+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Friend sponsoring New Wife

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

rhcohen2014 said:
i believe you click Canada (federal), then click on "Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada" listed under "boards and tribunals". I'm still figuring out the site myself.
1. http://www.canlii.org/en/ca/irb/index.html
2. Note there are no IAD cases posted for 2014, you should look at previous years or do a search.

CutiePie92

Dec 18, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Bucharest
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-05-2014
AOR Received.
10-07-2014
File Transfer...
07-08-2014
Med's Done....
30-04-2014; remed 24-04-2015
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
10-04-2015; 02-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
23-06-2015
LANDED..........
24-07-2015 soon 8)
Leopold_31 said:
Oh man there are so many red flags. Right away when you said "Spanish" in previous post I knew it had to be a girl from Cuba, who else would be so desperate.
And the fact that he never leaves hotels...
There are so many stories of old guys/gals being taken for a ride by Cubans
see i really don't get it. Cuba has only 9 months processing and several times i read a "marriage fraud" article, it was from Cuba. but on the other hand, european countries have longer processing times. how is that making sense?! i have no interest in moving to Canada, if i could i would convince my husband to move to Europe but there's no need for both of us to leave our lives & families behind.

i just really don't understand how some VO's have fast processing times but high marriage frauds.. CIC disappoints me more and more as days pass.. i don't wanna seem racist or whatever, but i'm just talking about the general idea and statistics about those countries - it's a fact that marriage fraud is common - with many exceptions of course - but i don't really see how "short" processing times would discourage fraudsters - quite the opposite.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
CutiePie92 said:
see i really don't get it. Cuba has only 9 months processing and several times i read a "marriage fraud" article, it was from Cuba. but on the other hand, european countries have longer processing times. how is that making sense?! i have no interest in moving to Canada, if i could i would convince my husband to move to Europe but there's no need for both of us to leave our lives & families behind.

i just really don't understand how some VO's have fast processing times but high marriage frauds.. CIC disappoints me more and more as days pass.. i don't wanna seem racist or whatever, but i'm just talking about the general idea and statistics about those countries - it's a fact that marriage fraud is common - with many exceptions of course - but i don't really see how "short" processing times would discourage fraudsters - quite the opposite.
One thing about Cuba - they have fast processing times... but also a high rejection rate. Maybe they simply make a decision (good or bad) quick in those cases. Why, I'm not sure. Maybe CIC classifies Cuba as a region to expedite because of the human rights violations of the Cuban govt?

M

mikeymyke

Same thing happens to applicants from China, Hong Kong, etc. They have large cases of marriage fraud, but they're processed very quickly.

kafka khaos

Star Member
Feb 19, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CMLR said:
My question is how hard will it be for him to sponsor her to come to Canada. She does have a child from a previous marriage that will come with her.
I get the sense that you are hoping it will be hard for him and that you think this poor old fool is being tricked by a wicked woman.

I sincerely doubt he is as dumb as you take him to be. Likely he just looked as his options, almost 80 and not wanting to be alone, and made a reasonable choice. At his age he can get a 60-70 year old western woman, or a 30 year old beauty from "the 3rd world". The 70 year old western lady is just as likely to be completely materialistic and just after him for his money. ( I have found western women to be extremely materialistic and high maintenance, so maybe that is just my opinion from my own life experiences. )

ABCml

Jan 27, 2014
BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Beijing
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-Feb-2014
AOR Received.
24-Feb-2014, SponsorshipApproved 01-Apr-2014
File Transfer...
01-Apr-2014 Officially rec'd Beijing 24-May-2014
Med's Done....
29-Dec-2013 "Medical Results rec'd" 01-Apr-2014
Interview........
15-Dec-2014
Passport Req..
at interview
VISA ISSUED...
16-Dec-2014
LANDED..........
25-Dec-2014
mikeymyke said:
Same thing happens to applicants from China, Hong Kong, etc. They have large cases of marriage fraud, but they're processed very quickly.
This a topic that always makes me curious.. There's a lot of talk about all the marriage fraud from China.. Is there conclusive evidence of this? I think often the term 'fraud' gets attached to a number of merely failed situations - scrutiny and interpretation of relationships lending itself to making a story either "true love" or "not-so-genuine," and sometimes unjustly become assumed fact, whether legally or as mass opinion.

M

mikeymyke

Read up on the past 4-5 years on marriage fraud cases from China and Hong Kong, they are quite numerous. At one point, the marriage fraud cases in Hong Kong were so numerous that the rejection rate was as high as 50% from that region, which is surprising considering Hong Kong is by no means, a developing region, and they have a fairly high standard of living.

