+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Freelance with Student Permit

betteka

Dec 11, 2015
Hi,

I have a valid Study Permit and still studying full-time. My question is can I work as a freelance with my own business because on my permit it was stated: "May accept employment on/off campus...". I'm working part-time currently (maximum of 20 hours) but I need more income that's why I going to freelancing.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-offcampus.asp

Any experience or suggestions?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You can work up to 20 hours per week - including your freelance work. So if you want to work freelance, you will have to reduce the number of hours you are working per week in your part-time job.

betteka

Dec 11, 2015
scylla said:
You can work up to 20 hours per week - including your freelance work. So if you want to work freelance, you will have to reduce the number of hours you are working per week in your part-time job.
But how can I prove (or them to check) working hours on a freelance job?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
betteka said:
Seriously, this is not the place to ask how you can get away with working illegally...

Reactions: skaushik29

betteka

Dec 11, 2015
canuck_in_uk said:
Seriously, this is not the place to ask how you can get away with working illegally...
Whoa whoa you can pull your bitter horses back to where they came from.

I have legal grounds to work as a student and try not to breach the Canadian law by asking in this forum. You are definitely not helping at all, so next person in line please? ;)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
betteka said:
You have to keep track of how much time you put into your freelance work. Make sure the hours you spend on your freelance work + your part-time job hours don't exceed 20 hours per week.

betteka

Dec 11, 2015
scylla said:
You have to keep track of how much time you put into your freelance work. Make sure the hours you spend on your freelance work + your part-time job hours don't exceed 20 hours per week.
I will. Thanks for the answer! :)

Reactions: DevarshRanpara

yyzstudent

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2015
You can work 20 hrs on campus and 20 hrs off campus. Totalling 40 hrs per week during semesters. It is not recommended.

You can NOT work more than 20 hrs on campus or more than 20 hrs off campus.

As your work permit doesn't restrict you to whom you are working for off campus, you can freelance. If you have an off campus job 10 hrs per week. You can freelance an additional 10 hrs per week.

You need to file taxes for your freelance work. That is how authorities can find out how much you work.

Also, if you freelance from home you need to check your lease contract to see if you are allowed to do so. You also need to look in to if your home insurance covers your freelance work from home.

Reactions: Hung Hoang

betteka

Dec 11, 2015
yyzstudent said:
You can work 20 hrs on campus and 20 hrs off campus. Totalling 40 hrs per week during semesters. It is not recommended.

You can NOT work more than 20 hrs on campus or more than 20 hrs off campus.

As your work permit doesn't restrict you to whom you are working for off campus, you can freelance. If you have an off campus job 10 hrs per week. You can freelance an additional 10 hrs per week.

You need to file taxes for your freelance work. That is how authorities can find out how much you work.

Also, if you freelance from home you need to check your lease contract to see if you are allowed to do so. You also need to look in to if your home insurance covers your freelance work from home.
No, it's 20 hours on/off campus. I wouldn't risk it and just go by the maximum of 20 hours per week.
About the taxes, yeah I would definitely put every income in there :)

Thanks for your input though.

harvijay1001

May 23, 2016
App. Filed.......
27-10-2016
it's 20 hours off campus and theoretically unlimited hours on campus.

It's just that on campus employers generally limit your hours according to your class schedule and to be fair to other students

yyzstudent

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2015
harvijay1001 said:
it's 20 hours off campus and theoretically unlimited hours on campus.

It's just that on campus employers generally limit your hours according to your class schedule and to be fair to other students
Actually it is restricted to 20 hrs on campus. Not unlimited.

I found UofT website listing the rules on their international student advice.

http://studentlife.utoronto.ca/cie/working-canada#node-534

harvijay1001

May 23, 2016
App. Filed.......
27-10-2016
As I said, there is no theoretical limit for on campus work but university employers do limit it for obvious reasons.

Here is a link where York University does not limit the on-campus work hours:

http://yorkinternational.yorku.ca/current-international-students/immigration-information/working-in-canada-opportunitiesandrequirements/

I saw similar information on a UBC page once but I can't find it right now

betteka

Dec 11, 2015
yyzstudent said:
Actually it is restricted to 20 hrs on campus. Not unlimited.

I found UofT website listing the rules on their international student advice.

http://studentlife.utoronto.ca/cie/working-canada#node-534
Yeah mine was written: "May accept employment on or off campus if meeting eligibility criteria as per R186(f), (v) or (w). Must cease working if no longer meeting these criteria."

So it's actually 20 hours off campus AND 20 hours off campus = 40 hours/ week ? I actually have a co-op coming up next year, that means I don't have to apply for a working permit or its the opposite?

yyzstudent

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2015
betteka said:
Yeah mine was written: "May accept employment on or off campus if meeting eligibility criteria as per R186(f), (v) or (w). Must cease working if no longer meeting these criteria."

So it's actually 20 hours off campus AND 20 hours off campus = 40 hours/ week ? I actually have a co-op coming up next year, that means I don't have to apply for a working permit or its the opposite?
You need to apply for the coop work visa as well.