'll need it. Go ahead and apply for New Sin card and a health card. Don't forget to update your employer about your SIN number; your pay will not go thru otherwise.
So, after 40 days, you'll get your PR card. Congratulations. You owe me a beer & Pizza.

Thank you for the very detailed post. Congratulations!

g_singh76

Star Member
Sep 5, 2016
Toronto
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
India
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
12-10-2016
Doc's Request.
28-01-2017
Passport Req..
15-05-2017
LANDED..........
25-05-2017

YAS212

Dec 8, 2016
@g_singh76 bro.. thanks a lot... I came in here from your other post about PLC (that was you with a different tune though, I hope its CGI employees effort made you comment like that lol :p)

Anyways both of these have helped me with a clear understanding of what to do especially the PLC one, once again thank you.. and I really appreciate your efforts.. :) peace...

singh_b

Mar 19, 2017

* means it's been edited, fixed or updated.

Getting a College:

My Course & Education:

Pros:

Cons:

Problems:

Work Authorization:

Mistakes:

Extra points:

PR Process:

Profile:

1: Go ahead and get your WES ready for the CRS points you might have claimed for foreign education.
*2: Get your Foreign Police Clearance. Try Consulate General office of your country and ask for emergency services. You might get it the same day.
*3: Get your bank statements including past six months of account history. Whatever funds you brought into the country, get those ready. It should be on their official letter head.
*4: Your College Degree/Diploma and transcript scanned and ready. The transcript has to official & signed.
*8: Offer Letter from your employer stating your job's duties, pay, job duration, benefits. Add some recent pay stubs. Hit me up if you need a sample letter or a format.

Post-Invitation Stuff:

Approval:

I'll keep editing it if i find missing information. It will be noted below with Revision numbers.

Rev 1: asked by johnrance87

What was my PR Stream?
I was in a skilled trade which got me an invitation under CEC. Just a heads up, you don't need to show funds if you get selected or apply under CEC or currently authorized to work or have a valid job offer.

For more information: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/funds.asp

I did apply for LMIA but I got it after invitation. Failed the first time but got it the second time. It takes about a month to get it. I'll post a thread of process and plan for LMIA in near future.
Great effort to help new comers but only one suggestion: you can start working "the day you applied for pgwp", it's one of the laws I found on Canada's law justuce site.

g_singh76

Star Member
Sep 5, 2016
Toronto
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
India
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
12-10-2016
Doc's Request.
28-01-2017
Passport Req..
15-05-2017
LANDED..........
25-05-2017
Great effort to help new comers but only one suggestion: you can start working "the day you applied for pgwp", it's one of the laws I found on Canada's law justuce site.
Yeah, you can start the work and get paid but your 1-year work experience will start from the date your work permit was issued. I might be wrong, they might have changed it.