+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Former Failed Refugee Applying for E.E (Need Advice)

Juanita987

Aug 12, 2018
The LOE should be as short and brief as possible. You only need to say what and where, not why. Don't include any statements that are not %100 truthful or any facts that you are not %100 sure about. Do not use evasive language and never downplay any facts or state your opinion about things. The explanation should not read like a story but rather like a report, i.e. instead of writing "When I was 13 years old my family took me to Canada ..etc" it's better to write "In 2003 I was included in an application for refugee protection in Canada. I was 13 years old at the time."

If the officer has concerns they will come back to you with their questions, do not try to guess what they might want to know and then unnecessarily volunteer this information in advance before they ask.

Also, It is perfectly okay to say that you don't remember things when asked or that you haven't documented what happened with regards to any events that happened in your childhood.
Thanks, so I would write it as below:

In 2003 I was included in an application for refugee protection in Canada. I was 13 years old at the time. The case was rejected three years later in 2006 and we returned back to the U.S and then to our home country.

In the application my birth name was used which was "Sample full name" I have changed my name to Juanita Santos which will be found on all of the documents that I submit. I have also attached a notorized affidavit regarding the change of name from "Sample full name" to Juanita Santos.

Some questions:

1) I would like to confirm if in the LOE I should also state my date of birth as it was incorrect within the application so I was really 12 at the time? And if so I can mention it where I mention the change in name and if I do this should the affidavit also have something about the change in the date as well?

2) I would not mention and information regarding the change in name of my parents within the LOE, and I would not mention that I do not have any documents and such from the time period available.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks in advance

LifeDreamer

Feb 14, 2018
It is fine. When you mention your age, only mention your real age regardless of what DOB you had back then. The change in name and DOB can be mentioned in a separate paragraph and there's no need to point out it was used in the asylum app, it can be just inferred. So in the first paragraph you would declare the asylum in Canada, there's no need to say that you returned home after it was rejected. You can also say not granted instead of rejected. The second paragraph you'd declare the previous name, DOB and the periods you used this previous name and DOB. No need to mention that you used it in the asylum app as it can be inferred from the period.

When you complete the eAPR the document list will include a name change document. The guidelines allow you to substitute this document with both a LOE showing your best effort to get such document and any alternative documents. In your case you can use a birth certificate and your previous school records to show that.

Reactions: Juanita987

Juanita987

Aug 12, 2018
It is fine. When you mention your age, only mention your real age regardless of what DOB you had back then. The change in name and DOB can be mentioned in a separate paragraph and there's no need to point out it was used in the asylum app, it can be just inferred. So in the first paragraph you would declare the asylum in Canada, there's no need to say that you returned home after it was rejected. You can also say not granted instead of rejected. The second paragraph you'd declare the previous name, DOB and the periods you used this previous name and DOB. No need to mention that you used it in the asylum app as it can be inferred from the period.

When you complete the eAPR the document list will include a name change document. The guidelines allow you to substitute this document with both a LOE showing your best effort to get such document and any alternative documents. In your case you can use a birth certificate and your previous school records to show that.
Thanks for the clarification, I just want to clear a couple of points.

1) You mention that after the eAPR I submit the name change document. If this is the case in the LOE I should not mention that I have attached or will provide an affidavit as this would be required later.

2) You mention the below regarding the documents I can show:

"In your case you can use a birth certificate and your previous school records to show that"

In this thread we discussed the issue of the name change documents that may be required and you mentioned below the below.

"However in your case, since your name is consistent on all your docs it is okay if you cannot provide documentation for your previous name you only have to provide a letter of explanation."

I just want to confirm as I do not have government documents available with my previous name such as a birth certificate can I just show an affidavit stating the change in name only? I may be able to locate school documents but lets go with the worst case scenario.

Also if I do locate any sort of past ID the issue here would be that the parent name on it would not match with the name currently shown on my documents, so it might be best to not further complicate it.

Thank you very much in helping me clear and finalize the process. .

LifeDreamer

Feb 14, 2018
You will have to document your best effort in locating evidence of the name change + whatever documents that may be an alternative to that. This is your letter of explanation.

Juanita987

Aug 12, 2018
You will have to document your best effort in locating evidence of the name change + whatever documents that may be an alternative to that. This is your letter of explanation.

Firstly, thank you so much again for all of the help I as lost without your guidance, I should update you that I applied and have received an I.T.A. I have to submit further information within the application and would like really appreciate your advice regarding the below parts.

In the thread we discussed that my past history would be mentioned within the LOE, so I want to confirm should I mention all of that information in for the below questions, as when I select “Yes” I’m provided with a box to provide more information?

1) Has ------ made previous claims for refugee protection in Canada or at a Canadian visa office abroad, in any other country or countries, or with the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)?

In 2003 I was included in an application for refugee protection in Canada. I was 12 years old at the time.

I’m not sure if I should mention the change in name as well as the DOB here or should I leave this information for the LOE.

