+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Forgot my PR Card

MWisedome

Dec 29, 2019
Hello everyone,

I am a citizen of Germany and a Permanent Resident of Canada. My PR Card is valid until March 2020.

Im currently on vacation in Mexico and am supposed to fly back to Canada on January 2nd. The problem is that I forgot my PR card at home, in my apartment in Vancouver.

I do have my passport with me, of course (there is also a stamp with a number in it from the day I officially became a PR), I have my Canadian health card/driver's licence and I have a photocopy of the PR card on my phone. I "just" forgot the physical card.

My question is : do I need to take action and contact the Canadian government? Will I be able to leave Mexico or could the airline give me any trouble?

I expect less problems at the Canadian border, especially because I am visa exempt and can have my mother-in-law wait with the pr card in her hands at the airport if need be...

Thank you so much in advance for your help!

babsizkil

Dec 18, 2016
Hello everyone,

I am a citizen of Germany and a Permanent Resident of Canada. My PR Card is valid until March 2020.

Im currently on vacation in Mexico and am supposed to fly back to Canada on January 2nd. The problem is that I forgot my PR card at home, in my apartment in Vancouver.

I do have my passport with me, of course (there is also a stamp with a number in it from the day I officially became a PR), I have my Canadian health card/driver's licence and I have a photocopy of the PR card on my phone. I "just" forgot the physical card.

My question is : do I need to take action and contact the Canadian government? Will I be able to leave Mexico or could the airline give me any trouble?

I expect less problems at the Canadian border, especially because I am visa exempt and can have my mother-in-law wait with the pr card in her hands at the airport if need be...

When is your return flight to Canada? You will definitely need an eTA or PR card to board an international flight to Canada with your passport. I don't think the copy of the PR card will be accepted. Why not confirm from a travel agency or visit the airport for advice. Otherwise, you'll need a PRTD from Canada consulate in Jamaica. If you've up to 5 days to spend there, your relatives in Canada can courier it (DHL). You'll be able to pick it up in less than three days, I believe.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
OP can’t get an eTA, they are a permanent resident. Change your flight to a US destination close to the border and cross by land. Otherwise courier your card to Mexico (if possible) or apply for a PRTD.

Reactions: scylla

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello everyone,

You should expect that the airline will refuse boarding for your flight home. You need to either have a valid PR card with you or a valid PRTD to board the flight home.

Have someone courier your PR card to you today. Hopefully someone has keys and can get into your apartment - or you can arrange for the super / apartment management to let them in.

MWisedome

Dec 29, 2019
Ok, guys, thank you! I'll have my in-laws courier the card to my hotel with the fastest international delivery option. Should get here in time despite new year's eve (our flight leaves late).

Thank you for your help.

I know it's stupid to forget the card, and I hate myself a little bit for it, but it baffles me that I have to go through so much trouble as a visa exempt, valid PR.

Oh well,I learned my lesson.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I know it's stupid to forget the card, and I hate myself a little bit for it, but it baffles me that I have to go through so much trouble as a visa exempt, valid PR.
While Germany is a visa exempt country, German passport holders require valid eTAs to travel to Canada. You do not qualify for an eTA as a PR. This is the reason why you need to have the PR card with you to board the plane home.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Ok, guys, thank you! I'll have my in-laws courier the card to my hotel with the fastest international delivery option. Should get here in time despite new year's eve (our flight leaves late).

Thank you for your help.

Get a passport cover with card slots, so that both are always kept together. I got my partner one for just this reason.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
it baffles me that I have to go through so much trouble as a visa exempt, valid PR.

Yeah, Canada doesn’t have a problem with it (like if you go through a land border); it’s really more because you’re taking a commercial flight and they don’t want to lose money if you have to be turned away.

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Get a passport cover with card slots, so that both are always kept together. I got my partner one for just this reason.
That's where my Nexus card lives.

Reactions: canuck_in_uk