+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Friend in trouble, need urgent help ASAP!

Mar 18, 2007
I have a friend who is a Japanese national and came here straight from Japan for the purpose of studying English for several months. From my understanding, Japanese nationals are exempt from visa requirements for up to six months upon arrival in Canada for the purpose of tourism. She has been studying at the school for a little under three months now and she just found out yesterday that she was only given three months stay and she has until this Thursday to leave. She mentioned to me that when she arrived in Canada, the immigration officer was very suspicious of her intentions and scrutinised her with many questions. She was later admitted but she had absolutely no idea until yesterday that she was only given three months stay and not six.

At the moment, she is still enrolled at her school and her studies will be ongoing until November. She cannot leave either because she has not made travel arrangements to return to Japan as of yet. I'm going to call the Canadian immigration department on Monday for her but can anyone provide me with their number and perhaps the appropriate department to call ?

Any help would be appreciated. If her visa problem is not resolved by this Thursday, she will be overstaying and violating the terms of her stay.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Virtual Insanity said:
I have a friend who is a Japanese national and came here straight from Japan for the purpose of studying English for several months. From my understanding, Japanese nationals are exempt from visa requirements for up to six months upon arrival in Canada for the purpose of tourism. She has been studying at the school for a little under three months now and she just found out yesterday that she was only given three months stay and she has until this Thursday to leave. She mentioned to me that when she arrived in Canada, the immigration officer was very susipicious of her intentions and scrutinised her with many questions. She was later admitted but she had absolutely no idea until yesterday that she was only given three months stay and not six.

At the moment, she is still enrolled at her school and her studies will be ongoing until November. She cannot leave either because she has not made travel arrangements to return to Japan as of yet. I'm going to call the Canadian immigration department on Monday for her but can anyone provide me with their number and perhaps the appropriate department to call ?

Any help would be appreciated. If her visa problem is not resolved by this Thursday, she will be overstaying and violating the terms of her stay.
Have her send an extension request to Vegreville before her status expires. She will then have implied status until she receives a reply from Vegreville, which is taking 83 days. Which is sufficient time to complete her course. See: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/visitor.asp

PMM

Mar 18, 2007
PMM said:
Hi

Virtual Insanity said:
I have a friend who is a Japanese national and came here straight from Japan for the purpose of studying English for several months. From my understanding, Japanese nationals are exempt from visa requirements for up to six months upon arrival in Canada for the purpose of tourism. She has been studying at the school for a little under three months now and she just found out yesterday that she was only given three months stay and she has until this Thursday to leave. She mentioned to me that when she arrived in Canada, the immigration officer was very susipicious of her intentions and scrutinised her with many questions. She was later admitted but she had absolutely no idea until yesterday that she was only given three months stay and not six.

Have her send an extension request to Vegreville before her status expires. She will then have implied status until she receives a reply from Vegreville, which is taking 83 days. Which is sufficient time to complete her course. See: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/visitor.asp

PMM
Thanks for your reply PMM. As of now, she only has four days before her status expires. Is the implied status effective right when she lodges an application for an extension ? She is staying in Toronto which is quite far from Vegreville and I doubt they will receive the application before her stay runs out.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Virtual Insanity said:
PMM said:
Hi

Virtual Insanity said:

PMM
Thanks for your reply PMM. As of now, she only has four days before her status expires. Is the implied status effective right when she lodges an application for an extension ? She is staying in Toronto which is quite far from Vegreville and I doubt they will receive the application before her stay runs out.
Have you heard of couriers? 1 day delivery, and yes her implied status starts, if she has applied for an extension, on the last day of her present status.

PMM