ABCml

Jan 27, 2014
BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Beijing
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-Feb-2014
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
Interview........
15-Dec-2014
Passport Req..
at interview
VISA ISSUED...
16-Dec-2014
LANDED..........
25-Dec-2014
mikeymyke said:
Read up on the past 4-5 years on marriage fraud cases from China and Hong Kong, they are quite numerous. At one point, the marriage fraud cases in Hong Kong were so numerous that the rejection rate was as high as 50% from that region, which is surprising considering Hong Kong is by no means, a developing region, and they have a fairly high standard of living.
True about the standard of living being high in HK - actually more broadly and rapidly changing (beyond even what the world press has depicted,) in China altogether. It is amazing to see how much growth and wealth is changing the lives of even the more "average" folks in all regions there. I think the results of what is viewed as 'reasons' for marriages of a Chinese woman to westerners will be changing just as rapidly. Many reasons, culturally and economically, will, I think, tweek the overall perception of those governing opinions ::)

CMLR

Jun 19, 2014
Honestly I don't know what I want for our friend. I do think he is a crazy man. Yes he is smart but I think he is also blind. He has even said that if she left him quickly to him that is okay because he at least bettered her life by getting her out of Cuba. This man to me is a womanizer personality. I am 25 years younger than he is and I know for a fact, since he has told me directly, that he would never look at a lady who appeared 50 years old that to him is too old. He was our best man at my husband's and my wedding, We had a small intimate wedding with about 15 friends and family present. Our wedding was preformed by my pastor and took place at some good friends house. One of the people at the wedding was a woman in her mid 50's who looks younger, he was tripping over himself to get her attention. Even though just weeks before he became engaged to the woman he is now married to. I think for him the fact that he could marry someone so young was a sort of status symbol. In the 1 and a half years since he asked her to marry him, (they would have married within a few months but he could not produce a birth certificate and had to find other proof of his birth place, which is not Canada, then the first time they were to have married he went down there not taking all the papers of proof that he had as to who he was and his divorce decrees and since he did not have it all he ended up not being able to marry her during that visit) the things I hear most from him about her are, she is a Doctor, (which she had to give up to marry him because they do not let Doctors immigrate out of the country) that she is young and that she is very petite. To me this says he does not know her all that well even though he calls her often. (I don't know about now but I know for a long time they used a translation program both for phone calls and emails since she is limited in her English and he has almost no Spanish). All this said, I know I need to support his choice as my husband and he have known each other for over 20 years and consider each other their best friend. So how do I support him and help him navigate through as I am sure he does have an uphill battle much more than most of us. And how do I support him if in the end CIC says noway to her and her daughter being sponsored by him? I know him well enough to know he will appeal to as high a level as he can to win his case. So what does a person who themselves in trying for PR support someone who more than likely has a long road ahead?

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
CMLR said:
So what does a person who themselves in trying for PR support someone who more than likely has a long road ahead?
Tell him "good luck, you're gonna need it"

M

mikeymyke

ABCml said:
True about the standard of living being high in HK - actually more broadly and rapidly changing (beyond even what the world press has depicted,) in China altogether. It is amazing to see how much growth and wealth is changing the lives of even the more "average" folks in all regions there. I think the results of what is viewed as 'reasons' for marriages of a Chinese woman to westerners will be changing just as rapidly. Many reasons, culturally and economically, will, I think, tweek the overall perception of those governing opinions ::)
Frankly, I just think its because all of them want to live in Vancouver :p

CMLR

Jun 19, 2014
I can say I feel for those of you who are married to spouses from countries that are not looked on as favorably for immigration. I can imagine the extra stress it involves and the level of uncertainty. Yes I know that I have a chance of being told no to being sponsored but I also know it is less likely since I am from the US. For all of us going through this process, we need to keep our chin up. I know I do get frustrated and down at times but I also believe that God is in control and knows why things do not always happen as I would prefer them to. I know for me I just have to take it one day at a time.

ABCml

Jan 27, 2014
BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Beijing
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-Feb-2014
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
Interview........
15-Dec-2014
Passport Req..
at interview
VISA ISSUED...
16-Dec-2014
LANDED..........
25-Dec-2014
mikeymyke said:
Frankly, I just think its because all of them want to live in Vancouver :p
this is just a wee bit of an odd thing to say... I'll take it as satirical

CMLR

Jun 19, 2014
A question. Our friend yesterday asked me if his new bride would be able to get a Visitor Visa to come spend some time with him. I told him I did not know but I thought it might be hard since she is now married to a Canadian they might feel she would not go back to Cuba if they gave her a Visitor Visa. Any suggestions for him.

On another note. I just went into the USA and came back in with no problems. I let them know I was in Canada as an extended visitor going through the PR process. They asked me when I filed I told them and they said welcome home. They also asked me if I was aware of the date of my extended visitors status was to expire I said yes, it is not until next spring, and they let me go. Remembering I am an Inland Applicant and I have been told here on the forum that I could have a huge issue if I left at all I was a little nervous and had with me copies of our entire application and the receipt that they got it but I never needed any of it. :)