+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Foreign driving license surrender question

worldFrenchy

Apr 7, 2023
Hi everyone.

In Alberta, there is the issue of surrendering the foreign driving license. Some driving school told us we may keep the driving license but it'll then take a full year for the driving licensing authorities to let you go through the exams ect.

How real is that, I admit I'd rather keep my license, I know I'll need it.

Anyone with a similar experience?

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
It's illegal to hold 2 drivers licenses. The registries office will require you to surrender your home country o e before giving you an Alberta license.

Reactions: foodie69

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
Hi everyone.

In Alberta, there is the issue of surrendering the foreign driving license. Some driving school told us we may keep the driving license but it'll then take a full year for the driving licensing authorities to let you go through the exams ect.

How real is that, I admit I'd rather keep my license, I know I'll need it.

Anyone with a similar experience?
Why do you want to keep it? There's no point

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
Why do you want to keep it? There's no point
To be able to drive back in home country whenever they visit I guess(they can get IDP, but it is a hassle). Plus, in many countries outside of Canada, a local driving license makes it easier to get stuff done (e.g. government related).

In some countries, the legal requirements for someone to drive with an IDP is:
1. Proof of address (yeah, lol!)
2. Birth certificate (thanks for making me carry this!)
3. Passport (that's alright)
4. IDP

#1 and #2 are totally unnecessary if you had your home country's license.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Well, they are going to make you surrender it if you want an Alberta DL. They send them to their security department to confirm its validity before they issue the Alberta license. Only way around it is to start from scratch with a learners permit, GDL, etc.

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
Well, they are going to make you surrender it if you want an Alberta DL. They send them to their security department to confirm its validity before they issue the Alberta license. Only way around it is to start from scratch with a learners permit, GDL, etc.
That I understand, and I'm pretty sure most do. The question you asked was "Why do you want to keep it? There's no point" and I just replied to that. As many people here come from diverse backgrounds, it is important to "learn" the "why"!

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
That I understand, and I'm pretty sure most do. The question you asked was "Why do you want to keep it? There's no point" and I just replied to that. As many people here come from diverse backgrounds, it is important to "learn" the "why"!
It's illegal to keep. Do you think you are special? Follow the rules, as we do

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
It's illegal to keep. Do you think you are special? Follow the rules, as we do
What's wrong with you? Can't you read? I'm not debating anything related to whether keeping license is good bad. I said why people "express" wanting to keep the license. No mention of keeping the license is good.

Do you think you are special? Follow the rules, as we do
I follow more rules than your entire family could collectively do. Given your level of intelligence, there's no debate here.

Last edited:

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
What's wrong with you? Can't you read? I'm not debating anything related to whether keeping license is good bad. I said why people "express" wanting to keep the license. No mention of keeping the license is good.

Pretty sure, I follow more rules than your entire family could collectively do. Given your level of intelligence, there's no debate here.
Hahaha..you funny

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Just for clarity, I didnt ask that.

worldFrenchy

Apr 7, 2023
Yes, to clarify, I'd need it for other things, and yeah it's true that it's a bit shocking that it's illegal to hold two licenses, it's very bizarre actually seen from the outside. Some agent spoke about the process but yeah it looks like I misunderstood him actually. Thank you for the details, and don't fight guys. None meant anything bad.

Reactions: iSaidGoodDay

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
Yes, to clarify, I'd need it for other things, and yeah it's true that it's a bit shocking that it's illegal to hold two licenses, it's very bizarre actually seen from the outside. Some agent spoke about the process but yeah it looks like I misunderstood him actually. Thank you for the details, and don't fight guys. None meant anything bad.
The part where the user said "follow like we do" was very condescending. I'm a "we" now too.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
It's illegal because using a second license, a driver could use the other (foreign) license to present at traffic stops or cases of accidents, etc., and avoid being caught under provincial licensing/insurance regimes.

You can argue with that, but at least historically that is the point.