+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Form 5406

Home_I_will_be

Jan 4, 2018
I looked through all of the 5406 questions and answers, but non of the questions ask what I need to know.
I am Canadian, sponsoring my husband who is american.
We're living in the US at this time.
His 26 year old daughter and 16 year old daughter live with their mother on the other side of the country.
We have little contact with them.

When filling out the form, i believe my husband is the only one who needs to fill it out, not me?? Am I correct??
It says everyone over 18 needs to fill it out??
Does that mean his 26 year old daughter??
And what about his 16 year old daughter?? The mother has full custody of both.

Thank you

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I looked through all of the 5406 questions and answers, but non of the questions ask what I need to know.
I am Canadian, sponsoring my husband who is american.
We're living in the US at this time.
His 26 year old daughter and 16 year old daughter live with their mother on the other side of the country.
We have little contact with them.

When filling out the form, i believe my husband is the only one who needs to fill it out, not me?? Am I correct??
It says everyone over 18 needs to fill it out??
Does that mean his 26 year old daughter??
And what about his 16 year old daughter?? The mother has full custody of both.

Thank you
His 26 year old daughter is not a dependent and is not included in the app.

His 16 year old daughter is a dependent and must be included in the app and undergo a medical.

Home_I_will_be

Jan 4, 2018
His 26 year old daughter is not a dependent and is not included in the app.

His 16 year old daughter is a dependent and must be included in the app and undergo a medical.
His 16 year old daughter is not coming with us to canada, and never will. She lives with his ex wife in Wyoming, we live in NY. She is not his dependent, all rights were handed over to the wife.

Home_I_will_be

Jan 4, 2018
His 16 year old daughter is not coming with us to canada, and never will. She lives with his ex wife in Wyoming, we live in NY. She is not his dependent, all rights were handed over to the wife.
And it also says that everyone over 18 fills out their own, even if they arent going to canada. That would be the 26 year old, not the 16 year old?? Im so confused!!!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
And it also says that everyone over 18 fills out their own, even if they arent going to canada. That would be the 26 year old, not the 16 year old?? Im so confused!!!
No, it says that DEPENDENTS over 18 fill out their own. The 26 year old is not a dependent and the 16 year old is not over 18, so neither fill it out.

Home_I_will_be

Jan 4, 2018
No, it says that DEPENDENTS over 18 fill out their own. The 26 year old is not a dependent and the 16 year old is not over 18, so neither fill it out.
Thank you, i appreciate your help. Sorry Im a pain, I just have one more question?? Does he just list them on the form?? like he listed his mother, father, brother and sister....and thats it??

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
It doesn't matter if the ex has full custody and the daughter doesn't intend on coming to Canada. Unless his parental rights have actually been legally terminated, she is still considered his legal dependent and must be included in the app.

He will need to get a notarized letter stating that he understands his child will be excluded from the Family Class and he can never sponsor her. IRCC does not like excluding dependent children, so they may request further documentation and it may delay the app.

Home_I_will_be

Jan 4, 2018
It doesn't matter if the ex has full custody and the daughter doesn't intend on coming to Canada. Unless his parental rights have actually been legally terminated, she is still considered his legal dependent and must be included in the app.

He will need to get a notarized letter stating that he understands his child will be excluded from the Family Class and he can never sponsor her. IRCC does not like excluding dependent children, so they may request further documentation and it may delay the app.
She’s autistic, and we will have to forse her and her mother to comply. Which isn’t fair, but, what I wanted to know is....

We list her as a dependent on form IMM0008, and state she’s not coming...?

We list her and his adult daughter both on the additional family form... ? and they don’t need to do their own?

We send it in and wait? It that it?

She doesn’t even have a passport or photos, are they needed?

What happens next as far as the 16 year old girl? (Medical, interview, paperwork....etc) we want to prepare her, this will not go down easy. They live 2000 miles away.

