+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Form IMM 5604 - Non- accompanying parent wont sign

glj18

Oct 15, 2017
Hi all,

Our application is at the additional documentation stage, and we've been asked to submit form IMM 5604.

The thing is, my husband has full custody of his daughter (with the stated right to determine location) but the mother has repeatedly refused to sign the form. Having read several threads on here, it seems that full legal custody is accepted in place of the form, so I included the agreement in the original application, along with a letter explaining the missing 5604 form , yet here we are with it being requested.

Does anyone know what our options are here? Can i resubmit the agreement and letter, or is there a way to contact the agent assessing our application tp explain the situation?
Am I wrong in thinking the custody agreement is enough??

Any guidance here is much appreciated

Reactions: Krysse

shalenabennie

Champion Member
Jan 17, 2017
Visa Office......
London
I BELIEVE as long a he has full custody, he doesn't need her signature but I'm not 100 on that. An experienced member cab give you a definite answer. Good luck

glj18

Oct 15, 2017
Thank you for responding Shalena. I'm wondering if they ignored the agreement I sent in the original application bc it wasnt relevant at the time..

We'll try re-sending it and see what kind of response we get, and keep working on this difficult woman in the meantime..

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thank you for responding Shalena. I'm wondering if they ignored the agreement I sent in the original application bc it wasnt relevant at the time..

We'll try re-sending it and see what kind of response we get, and keep working on this difficult woman in the meantime..
Some VOs really needs things spelled out for them like they are a child. Re-send the agreement with an explanation and specifically point out with colourful post-it stickies and bright yellow highlighter the part where it states he has full custody and the right to move the child.

glj18

Oct 15, 2017
Some VOs really needs things spelled out for them like they are a child. Re-send the agreement with an explanation and specifically point out with colourful post-it stickies and bright yellow highlighter the part where it states he has full custody and the right to move the child.
lol, good call

Krysse

Star Member
Jan 7, 2019
Facing the same here except that my ex was abusive. There is no way he will sign it and I've tried texting and calling him but he won't respond. I do have sole legal and physical custody of our daughter and he is only allowed 4, 2hr supervised visits a year. He is also allowed to come here but refuses to......I sent the custody paperwork but they are requesting the 5604 again..... has anyone been able to send in a letter explaining they have custody and showing that the court documents allow the child to move?

Ekdavido

Jun 21, 2019
Facing the same here except that my ex was abusive. There is no way he will sign it and I've tried texting and calling him but he won't respond. I do have sole legal and physical custody of our daughter and he is only allowed 4, 2hr supervised visits a year. He is also allowed to come here but refuses to......I sent the custody paperwork but they are requesting the 5604 again..... has anyone been able to send in a letter explaining they have custody and showing that the court documents allow the child to move?
Have you been able to sort this out? Quite a difficult case

Reactions: Krysse

Krysse

Star Member
Jan 7, 2019
Have you been able to sort this out? Quite a difficult case
I was. Thank you for checking in. Me and my daughter got our permanent residency on September 16th.❤ I had to write a statement (ended up being 2 pages long) on why my ex wouldn't sign and attach police reports, personal protection orders, court documents showing the history of abuse and that I had sole legal, sole physical custody plus it showed that the courts allowed me to move here. It was very painful to go through all of that again, almost like reliving the abuse, but it was worth it in the end.

Krysse

Star Member
Jan 7, 2019
I was. Thank you for checking in. Me and my daughter got our permanent residency on September 16th.❤ I had to write a statement (ended up being 2 pages long) on why my ex wouldn't sign and attach police reports, personal protection orders, court documents showing the history of abuse and that I had sole legal, sole physical custody plus it showed that the courts allowed me to move here. It was very painful to go through all of that again, almost like reliving the abuse, but it was worth it in the end.
All and all, 31 pages long......

tamarindball

Sep 10, 2012
Ontario
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Kingston
App. Filed.......
November 30, 2012
AOR Received.
December 11, 2012
File Transfer...
January 9, 2013
Med's Done....
November 13, 2012
Wow. Congrats on the PR. I have a question. Is a consent letter adequate from one parent if they were not married and was only common-law spouses should one parent decide to migrate to Canada with the child. There is no custody agreement so is a consent letter only sufficient and is the IMM1504 for required?