+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

French Proficiency Category

Kanika Saxena

Jun 5, 2021
Dear All,

I received my ITA on 27.09.2023 in the french proficiency category express entry draw and after submitting my documents have also received an AOR on 02.10.2023. How much time does it generally take for IRCC to access these category based applications ? Can someone please answer.

Reactions: whoisbuzzlightyear
Nov 10, 2023
Category........
FSW
hello kanika, congrats on your ITA!

Can i ask which language you set as your first language?

In my case, I got clb10 in English, clb7 in French. Can I set English as my first language and French as second to get invited via French Proficiency stream, because in this case I can get more scores?

Thank you in advance!

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda

In my case, I got clb10 in English, clb7 in French. Can I set English as my first language and French as second to get invited via French Proficiency stream, because in this case I can get more scores?

Thank you in advance!
Doesn't matter what you set as your first language, if you have CLB7, you'll get invited. Read the condition here that clearly states you just need CLB7: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/submit-profile/rounds-invitations/category-based-selection.html (select French category).

• Love

Andyw99

Jan 10, 2021
Dear All,

I received my ITA on 27.09.2023 in the french proficiency category express entry draw and after submitting my documents have also received an AOR on 02.10.2023. How much time does it generally take for IRCC to access these category based applications ? Can someone please answer.
Congrats on receiving the ITA! I'm also begining to get started on my journey to get CLB 7 in French.
Curious, how long did it take you to get there? How many hours per week were you putting in?
Is 6-8 months a realistic expectation? I plan on putting in about 2-2.5hr everyday

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
Congrats on receiving the ITA! I'm also begining to get started on my journey to get CLB 7 in French.
Curious, how long did it take you to get there? How many hours per week were you putting in?
Is 6-8 months a realistic expectation? I plan on putting in about 2-2.5hr everyday
8 months can be realistic, but you need to put ~3-4 hrs/day. Many here(including me) have completed their french in longer, but there are definitely a few here that have done it in ~7-8 months.

To get CLB7 with no previous french exposure, you'll need the following to be realistically reach CLB7 in 8 months:
1. very good teaching curriculum that's laser focused on your weakness. Each month is crucial for you so no time to waste
2. access to mild amount of capital and willing to spend on learning french
3. 3+hrs/day

If any of #1, #2, or #3 is missing - you won't get there in 8 months.

Reactions: Naturgrl
Nov 10, 2023
Category........
FSW

Kanika Saxena

Jun 5, 2021
Hey, thanks... yeah so TEF requires 6-8 months of specific preparations, provided you already know the language. Studying for 2-2.5 hours on a daily basis should help.

Kanika Saxena

Jun 5, 2021

Thank you in advance!
Sorry for replying late... I chose English as my first language as I too had CLB 10 in English, It's mentioned that the language wherein you have more marks should be chosen as your first language.