+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Former athlete facing deportation

Calgary#21

Apr 29, 2013
Hi does anyone know who I can write a letter to in Canada Immigration concerning deportation? I think I have very unique situation , if there is anyone with some info on whom I can contact please let me know.

Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Member of Parliament.

http://www.parl.gc.ca/Parlinfo/Compilations/HouseOfCommons/MemberByPostalCode.aspx?Menu=HOC

Contacting your MP may or may not help. Worth a shot.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Calgary#21 said:
Hi does anyone know who I can write a letter to in Canada Immigration concerning deportation? I think I have very unique situation , if there is anyone with some info on whom I can contact please let me know.

Thanks
MP assistance depends on reasons for deportation - if its some obvious humane situation such as a refugee application that has been refused on say a technicality and you have ties to Canada eg you've worked for 5+ years, have kids, house, paid your taxes etc then they may listen...if you have a rap sheet with serious convictions its no dice.

You need to get some legal advice ASAP from an immigration lawyer...forums are not ideal for advice on deportations unless you want to give all the details of your situation.

Good luck

cadvis

Star Member
Mar 23, 2013
Msafiri said:
MP assistance depends on reasons for deportation - if its some obvious humane situation such as a refugee application that has been refused on say a technicality and you have ties to Canada eg you've worked for 5+ years, have kids, house, paid your taxes etc then they may listen...if you have a rap sheet with serious convictions its no dice.

You need to get some legal advice ASAP from an immigration lawyer...forums are not ideal for advice on deportations unless you want to give all the details of your situation.

Good luck
a immigration lawyer is required to intervene... sometimes good people also have to go through this.....

Calgary#21

Apr 29, 2013
A quick run down on my situation.

Arrived in Canada as a athlete in 04. My last season 2011, my work permit expired in feb. 2012. I over stayed my work permit. Mainly because I owned a home in Canada and which was my place of residence. In July I had some legal trouble with a domestic case. Never been in any legal trouble in my life before that. At that point immigration came in and told me that I have an exclusion order for a year for my over stay. I have had to stay in Canada due to my legal matter but once it is over I'm sure immigration will deport me. I have never dealt with immigration on my status while I was an athlete because my job always took care of everything. No excuse for me not to know the rules or consequences that involve an over stay and other immigration matters. I have been in Canada for 98 percent of my adult working career and have payed taxes. Never claimed any legal assistance or EI. I do have a immigration lawyer but he has kind of been vague on what may happen. Maybe he doesn't know. Just wanted to get some if anybody has heard of a similar situation before.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Given there's legal trouble involved, I think it's unlikely the MP will be willing to help.

Is there any chance the charges will be dropped? If you are convicted, I think it's pretty certain you will be asked to leave Canada / removed from Canada. If convicted, you will also become inadmissible to Canada for at least five years (possibly longer depending on the charge).

Hope you have a good criminal lawyer working for you to deal with the charges. That's the most important thing you can do right now.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Just to add...

If your immigration lawyer is being vague, I would drop him/her and get a new one.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Calgary#21 said:
A quick run down on my situation.

Arrived in Canada as a athlete in 04. My last season 2011, my work permit expired in feb. 2012. I over stayed my work permit. Mainly because I owned a home in Canada and which was my place of residence. In July I had some legal trouble with a domestic case. Never been in any legal trouble in my life before that. At that point immigration came in and told me that I have an exclusion order for a year for my over stay. I have had to stay in Canada due to my legal matter but once it is over I'm sure immigration will deport me. I have never dealt with immigration on my status while I was an athlete because my job always took care of everything. No excuse for me not to know the rules or consequences that involve an over stay and other immigration matters. I have been in Canada for 98 percent of my adult working career and have payed taxes. Never claimed any legal assistance or EI. I do have a immigration lawyer but he has kind of been vague on what may happen. Maybe he doesn't know. Just wanted to get some if anybody has heard of a similar situation before.
1. As per Scylla its time for you to consider changing lawyers.

2. I'm sure you know home ownership doesn't mean you can just say in Canada in breach of the immigration laws. Why did you not apply for PR when on a WP?

3. You/ your new lawyer need to determine what section of the Criminal Code your domestic situation has/could/is charged with e.g. assault/ harassment etc and the maximum penalty. If its jail time then your chances of staying in Canada are slim to none. The charge must be referenced against the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act on grounds of inadmissibility...time is not on your side!

canehdian

Nov 7, 2012
I don't think that your case looks good for being able to stay in Canada. After your sentencing for the mentioned domestic situation, it is likely that you will be deported back to the US.

Best of luck to you, and thanks for your great years of service to Calgary.