+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Forgot to mention previous visa refusal :( Please help

mg3835

Jul 29, 2020
@legalfalcon

Hello,

I have a similar situation to some of the folks here. In 2014, I applied for a short term study visa in the UK and it was refused due to insufficient funds. In fact, the officer had overlooked my bank documents so I appealed the decision ( did not apply for a new visa, appealed the old decision) and the visa was approved.

Then I applied for a work permit for Canada and in the visa refusal section I mentioned 'NO' and the work permit was approved. I have recently applied for EE and in the application I mentioned 'NO' again. Do you think this is fine or should I do something?

mg3835

Jul 29, 2020
Hi, I have a query regarding VISA refusal! During my study in the UK, my application for extension of study permit has been refused by UK home office due to insufficient fund (don't have that paper now) in 2009 but when I took this matter to UK court, the court granted the visa and overruled the decision of UK home office.

Now I am working in Canada with the work permit and extended 3 times without mentioning that matter in my application.

Also, during the extension of my work permit in Canada, once it was refused due to wrong LIMA number provided by my employer. But I have never mentioned that in my work permit extension application afterwards!

Do you think I should mention those both issues or matters in my PR application?
Hello, I am in a similar position - what did you end up doing?

mg3835

Jul 29, 2020
I guess the right thing would be to raise a CSE, but then If I disclose, I am afraid it will be inconsistent with my previous submission for student visas and work permits, where I never mentioned the refusal. Not really sure what to do :(.
My Situation is pretty much the same as yours, what did you end up doing? Any help would be appreciated! My AOR is Aug 12,2020.

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
@legalfalcon

Hello,

I have a similar situation to some of the folks here. In 2014, I applied for a short term study visa in the UK and it was refused due to insufficient funds. In fact, the officer had overlooked my bank documents so I appealed the decision ( did not apply for a new visa, appealed the old decision) and the visa was approved.

Then I applied for a work permit for Canada and in the visa refusal section I mentioned 'NO' and the work permit was approved. I have recently applied for EE and in the application I mentioned 'NO' again. Do you think this is fine or should I do something?
This is fine and if upon approval your visa was approved, you correctly answered No.

Reactions: mg3835

Pri47

Apr 22, 2020
Montréal
Hello,
2 weeks ago, I applied for my study permit renewal and my application got approved within a week. 2 days ago, I applied for my new TRV and right after, started working on my CO-OP work permit when I noticed I completely forgot to mention my US tourist visa refusal in section 2b of both the study permit and TRV forms. However, my first study permit, that I filed outside of Canada clearly had that details on it and I never tried to hide it.
So, without delaying one bit, I used the IRCC webform and created an enquiry under the "Replacement documents/Amendment to Documents" section along with a very detailed explanation in the enquiry section and uploaded an updated IMM 5257 form. I also sent an email to CPS-Ottawa with the same concern.
However, what's really stressing me out is, my study permit actually got approved with that accidental error on it and I don't know how to rectify that one. I informed IRCC of that error using the same webform but didn't upload the relevant form because that application has already been approved and processed.
I honestly don't know how bad I screwed up because there is no reason for me to withhold information and I didn't withhold it on my initial application and rectified in my co-op work permit application. I tried to amend it as soon as possible and even if the TRV turns out fine, what else can I do about the study permit?
I am really stressed and nervous. It's like 3 midterms amidst a pandemic wasn't enough, so I had to do something that could potentially ruin everything for me. I would really appreciate any advice. Thank You.

rk78

Nov 20, 2020
Hey all, my france student visa was rejected in 2018. I am applying for study permit in canada. Do canada & france share visa denial information and should I mention visa denial in form or play safe? Plz i request answer for both questions.

Pri47

Apr 22, 2020
Montréal
Hey all, my france student visa was rejected in 2018. I am applying for study permit in canada. Do canada & france share visa denial information and should I mention visa denial in form or play safe? Plz i request answer for both questions.
Mentioning a visa refusal has no negative consequences. Just make sure u let them know why it was refused (if u know), if not let them know that you don't know why.

But don't hide or withold any information. If you do so and they find out somehow, you will be flagged for misrepresentation and be banned for 5 years.

lindahe0707

Jan 11, 2021
Hi all, I am in the same boat :(. Today I received an email requesting me to submit a background declaration form. When I am filling this form and reading the question about visa refusal history, I just realized I probably forgot to mention my visa refusal records when submitting the PR application in February 2020. Since now I can upload the form through my IRCC account (they give me a place to upload the background declaration form), should I submit the LOE together with the form through my account or raise a CSE for this LOE specifically? Thank you!

Pri47

Apr 22, 2020
Montréal
Hi all, I am in the same boat :(. Today I received an email requesting me to submit a background declaration form. When I am filling this form and reading the question about visa refusal history, I just realized I probably forgot to mention my visa refusal records when submitting the PR application in February 2020. Since now I can upload the form through my IRCC account (they give me a place to upload the background declaration form), should I submit the LOE together with the form through my account or raise a CSE for this LOE specifically? Thank you!
If there's an option for attaching additional documents, definitely make sure you upload a LOE. In fact if possible, attach the original form with updated information. It's always better for you to report the issue than them finding out because at that point it's too late.

Raising a CSE alongside isn't a bad idea either. What you need to do is provide the correct documents and clarify that you were actively trying to avoid misrepresentation and not mentioning the refusal was a mistake and not an intent to misrepresent.

Mike@2019

Oct 13, 2019
I would suggest you upload a LOE together with the form as one pdf document.

If I may ask, what country's visa refusal was it?

lindahe0707

Jan 11, 2021
If there's an option for attaching additional documents, definitely make sure you upload a LOE. In fact if possible, attach the original form with updated information. It's always better for you to report the issue than them finding out because at that point it's too late.

Raising a CSE alongside isn't a bad idea either. What you need to do is provide the correct documents and clarify that you were actively trying to avoid misrepresentation and not mentioning the refusal was a mistake and not an intent to misrepresent.
Thanks for your suggestion!

lindahe0707

Jan 11, 2021
I would suggest you upload a LOE together with the form as one pdf document.

If I may ask, what country's visa refusal was it?
I have a New Zealand Work Holiday visa refusal in August 2016 due to my expired IELTS result. I reported it when I applied Canada study permit in 2017, so without doubt I should report it this time.
And thank you for suggesting that!

Reactions: Mike@2019

Sunny9893

Star Member
Sep 11, 2018
Did you get any update after filling and submitting Background declaration form ?

Tunggirl8

Feb 20, 2021
I guess the right thing would be to raise a CSE, but then If I disclose, I am afraid it will be inconsistent with my previous submission for student visas and work permits, where I never mentioned the refusal. Not really sure what to do :(.
Hey did u raise a CSE about visa refusal???