+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Free place to live in Canada!

kiala

Star Member
Feb 7, 2012
As a PR if I finish my money will there be a place to live in Canada where I don't need to pay any rent. Thanks

explorer101

Champion Member
Jan 30, 2010
CANADA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kiala said:
As a PR if I finish my money will there be a place to live in Canada where I don't need to pay any rent. Thanks
People do go for social assistance and it is aroung $600 a month and that is the end.
If you make your 2 hands to work, you would never need to look for free place to stay or social assistance.

kiala

Star Member
Feb 7, 2012
explorer101 said:
People do go for social assistance and it is aroung $600 a month and that is the end.
If you make your 2 hands to work, you would never need to look for free place to stay or social assistance.
Dear Explorer!

Thanks for the reply. I didn't mean I will not work over there, I just asked in worst situation if I am bankrupt and have no money left will I be able to survive in Canada or have to return to home country. Off course I am willing to work and I will try my best.

Can newly arrived immigrants get social assistance? Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Newly arrived immigrants do not qualify for social assistance and are expected to support themselves. This is why you must bring landing funds with you when come to Canada.

If you cannot find a job and have exhausted your landing funds, you may qualify for social assistance. Note that social assistance is very little money and it will not allow you to live a good life.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Right, if you land as a skilled worker, you are supposed to bring $11,000. If you go right away and apply for social assistance, they will look at your landing papers and say where is your $11,000.

If you have spent the $11,000 after several months in Canada and have nothing, they may give you welfare, that can be around 600 depending on the province. However, you can't live off that. You can maybe pay your rent but you can not afford to eat too. Of course you can go to food banks and soup kitchens in order to survive but this is not a life anybody would want.

Instead, go where the jobs are and get one. Then you won't have a problem.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I saw some homeless or drug addict people living on the streets. Is that the social assistance not enough to move them somewhere else to sleep?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I do not know if all the the homeless are together enough to be collecting their welfare checks and if they are, I am sure some of them are spending it on things other than housing.

There are homeless shelters but not all the homeless want to go there. There was a documentary a couple of years ago where they talked to some people and some of them said they didn't feel safe in the shelters and that other people would steal their stuff. Others said they wanted to be independent of the shelters. Yet others said that they didn't like to be told what time to arrive by and when to get up in the morning and that is why they preferred the street. The last group also said that is the reason they did not want to work, because they did not want to be told when to arrive and what to do.

In any case, the shelters are there and they are an option. If people do not want to use them, so be it. The welfare should be enough to at least rent a room in shared housing. There wouldn't be much left over for food but there are food banks and soup kitchens you could go to. It would not be a particularly good life. I'd say get a job if you can. Any job pays better than welfare.

Adroit

Jan 19, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
steaky said:
I saw some homeless or drug addict people living on the streets. Is that the social assistance not enough to move them somewhere else to sleep?
foot path absolutely free.

canada_future

Mar 2, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London, UK
NOC Code......
0631 & 6242
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IELTS Request
7.5 sent with application
Parks too...

kiala

Star Member
Feb 7, 2012
Leon said:
I do not know if all the the homeless are together enough to be collecting their welfare checks and if they are, I am sure some of them are spending it on things other than housing.

There are homeless shelters but not all the homeless want to go there. There was a documentary a couple of years ago where they talked to some people and some of them said they didn't feel safe in the shelters and that other people would steal their stuff. Others said they wanted to be independent of the shelters. Yet others said that they didn't like to be told what time to arrive by and when to get up in the morning and that is why they preferred the street. The last group also said that is the reason they did not want to work, because they did not want to be told when to arrive and what to do.

In any case, the shelters are there and they are an option. If people do not want to use them, so be it. The welfare should be enough to at least rent a room in shared housing. There wouldn't be much left over for food but there are food banks and soup kitchens you could go to. It would not be a particularly good life. I'd say get a job if you can. Any job pays better than welfare.
I agree with you Leon, I think these homeless people spend their social money on drugs and they purposely live on street by choice and also do begging. If you will offer them a free shelter they will not go I am sure, I think they enjoy this life style. I feel sorry for them that being Canadian citizen they can get free quality education which other people can't get living in 3rd world. How unlucky they are...

hmisabpk

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi

I think all members have given the almost same view that why someone has to go for social assistant? And why someone needs to choices the street life?
I haven't seen this thread before and replied the same query on my thread. It may be interesting to repast here with hope that no one should go for social assistant or food bank help. However if anyone is in the situation that they need helps (God forbidden & will never bring that situation in anyone's life) may given information and contacts will be helpful, especially list of settlement Agencies and neighborhood offices. (It would be helpful for people on refuge states to get immediate help, but sure not for PR people)

Below is the original reply link and post:
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/thousands-thousands-thousands-jobs-in-toronto-upcoming-job-fairs-t83858.0.html
« Reply #502 on: 25-11-2012, 10:52:37 »

kiala said:
Hi Kiala,

Yes!!
There are many places, subsidies housing, low income shelters, low income housing, Gear Income to rent, Rental Supplement Program, etc...
Many settlement Agencies and neighborhood offices can helps (conditions apply).

Below are the links and of the list of Settlement Agencies Directory and Neighbourhood Offices on same thread (reply # 306)

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/thousands-thousands-thousands-jobs-in-toronto-upcoming-job-fairs-t83858.195.html

Toronto & GTA :
http://www.toronto.ca/housing/about-streets-homes.htm
https://www.ywcatoronto.org/page.asp?l1=52&pid=75
http://www.ymcagta.org/en/youth/other-support-services/place-to-stay/housing-shelter.html

Do you need emergency shelter?
•Call 3-1-1 or •Central Intake 416-338-4766, 1-877-338-3398 (toll-free within the GTA) •Out of the Cold 416-699-OOTC (6682)

Important to know:
As PR when you landing you are declaring that you have enough money to support your family at least 3 to 6 month according to your family size. Further as PR applicant you have shown enough funds to immigrate to Canada. In this situation you can't ask any financial or social assistant from any government or non-Government organization.

Question:

If you have funds to support yourself for 3 to 6 month, during this period why you can't look for job? I am sure that you will find a good job, and even minimum wage is around $ 11 per hour, multiply 44 hours a week, 176 hours a month and you can earn $ 1936 per month, why you will be not able to pay rent? And why you have to look for social assistant?

Well!! Think positive and plan for early job settlement, not for social housing or social assistant. I know it is a big concern for all of us especially when we are settling in a new country, but if you are succeeded to get PR than why you can't be succeeded to get Job? :)

My apology, I'm not chastening you or any one, I am presenting the reality.
There are few other places, we all know where no one has to pay any rent and no one likes to go there.

I hope you get my point and may it helps,

Regards,

hmisabpk

SATDXB

Champion Member
Sep 11, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-Aug-09
Doc's Request.
02-Oct-09
File Transfer...
06-Oct-09
Med's Request
18-08-10
Med's Done....
09-09-10
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
19-01-2011 - Passport sent on 22-01-2011
VISA ISSUED...
11-04-2011
LANDED..........
19th May 2011- Thanks to Almighty!
Hi, very informative message hmisabpk!!!

Thanks for sharing..!!

Cheers...

lion.heart

Nov 22, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
sydney
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
june 2010
AOR Received.
In Process March 2012 then decision Made August 2012 reconsideration August 2012.. In Process Again october 2012
Med's Request
not now
Good Information , hmisabpk !!