+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Forgot to export car

frazman007

Jan 25, 2018
Hi,
I am in a pickle and was wondering if anyone has faced a similar situation.
So, I moved to Canada from US in June, 2018 and drove my car across the US border.
I had no clue about the export part and Canadian side imported my car and I was able to register my car in Canada.

But I just came to know about the export part and reading about it makes me bit scared (~10k fines and all).
Question is.. while I know Canada side doesn't care but I would like to be on the right side of law and would get this rectified but is the fines really so high. It was a genuine mistake. Are CBP guys bit lax?
Any ideas.

maddymaddy

Feb 23, 2017
No..
But then I do travel to US fairly often (since I am still on H1B there)
I am on PR in Canada
Good that it all worked out for you.
1 qn on a different topic. how can you be on H1B in US and still reside in Canada as PR?
and how did you enter back in US? I am in a similar boat, so this will be helpful.

frazman007

Jan 25, 2018
Good that it all worked out for you.
1 qn on a different topic. how can you be on H1B in US and still reside in Canada as PR?
and how did you enter back in US? I am in a similar boat, so this will be helpful.
Working in US.. Living in Canada.

nanduvijayan

Jan 29, 2020
I'm into the same situation but with WP in canada and planning to relocate back to US. So i'm wondering when you go back to US border and exported it, didn't you had any trouble as you would hav had only the Canadian title then ? Also i'm interested to know on details you have followed to export it from there.

desmat

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2018
Self answering for future googlers. I just went to US last week dropped the car for 72 hours, came back.. went back again and got it exported... without any issues. CBP folks were really friendly and appreciated that I was trying to rectify my mistake.
Did you go back to usa to exportafter you registered in canada or before that??
I want to know if import in canada is complete and canadian number plate is taken then Will usa still export it later with a Canadian number plate?