+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Forgot to mention sibling in e-APR

arv3655

Dec 29, 2020
Hi,

Recently I submitted my PR application and in the family information I mentioned my parents details, but I did not add my sister's details. The fact is I am not in talking terms with my sister and it has been a strained relationship, moreover I was not aware of her whereabouts as she changed her last name as well after her marriage, don't remember her birth date and not sure about the exact address. Owing to this I did not give her details but now I am wondering if this will have an impact on my PR application. And, is there a way to rectify this?

Last edited:

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hi,

Recently I submitted my PR application and in the family information I mentioned my parents details, but I did not add my sister's details. The fact is I am not in talking terms with my sister and it has been a strained relationship, moreover I was not aware of her whereabouts as she changed her last name as well after her marriage, don't remember her birth date and not sure about the exact address. Owing to this I did not give her details but now I am wondering if this will have an impact on my PR application. And, is there a way to rectify this?
And your parents and or your other siblings know nothing?

arv3655

Dec 29, 2020
I don't have any other siblings and even my parents would have to make an effort to contact and get the details so at that time I did not decide to include her. But the question is will this have an impact and is there a way I can submit a letter of explanation after PR application submission, as I have also received my AOR.

gayfish

Star Member
Jun 17, 2019
It will likely have a negative impact on your application.

My dad was also in similar situation where he had rough relationship with his half siblings. He never considered them family, so he naturally missed declaring them on his visitor visa application. We later found out from gcms notes that this was (one of) the reasons for his visa application to be rejected and had to hire a lawyer to rectify these unfortunate mistakes.

I think you should send an updated form to cic via webform, explaining the situation (not on good terms, not in contact for years so the person did not come in mind as a family member when filled out application, apologize for the mistake and here’s an updated form with correct info). You don’t need to go above and beyond to dig for your sister’s info. Simply put “Unknown”, whether it’s DoB, date of decease, address etc whenever you dont have the info. This is what we did for my dad’s situation and it seems to work fine.

arv3655

Dec 29, 2020
Thanks for sharing your experience. I will contact my lawyer and ask to send the updated information to CIC. Although it is not going to change my score or anything yet I want to rectify this.

So in my case since I have submitted my PR application now(although only 2 weeks ago), will that be rejected as well? Is there any way to make adjustment in the existing application. Or I will have to again go back to the pool and wait for an ITA?

Last edited:

gayfish

Star Member
Jun 17, 2019
Thanks for sharing your experience. I will contact my lawyer and ask to send the updated information to CIC. Although it is not going to change my score or anything yet I want to rectify this.

So in my case since I have submitted my PR application now(although only 2 weeks ago), will that be rejected as well? Is there any way to make adjustment in the existing application. Or I will have to again go back to the pool and wait for an ITA?
My understanding is you could send updated form with explanation via webform for the existing application. Quite a few people on this forum have done the same to rectify mistakes in submitted app that might result in material misrepresentation down the road. Cic officers also seem to be forgiving if correction is proactively made before they spot the mistakes themselves.
Since you’re already working with a lawyer, s/he would be able to give you the best advice. Try to get to it asap though. We didnt think omission of my dad’s half siblings (none of them are in Canada) would bear any consequences on his application, but cic officer apparently disagreed :)

Negyiri

Mar 10, 2018
Sudan

So what happened to your application?