+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

For those who want to change institute before landing in Canada

sumera.k

Sep 29, 2013
Best if you email and inform cic of ur proposed change; and if ur serious about changing colleges, irrespective of post secondary or post grad level of study, tell the IO then and there. I recently went through this few days ago and the IO called my new institute in front of me to confirm that I am registered and enrolled. Although she at first automatically printed my SP with the old college"s name (as I had got visa on that basis and hadnt informed cic about the change), my sP condition read "attend institute/college/UNi specified by immigration officer.) luckily I noticed this before exiting the area and ran right back to her, she then grilled me for not having informed cic before leaving India so they could have updated my file and college name and then hesitantly issued me new SP with new institutes name.

Although u can change legally by surpassing this condition even if sp is on old colleges basis, it's best to stay on the safe side and inform cic before hand and take SP of new college just what if they put a restriction.

The IO herself also told me they're cracking down severely on student permits cus of the volumes of students who leave college and start working illegally. So stay safe and be honest everyone!

abhi141989

May 9, 2012
Visa Office......
Online (SOWP)
App. Filed.......
04-02-2017
File Transfer...
04-02-2017
Med's Request
03-05-2017
Med's Done....
06-05-2017 (Non eMedical) ; Passed on 09-05-2017
Passport Req..
16-05-2017
VISA ISSUED...
23-05-2017
LANDED..........
July 2017
sumera.k said:
Best if you email and inform cic of ur proposed change; and if ur serious about changing colleges, irrespective of post secondary or post grad level of study, tell the IO then and there. I recently went through this few days ago and the IO called my new institute in front of me to confirm that I am registered and enrolled. Although she at first automatically printed my SP with the old college"s name (as I had got visa on that basis and hadnt informed cic about the change), my sP condition read "attend institute/college/UNi specified by immigration officer.) luckily I noticed this before exiting the area and ran right back to her, she then grilled me for not having informed cic before leaving India so they could have updated my file and college name and then hesitantly issued me new SP with new institutes name.

Although u can change legally by surpassing this condition even if sp is on old colleges basis, it's best to stay on the safe side and inform cic before hand and take SP of new college just what if they put a restriction.

The IO herself also told me they're cracking down severely on student permits cus of the volumes of students who leave college and start working illegally. So stay safe and be honest everyone!
Institute name was specifically mentioned on your SP?

usman_14pk

Champion Member
Jan 29, 2013
sumera.k said:

So finally you have gone through all this process :p
Yes, it is good to inform VO or CIC about the change of institute so that they can update your information and you can get the updated Study Permit.
Anyhow, All the best with your studies!

YUPPPP

Star Member
Oct 28, 2013
sumera.k said:

Hi

You mean we should inform CIC about changing institutes after getting visa and before leaving country?

sharjeel91

Champion Member
Oct 2, 2013
App. Filed.......
09/09/2013
sumera.k said:
Exactly that
the same thing I told u that IO clearly specifies a name on my SP but someone gave me a link which says u can change institution at any time,, BTW thanks for the info.......

Doppel91

Star Member
Nov 6, 2013
Karachi
Category........
Visa Office......
Karachi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
File Transfer...
23-10-2014
Med's Done....
Upfront
Passport Req..
Upfront
VISA ISSUED...
26-11-2014
LANDED..........
15-06-2015 inshAllah
What if you reach canada and start your program at one uni and then you get offer from other uni in a different state in which you u want to pursue. What could be done if that's the case?

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Beautiful British Columbia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nothing you should do. Just change. The only thing is that your new study should be finished during your "first and only" study permit. Or you will need to apply for extension of your study permit.

dsan_01

Star Member
Sep 17, 2013
How to inform CIC about the University change ? Is there a process for it or have to send an email to some address ? Which address ?

usman_14pk

Champion Member
Jan 29, 2013
sumera.k said:

should I email CIC or how else I can inform CIC that I am going to change my institute so that I can get the updated study permit at POE?

Raven

May 8, 2014
Please help....i was awarded a one year post graduate diploma on February 28,2014 for a program that started in May 2014.

However due to personnel reason i had to withdrawn from this program.

ANYone can you please tell me if i can switch to a two year diploma program right at the SAME college using the same permit.

J5M

Champion Member
May 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

Raven said:
Please help....i was awarded a one year post graduate diploma on February 28,2014 for a program that started in May 2014.

However due to personnel reason i had to withdrawn from this program.

ANYone can you please tell me if i can switch to a two year diploma program right at the SAME college using the same permit.

Yes you can. Visa issued before June 2014, no need to notify CIC.

Raven

May 8, 2014
Thank you J5M..

However please also note my TRV will expire July 31 2015 and the two years program i want to switch to is schedule to complete in December 2016.

Given that my TRV will expire July 31,2015 will i encounter any problem at the POE?

lakesh6

Mar 22, 2014
Pls help I got visa for conestoga college in kitchner but part time jobs are not available there. So I want to change it as I m planing to land there on 18 th of august. And how can I gat back my paid fees from the college and my previous visa is only valid for one year as I want to take a two year course what to do pls suggest.