+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

French PR holder and also Canadian PR holder, is it allowed?

Kindness101

Star Member
Nov 18, 2016
Canada
App. Filed.......
June 24,15
AOR Received.
Aug 28,15
File Transfer...
AIP - November 15, 2016
Med's Request
PCC request Jan 9th, 17
Med's Done....
June 24, 15 and December, 2017
Interview........
None
LANDED..........
April 9, 2018
Hello all,

My husband recently became PR of Canada and he also holds a PR status in France. Is he allowed to now maintain his permanent status in France?

Also, he submitted his French travel document and his French PR card to immigration Canada. Our lawyer said they will be returned to him after landing. He had his interview already, they did not mention anything about it. Does anyone know what he should do to get those documents back?

Many thanks!

Last edited:

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Hello all,

My husband recently became PR of Canada and he also holds a PR status in France. Is he allowed to now maintain his permanent status in France?

Also, he submitted his French travel document and his French PR card to immigration Canada. Our lawyer said they will be returned to him after landing. He had his interview already, they did not mention anything about it. Does anyone know what he should do to get those documents back?

Many thanks!
First, if you have a lawyer you should asd him/her these questions. They know better than strangers on the internet. If you don't trust your lawyer and instead ask us, you should ask yourself why you are paying a lawyer if - again - you trust strangers on the internet more :)

That point aside: Canadas rules for PR do not care about PR status in a different country. If he might loose PR in France would depend on the French immigration rules which no one on here will know to the necessary extent. Also note that generally European rules for residency are very different from the Canadian ones, so it's hard to draw a comparison.

Kindness101

Star Member
Nov 18, 2016
Canada
App. Filed.......
June 24,15
AOR Received.
Aug 28,15
File Transfer...
AIP - November 15, 2016
Med's Request
PCC request Jan 9th, 17
Med's Done....
Interview........
None
LANDED..........
April 9, 2018
First, if you have a lawyer you should asd him/her these questions. They know better than strangers on the internet. If you don't trust your lawyer and instead ask us, you should ask yourself why you are paying a lawyer if - again - you trust strangers on the internet more :)

That point aside: Canadas rules for PR do not care about PR status in a different country. If he might loose PR in France would depend on the French immigration rules which no one on here will know to the necessary extent. Also note that generally European rules for residency are very different from the Canadian ones, so it's hard to draw a comparison.
Our lawyer is free of charge for the mistakes she made in the past.....she is too emotional and bit bizarre...though she is about 60 years old, she is jaded and careless. We had to push her and we had to go to check every single document until today. Anyhow, she wouldn't know much about France. I don't trust her one bit!

We are going to French embassy to inquire and we plan to contact the immigration official who gave him landing. We have his contact info.

Spyfy thank you for your time.

Kindness101

Star Member
Nov 18, 2016
Canada
App. Filed.......
June 24,15
AOR Received.
Aug 28,15
File Transfer...
AIP - November 15, 2016
Med's Request
PCC request Jan 9th, 17
Med's Done....
Interview........
None
LANDED..........
April 9, 2018
According to this site: https://www.expatica.com/fr/visas-and-permits/A-guide-to-French-citizenship-and-permanent-residence_107626.html
You would lose Permanent Residence status in France if you are gone for more than 2 consecutive years. As this is a non-official website I would still do my own research on this, if I were you, to try and find an official source of information.

Thank you for this information.

As long as he has Canadian status, thats all matter for now. As French has united with Trump to bomb Syria. Now, who knows how many more terrorist attacks we have to endure in France!

immigration-info

Star Member
Aug 6, 2017
Visa Office......
Paris France
Vous n’a vais pas le droit de garde carte de résidence pour le deux pays même temps sauf si Ilya un carte de dix ans français