+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Forgot to mention day-trips to the US on the CIT0407 (residency calculator)

superhanuman

Jun 19, 2015
samreentariq said:
Old form did not need day trips to be declared so you are good. be confident make sure you take all your original documents like passport, PR card, COPR and read the book to ace the test. Best of luck ;D.
Thanks man.. so i would be considered an "old applicant" vs the "new applicant".. what's the difference btw?

So the rules for new applicants are more stringent i take it?

SH

superhanuman

Jun 19, 2015
anil04_10 said:
Hanuman jee

You don't have to worry at all. Give your exam/interview with complete peace of mind.

With old rules still in place (for old applicants :)), IMHO you need not mention about the day trips. However, you can be honest to the interviewing officer -
(i) As it was zero days absence, you didn't mention.
(ii) It skipped out of your mind.
(iii) Residency Calculator says - 'If the applicant leaves Canada and comes back the same day, it is not considered an absence.', so didn't mention!!.

All the best. Stay cool.

Cheers, Anil
Thanks Anil! Will do!

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
superhanuman said:
Thanks man.. so i would be considered an "old applicant" vs the "new applicant".. what's the difference btw?

So the rules for new applicants are more stringent i take it?

SH
No. The new rules are not more stringent. Just applicants have to wait longer to qualify. Plus since new applicants have to give consent to CIC to access your tax records.

This will improve your process since CIC can now see your tax records as one of the tools to establish residency.

RQ will still be given out likely to those who provided weak proofs. For example, self employed applicants/ business owners. They can still file taxes and still not provide enough proofs of physical presence requirement.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
sjakub said:
You didn't have to include any same-day trips in the original application.
You had to include them if you got an RQ.
(according to the pre-jun-11 rules, not sure about the new rules).
Unfortunately this is not quite true. There is a well known member on this forum (Scylla) who's husband got an RQ because he forgot to put down a day trip to the USA in the calculator. Even though it didn't affect the 1095 day count, it caused some confusion among CIC because CBSA couldn't see the entry date to the USA only entry date back to Canada, hence the RQ so they can take the time to confirm:
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/physical-presence-t270285.0.html;msg4029866#msg4029866

sjakub

Sep 28, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
keesio said:
Unfortunately this is not quite true. There is a well known member on this forum (Scylla) who's husband got an RQ because he forgot to put down a day trip to the USA in the calculator. Even though it didn't affect the 1095 day count, it caused some confusion among CIC because CBSA couldn't see the entry date to the USA only entry date back to Canada, hence the RQ so they can take the time to confirm:
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/physical-presence-t270285.0.html;msg4029866#msg4029866
And how exactly does she know that the RQ was because of that?

sam_1985

Star Member
Oct 29, 2014
keesio said:
I remember very well trying to enter a day trip and the system not letting me with the message ''Day Trips do not need to be declared''; however, it's best to declare them if you are missing one of the stamps (Entry to U.S.A or entry into Canada). On the other hand, if you do have an entry stamp into the US for the same date as an entry into Canada then I'm sorry, unless the officer is dumb, how can you dispute it was a day trip. Therefore I would say that if you have both stamps, you have a strong argument but if you are missing one of the stamps, then yes, it could be subject to an RQ (especially if not declared - it raises suspicion and looks as if you are trying to hide something).

I recall seeing at the beginning of the Residency Calculator, that day trips do not need to be declared.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
sam_1985 said:
I remember very well trying to enter a day trip and the system not letting me with the message ''Day Trips do not need to be declared''; however, it's best to declare them if you are missing one of the stamps (Entry to U.S.A or entry into Canada). On the other hand, if you do have an entry stamp into the US for the same date as an entry into Canada then I'm sorry, unless the officer is dumb, how can you dispute it was a day trip. Therefore I would say that if you have both stamps, you have a strong argument but if you are missing one of the stamps, then yes, it could be subject to an RQ (especially if not declared - it raises suspicion and looks as if you are trying to hide something).

I recall seeing at the beginning of the Residency Calculator, that day trips do not need to be declared.
Even though day trips don't not need to be declared, I was able to input day trips in the online presence calculator under the 3/4 rule. They were recorded as zero days.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
sjakub said:
And how exactly does she know that the RQ was because of that?
I believe in another post she mentioned they would need to investigate further. "Investigate further" sounds like an RQ trigger to me.

superhanuman

Jun 19, 2015
screech339 said:
Even though day trips don't not need to be declared, I was able to input day trips in the online presence calculator under the 3/4 rule. They were recorded as zero days.
Well i have managed to get my entry history to the US and my entry history into Canada ... all the day trip match the dates on both forms. In worst case I could show them that.

I'll keep you guys updated on how things go this wednesday!

Cheers

SH

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
superhanuman said:
Well i have managed to get my entry history to the US and my entry history into Canada ... all the day trip match the dates on both forms. In worst case I could show them that.
If you have official records for both then I'd say you are in good shape!

51smoker

Jul 23, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-12-2010
Doc's Request.
13-07-2011
AOR Received.
09-05-2011
Med's Request
13-07-2011
Med's Done....
21-07-2011
do you have lots of day-trips? i think I forgot to mention one too

annoying001

Jun 21, 2015
don't need to mention but the officer may ask during the interview because he/she got your cbsa record. what you need to do is answer his/her question honestly. I went to the US every other week so I have lots of enrty/exit records. The officer just match the cbsa file with my passport stamps and no further question asked.

sjakub

Sep 28, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
keesio said:
I believe in another post she mentioned they would need to investigate further. "Investigate further" sounds like an RQ trigger to me.
As far as I know it is not clear why CIC issues RQs.
Which means it could have nothing to do with those single day trips.

superhanuman

Jun 19, 2015
So i got my test and the itnerview today. Aced the test in 1 min ... must be a new local record!

So during the interview the agent asked me how many times I was in the US. I told him many many times ... but mainly for 1 day trip. The ones more than 1 day are all on the form.

So i said i had all the travel history from the US (can get it from here (https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/request.html) and he matched them against the stamps on my passport and the travel history form from CBSA (https://atip-aiprp.apps.gc.ca/atip/requesterInformation) It takes 30 days or more to get the info, whereas the US one can be printed online!

So anyway, everything went smoothly ... he said he has no concern and i should be getting the letter for the oath in 2-3 months.

Thanks to all who answered!

Cheers

SH

Pink123

Star Member
Jun 10, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 5,2015
AOR Received.
July 11,2015
File Transfer...
August 6,2015
superhanuman said:
Hello all, first timer here though i've been following very closely to get my citizenship application done ...

I will have my citizenship exam and interview in one week. :)

About 2 months ago, I have requested from the CBSA the log of my entry into Canada. Yesterday i received it and it's showing entry into Canada since 2000. Even those day trips that i went to pick up stuff bought from amazon and shipped to a local ups store accross the border.

To my horror :eek: i just realized that I did not write down any of these in the CIT0407 residence calculator as they didn't count against the days present.

How do you think the person checking the documents will take upon this omission?
Would that count under "wrong and fraudulous information provided" and will i have to submit my application again?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

SH
Hi!

I think there's nothing to worry about since you are not affected by the new rules. :)