Thank you

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Ask the mother to have the medical done, making sure she understands that regardless of custody agreements, the child cannot immigrate without her express permission anyways. If she agrees, you include the child and complete the app as normal. If the mother refuses, then you need to request that IRCC exclude the child. In that case, your husband needs to include the notarized letter, the custody agreement and any communication from the mother refusing.

If exclusion is the route you end up taking, then include those proofs in the initial submission.

We list her as a dependent on form IMM0008, and state she’s not coming...?

We list her and his adult daughter both on the additional family form... ? and they don’t need to do their own?

We send it in and wait? It that it?

She doesn’t even have a passport or photos, are they needed?

What happens next as far as the 16 year old girl? (Medical, interview, paperwork....etc) we want to prepare her, this will not go down easy. They live 2000 miles away.
Yes.

Yes.

As explained above.

Not needed.

If the mother agrees, she has a medical and your husband submits a copy of her birth certificate. That's it.

Home_I_will_be

Jan 4, 2018
Ask the mother to have the medical done, making sure she understands that regardless of custody agreements, the child cannot immigrate without her express permission anyways. If she agrees, you include the child and complete the app as normal. If the mother refuses, then you need to request that IRCC exclude the child. In that case, your husband needs to include the notarized letter, the custody agreement and any communication from the mother refusing.

If exclusion is the route you end up taking, then include those proofs in the initial submission.

Yes.

Yes.

As explained above.

Not needed.

If the mother agrees, she has a medical and your husband submits a copy of her birth certificate. That's it.
Thank you, that helped a lot.
Do you happen to know how the medical part works? We live in NY and she lives in WY. I understand they send a list of doctors in our area, I’m not sure if they will pick up on the different addresses. Can we choose any of the doctors on the list online and do we make our own appointments? Can we do it in Canada or the US. Hamilton is closer than New York city, and I’m not sure insurance here in the US will cover it anyway.
It also says online that the medical can be done anytime. Don’t we need the paperwork first? And when they say anytime, does that mean before the application is sent in and, after we send it in? Is there an expiry date on the medical, since the application could take longer than a year. Thank you.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thank you, that helped a lot.
Do you happen to know how the medical part works? We live in NY and she lives in WY. I understand they send a list of doctors in our area, I’m not sure if they will pick up on the different addresses. Can we choose any of the doctors on the list online and do we make our own appointments? Can we do it in Canada or the US. Hamilton is closer than New York city, and I’m not sure insurance here in the US will cover it anyway.
It also says online that the medical can be done anytime. Don’t we need the paperwork first? And when they say anytime, does that mean before the application is sent in and, after we send it in? Is there an expiry date on the medical, since the application could take longer than a year. Thank you.
IRCC doesn't send you a list of doctors in your area. It is up to you to pick any Panel Physician on the website and sort out your own appointment. Insurance doesn't cover it, as it is an elective medical. You cannot do the medical upfront. IRCC will send a medical request and give you 30 days to get it done. The medical is valid for a year.

Home_I_will_be

Jan 4, 2018
IRCC doesn't send you a list of doctors in your area. It is up to you to pick any Panel Physician on the website and sort out your own appointment. Insurance doesn't cover it, as it is an elective medical. You cannot do the medical upfront. IRCC will send a medical request and give you 30 days to get it done. The medical is valid for a year.
Ok, thank you!!!

jordo

Apr 27, 2014
Regina, SK
The midwest US is a bit of a black hole as far as Panel Physicians go. But here is a link to the list. You need to check state by state with most midwest states saying there is no doctor for that particular state then you just keep checking neighboring states. http://www.cic.gc.ca/pp-md/pp-list.aspx

I believe the closest to WY would be Denver or Minneapolis. I remember looking this up for Nebraska because my wife's son spends summers with his father there and we were trying to figure out how to do this if we got the medical request while her son was visiting in Nebraska.

While it's very much recommended to do the medical when it's requested, we actually were able to do ours upfront in Seattle but only because the Physician was willing to. The Medical was done and the results were saved in their office until the request came through then it was transferred to CIC.