+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

former canadian citizen returning to canada without spouse

kathy

Sep 30, 2007
I am a former cananadian citizen- have been married to an american and living in the U,S for 4 years. I want to return to Canada shortly . I have been told it would be best to bring my husband with me at the time I come over. Do I need to apply for anything before he comes? If he stays in the U.S. until the house sells, what does he then have to do to come across and how long would it take? Could he come as a visitor and then apply as a resident once in Canada to speed up the process?

Thanks, Kathy

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

kathy said:
I am a former cananadian citizen- have been married to an american and living in the U,S for 4 years. I want to return to Canada shortly . I have been told it would be best to bring my husband with me at the time I come over. Do I need to apply for anything before he comes? If he stays in the U.S. until the house sells, what does he then have to do to come across and how long would it take? Could he come as a visitor and then apply as a resident once in Canada to speed up the process?

Thanks, Kathy
1. Actually if he comes as a visitor and you sponsor him in Canada, he would not be able to work or attend school until he receives Approval in Principle about 6/7 months into the process.
2. I suggest that you start your reading at www.cic.gc.ca under sponsorship.
3. Since you are a Canadian citizen, you can start the sponsorship process now. You complete the sponsorship and your spouse completes the application with the medical and police certificates upfront and send both to Mississauga. If the sponsorship is approved (about 38 days) then the application would be sent to Buffalo, where the processing time for spousal applications is 3-12 months.
4. Start the process here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp

PMM