+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Friends who have obtained PGWP - please help!!

rajat_bansal

Mar 28, 2013
hi all,
This is one question for which I am getting mixed answer from agents. And hence really need your help based on your personal experience!

Has any one of you personally completed a 1 year course and then received PGWP (Post Graduate Work Permit)? Since most college websites state the course as 1 year, when actually the course is of 8 months (2 semesters), so, I want to know what is the duration of work permit issued - 8 months or 1 year?

Thanks in advance!
Rajat

sabby2612

Mar 14, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1 year sir... and majority of 1 year diploma/certificates are of 2 semester which means 8 months... but yes there are some 1 year programs which are of three semesters back to back ... but in both cases, you get 1 year PGWP.

cheers!

rajat_bansal

Mar 28, 2013
Thanks Sabby for your prompt reply!
Have you personally received a 1year PGWP? If yes, what was the total duration of your Canada study?

Thanks,
Rajat

sabby2612

Mar 14, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
your question has already been answered Rajat... that's the standard procedure. please refer to CIC link for a confirmation.

so don't worry, one year program will fetch you one year PGWP.

Cheers!

ashishsheokand

Jun 30, 2013
Hey Sabby
I am applying for new TRV from India and I have my PGWP. what do u think how much money should I show in my bank account. Do you think it is a good idea include my receipt of school fee? As I am not applying from inside Canada so I want to make sure I do not leave any weakness for rejection.
Thank you

rajat_bansal

Mar 28, 2013
All, thanks again for your help!
I have received help from people based on their general knowledge (I feel fortunate that this nice forum exists)...however, now ****please respond to my question only if you have personally been in this situation****..

Has any one of you personally completed a 1 year course and then received PGWP (Post Graduate Work Permit)? Since most college websites state the course as 1 year, when actually the course is of 8 months (2 semesters), so, I want to know what is the duration of work permit that you received- 8 months or 1 year?

Let us quote only first hand personal experiences here (none better way than this to re-confirm all experts' knowledge) .

Thanks in advance!
Rajat

sabby2612

Mar 14, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
@Rajat, Yes the information shared with you is 100% correct and for your own satisfaction I suggested you to visit CIC website
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-postgrad-who.asp

now, as you will read the info on this link, CIC used "May" for all work permits, be it one year program or two years. However, with one year work program you get one year PGWP (program should be of at least 8 months).

cheers!

sabby2612

Mar 14, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
@Ashish, are you enrolling for another program? I am assuming you are, then college receipts and around 2000 to 3000 CAD$ should be enough. A friend here with me in Canada has just extended his study permit as he needs to go to India and he showed only 1500 CAD$ apart from the fee receipts.

Cheers!

VSK

Star Member
Dec 31, 2012
sabby2612 said:
@ Ashish, are you enrolling for another program? I am assuming you are, then college receipts and around 2000 to 3000 CAD$ should be enough. A friend here with me in Canada has just extended his study permit as he needs to go to India and he showed only 1500 CAD$ apart from the fee receipts.

Cheers!
Hi!
Did your friend pay the full tuition fees for the 2nd pgm & produced those receipts?
How much did he pay?

XYZ User

Star Member
Feb 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sabby2612 said:
@ Rajat, Yes the information shared with you is 100% correct and for your own satisfaction I suggested you to visit CIC website

now, as you will read the info on this link, CIC used "May" for all work permits, be it one year program or two years. However, with one year work program you get one year PGWP (program should be of at least 8 months).

cheers!
Sabby, I think the original question is.. what is the official length of this course with 2 semesters - 8 months ? Is it ONE YEAR ?

Also, what is the official length of a course with 4 semesters ( 16 months or 2 Yrs ? ) .

With that answered, the CIC website will clear ours doubts.

ashishsheokand

Jun 30, 2013
Hey Sabby
I am just renewing my visa(no study permit or anything else) from India and I have my 3 year PGWP. The thing is I just received my PGWP on June 25. So for this reason I wanted to include receipts of my tuition fee because till April I was a student and my main expenses were school and living expenses. Then I worked in MAY and JUNE full time so I could include those documents as well. I am showing all this because Canadian embassy in India need previous 6 month transactions.Moreover, I was thinking of showing 4.5K in my account and around 5K in my parents account. Do you think it make sense?? Thanx a lot

dbss

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
sabby2612 said:
@ Rajat, Yes the information shared with you is 100% correct and for your own satisfaction I suggested you to visit CIC website

cheers!
not entirely true..It all depends on how you present your file to Vegriville....you will need to get a letter from your school regarding your graduation and this letter determines how long you will get the work permit for from CIC. If it says your course of study is 8 months, you will get 8 months and if letter says one year then it will be for one year. I even know people who got wrong letters where there one year courses actually said they studied for two years and they all got three year work permits.

I know this coz this happened to a friend of mine. She applied with the letter which said 8 months and she got wp for 8 months. Her friend applied with graduation certificate which said one year, she got it wp for one year.

sabby2612

Mar 14, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Well if we go by what's in black & white... CIC says your work permit can not be longer than your study permit which means 8 months program fetch you 8 months PGWP.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-postgrad.asp

However, now talking about what actually happens, people have obtained 1 year PGWP after 8 months program. Now, there is trick, for example if I do 1 year program which has three semesters which means 12 months... I will get 1 year PGWP. However, if you do another program of 1 semester in fine arts, some people have obtained three years work permit too and some people don't get three years... so it's case to case basis, your credits... and so on...

@DBBS, yes CIC goes by what your college letter says... but what I also know and I am pretty sure, while applying for work permit, one needs to upload passport copies, study permit, transcripts... hence they know what duration the program was for....

sabby2612

Mar 14, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ashish, what u said sounds good. Although, I don't have much idea about how delhi CHC works on renewals... hence, I would say please seek advise from someone who already did it... I thought it was the case of similar to my friend... which i mentioned earlier..