2) Has ----- been refused refugee status, or an immigrant or permanent resident visa (including a Certificat de sélection du Québec (CSQ) or application to the Provincial nominee Program) or visitor or temporary resident visa, to Canada or any other country?

In 2006 the application for refugee protection where I was included was not granted.

3) Has ------ ever been refused a visa or permit, denied entry or ordered to leave Canada or any other country?

I’m not sure if I should choose “Yes” or “No” here, and in the event if I do select ‘Yes” what details would I provide here?

Thanks so much in advance.

LifeDreamer

Feb 14, 2018
There is no box that appears if you select yes for any question, this is as far as I remember perhaps they changed it now.

Your answers and explanation all goes into the LOE. Even if you had the opportunity to write something when you select yes for anything, it doesn't matter where you choose to put this information whether in the e-apr, the pdf forms or any letter that you upload. As long as the information can be found somewhere, you are fine.

You are not required to disclose change of DOB, because it is not material, although I highly recommend you do so. However you must state your true age at any point in your LOE if you want to mention your age.

Question 2 used to be meant for people with previous immigrant applications and question 3 for people with previous non-immigrant application. They altered the wording over the years and it became confusing as there is now an overlap in meaning between 2 and 3 as in your case. It is up to you to pick yes or no, it cannot be held against you because the information can already be found in the LOE. Since you don't have to write anything (there is no box that shows up) I suggest you answer yes and leave it to that.

Juanita987

Aug 12, 2018
There is no box that appears if you select yes for any question, this is as far as I remember perhaps they changed it now.

Your answers and explanation all goes into the LOE. Even if you had the opportunity to write something when you select yes for anything, it doesn't matter where you choose to put this information whether in the e-apr, the pdf forms or any letter that you upload. As long as the information can be found somewhere, you are fine.

You are not required to disclose change of DOB, because it is not material, although I highly recommend you do so. However you must state your true age at any point in your LOE if you want to mention your age.

Question 2 used to be meant for people with previous immigrant applications and question 3 for people with previous non-immigrant application. They altered the wording over the years and it became confusing as there is now an overlap in meaning between 2 and 3 as in your case. It is up to you to pick yes or no, it cannot be held against you because the information can already be found in the LOE. Since you don't have to write anything (there is no box that shows up) I suggest you answer yes and leave it to that.

“Your answers and explanation all goes into the LOE. Even if you had the opportunity to write something when you select yes for anything, it doesn't matter where you choose to put this information whether in the e-apr, the pdf forms or any letter that you upload. As long as the information can be found somewhere, you are fine.”

“You are not required to disclose change of DOB, because it is not material, although I highly recommend you do so. However you must state your true age at any point in your LOE if you want to mention your age.”

Alright, so for this form I will write a more general simplified answer as I shared in my last post stating my age and that I was in an asylum application at that time. And I will not mention the change in name or DOB here in the application, but within the LOE.

“Question 2 used to be meant for people with previous immigrant applications and question 3 for people with previous non-immigrant application. They altered the wording over the years and it became confusing as there is now an overlap in meaning between 2 and 3 as in your case. It is up to you to pick yes or no, it cannot be held against you because the information can already be found in the LOE. Since you don't have to write anything (there is no box that shows up) I suggest you answer yes and leave it to that.”

For question 2 and 3 a box does show up asking me to explain further if the “Yes” option is selected so I will have to write for these as well. For question 2 I will select “Yes” and write the simple answer that I shared in my previous post that in 2006 the application for asylum was not granted.

I’m quite unsure about 3 three as I will also have to give an explanation and am not sure but I believe if refugee status is denied you are not ordered to leave Canada. I can select “Yes” here and say I’m not sure and mention the application being denied or go with “No”.

Another question I had was regarding the immediate family information that has to be entered, specifically that my parents changed their names after they returned from the names where on the application for asylum. I remember you mentioned that there is no need to share unnecessary information within the LOE, so I would like to ask should I mention this point within the LOE or could this be a concern. I will use the updated names for my application as these are also the ones found on some of my documents.

I personally believe that this should not be a concern as I’m the only one applying for immigration, but would like to hear your take on this as well.

Thanks for the help, looking forward to your reply.

LifeDreamer

Feb 14, 2018
In the PDF form there is a box but not on the e-APR. You can check yes for all questions related to visas and simply write a brief explanation in the box below. No need to refer which answer goes to which question, it will be obvious from the context.

For your parents, you enter their current names and info. This info is used in the future in case you sponsor your parents for a visit.

Juanita987

Aug 12, 2018
In the PDF form there is a box but not on the e-APR. You can check yes for all questions related to visas and simply write a brief explanation in the box below. No need to refer which answer goes to which question, it will be obvious from the context.

For your parents, you enter their current names and info. This info is used in the future in case you sponsor your parents for a visit.
Sorry I don't understand the first part, so I would select "Yes" for the three questions but the brief explanation will cover all three parts?

Alright so parents name change should not be a concern so no need to mention in LOE.

Thanks