+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

freelance opportunity on top of job

turpentyne

Aug 29, 2012
I'm not quite sure where to post this question. I'm just wondering how to handle this scenario:

I am currently looking for full-time work as a graphic designer (eligible under NAFTA for work permit). But I may have found a freelance opportunity that could bring me extra income while I look - and maybe I could continue freelancing, once I get a job?

But I'm not sure how to handle freelance work in Canada, when I don't have a work permit yet. And would there be any problem with me continuing this as a side job, once I do have a work permit? It would be great help to have freelance work while I'm looking for a steady income.

I know there's some sort of business visa for freelancers, but I don't have $10,000 dollars to prove I can support myself. I believe that's one of the requirements.

And are there any other unforeseen considerations for my situation, that I need to consider?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

turpentyne said:
I'm not quite sure where to post this question. I'm just wondering how to handle this scenario:

I am currently looking for full-time work as a graphic designer (eligible under NAFTA for work permit). But I may have found a freelance opportunity that could bring me extra income while I look - and maybe I could continue freelancing, once I get a job?

But I'm not sure how to handle freelance work in Canada, when I don't have a work permit yet. And would there be any problem with me continuing this as a side job, once I do have a work permit? It would be great help to have freelance work while I'm looking for a steady income.

I know there's some sort of business visa for freelancers, but I don't have $10,000 dollars to prove I can support myself. I believe that's one of the requirements.

And are there any other unforeseen considerations for my situation, that I need to consider?

You need a work permit for freelance work, and since HRSDC won't issue an approved LMO for a variety of employers, you are pretty well out of luck for side work.

komeil

Jun 7, 2015
Hi!

I'm also considering applying for this program. I'm a Graphic designer too and I was working with a lot of companies and publishers.

I read a lot about this self-employd program and I'm still not sure what kind of graphic designer is self-employd? I believe freelancing can be consider as self-employd?!

I have more than 10 years of experience but it's so difficult to gather all the information. most of the time there was no contract and some times I had full time contracts for 6 years.

I'm from Iran but I was living and working in Malaysia since 2011. I managed to find clients and make living here. So, I'm not sure my experience can be consider as self employed or not!

Pls help me if you make any improvement or get any new information!

Thank you a lot!