+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Francophones - International Mobility Program - How to get a job from abroad?!?

Jul 13, 2020
Thanks to the International Mobility Program, Francophones are LMIA-exempt when intending to work outside Quebec and, If a candidate is up to a position on NOC 0 or A, he/she will qualify for CIC 2-week processing time for an Employer-Specific Long Term Temporary Work Visa. However, It seems impossible to be even considered to a position if you're outside of the county (meaning you're not YET legally allowed to work in Canada). Some employers will even request you to go to a face-to-face interview before deciding to hire you. How come? Is it possible, I rephrase, Is it probable to be hired being abroad and thus benefiting from those governmental facilitations that seems greatly desirable but also greatly taken for granted by employers?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks to the International Mobility Program, Francophones are LMIA-exempt when intending to work outside Quebec and, If a candidate is up to a position on NOC 0 or A, he/she will qualify for CIC 2-week processing time for an Employer-Specific Long Term Temporary Work Visa. However, It seems impossible to be even considered to a position if you're outside of the county (meaning you're not YET legally allowed to work in Canada). Some employers will even request you to go to a face-to-face interview before deciding to hire you. How come? Is it possible, I rephrase, Is it probable to be hired being abroad and thus benefiting from those governmental facilitations that seems greatly desirable but also greatly taken for granted by employers?
Face to face interviews are typical for unterviews in Canada at least for a final inteview. Employers want to get a feeling of whether you will fit info the company. If is often hard to get a realistic impressiom of a person over a virtual interview. The only exceptions are things like IT where a skill test is usually the most important anf things like agricultural work/food processing where temporary workers are in demand. Many of the applicants tend to be known to other employees. Given the current recession it will be even harder to find a job frok abroad since there are so many in need of a job in Canada. I would really focus on jobs that require a French speaker or bilingual enployee in areas where French is not a commonly spoken language. Povinces like BC, AB, SK, PEI, NL. South western Ontario including Toronto is another region.

Jul 13, 2020
Face-to-face interviews are typical for interviews in Canada at least for a final interview. Employers want to get a feeling of whether you will fit into the company. It is often hard to get a realistic impression of a person over a virtual interview. The only exceptions are things like IT where a skill test is usually the most important and things like agricultural work/food processing where temporary workers are in demand. Many of the applicants tend to be known to other employees. Given the current recession, it will be even harder to find a job from abroad since there are so many in need of a job in Canada. I would really focus on jobs that require a French speaker or bilingual employee in areas where French is not a commonly spoken language. Provinces like BC, AB, SK, PEI, NL. Southwestern Ontario including Toronto is another region.
Thank you for your answer, Canuck. It is certainly obvious this is not the easiest time to be employed in Canada as an overseer. The Covid19 has certainly affected many within the existing employee offer in the country. In fact, my concern is not based on the current picture of the job market but the whole system as it is and as it's been used by employers in general. I managed to locate throughout various Job-search engines some positions outside of Quebec that require either French or both languages to the post. And yet, the difficulties I mentioned before remained the same. I'm surprised, however, that you've included the Toronto area as a possible target for job search with these criteria. Even so, I can not understand the difficulties imposed by such employers since they have a lot of benefits from this hiring processing: they pay only 230 dollars for registering their job vacancy on the federal government database; they're not required to apply for an LMIA; if NOC is 0 or A, IRCC will process the employee visa request in two weeks (as opposed to 5 months at least to all other applications); the International Mobility exists exactly because there is an extreme absence of labor offer on specifics segments and necessities such as those offered to Francophones (who'll also be English fluent) qualified for NOC 0 or A to work outside Quebec. So the question remains: if there is a way, how could a qualified foreigner find a real job offer under these conditions even admitting the necessity of a face-to-face interview at the end, and only at the end, of the whole recruiting and hiring process?
Hopefully, someone will be able to give me some insight into this...