No interview call
Passport Req..
22-02-2011
VISA ISSUED...
03-04-2011
LANDED..........
03-01-2012
Hi everyone,
I am new migrant landed in January first week and I would like to know that how long I can stay outside Canada so that It wont affect my PR status.
I am going to study in Australia on student visa for 8 months.
Will it affect my PR status?
what is the maximum period for staying outside Canada.
please clear my doubt or send me any link which clear my doubt.
Thanks.

Tanus

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

tanus said:
Hi everyone,
I am new migrant landed in January first week and I would like to know that how long I can stay outside Canada so that It wont affect my PR status.
Thanks.

Tanus
1. No.
2. You have to reside in Canada for 2 years in every 5 year period.

sam pk

Dec 30, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
01-07-2012
tanus said:
Hi everyone,
Thanks.

Tanus
Dear have you do already got your PR card

Sobia21

Jan 24, 2012
According to my knowledge it is very simple after taking PR card you need to spent 1001 days out of 1825 and no restriction so you can calculate like this.Thanks

Sobia21

Jan 24, 2012
Dear Sam bhai If you guys are not interested in combined Party I don't mind I am giving you a upper hand that I thought you are very active on this forum and you have all the contacts nothing special you and my husband can do together he is also very active and experienced in making team.Secondly how can my husband contacting you he is hardly sometimes on this forum and doesn't know anything when we make a list than I will ask him to join and we can talk, because he is very busy person all the time meetings.It is only my own idea,My idea on this forum as everyone was willing to Celebrate after getting magic stampt as everyone's dreams come true because everyone who are getting Canadian Immigration definitely professionals and respectable families so when we meet all at one place we will make a formal list members which will work positively on future too when we together we will be a source to each others because we are starting a new life at new place.

Idea is:My Mamoon living at Qatar made Pakistan Professional Forum Qatar and he is Chairman Pak-Qatar forum at Qatar now enjoying so many combines seminar parties,T20 Cricket meeting with Ambassador even President of Pakistan SyedYousuf Gilani was at Qatar all these members were invited through this Platform met President give suggestions even Ameer of Qatar means Shah of Qatar was also invited
so we are Professional representative from Pakistan if we make a patform first from Karachi than all Pakistan it will definitely will work very good result in future.Please comments everyone who had any good idea which make our platform ore strong.Inshalah we will make this.This is just a start 2012! Comments!!

tanus

Mar 15, 2011
BC
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-12-2010
Med's Request
26-02-2011
Med's Done....
02-02-2011
Interview........
No interview call
Passport Req..
22-02-2011
VISA ISSUED...
03-04-2011
LANDED..........
03-01-2012
Thanks PMM and others for your reply........you mean I have to stay 2 years (730 days) in Canada to keep alive my PR status and I can live 3 years outside anywhere within 5 years.
Is that you mean?
and I received my PR card but still My wife will send it to me soon.
Thanks for your reply

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
tanus said:
Thanks PMM and others for your reply........you mean I have to stay 2 years (730 days) in Canada to keep alive my PR status and I can live 3 years outside anywhere within 5 years.
Is that you mean?
and I received my PR card but still My wife will send it to me soon.
Thanks for your reply
Yes, you must stay 730 days in your first 5 years as a PR and any rolling 5 year period after that.

us2yow

Dec 15, 2010
Leon said:
Yes, you must stay 730 days in your first 5 years as a PR and any rolling 5 year period after that.
Leon, regarding your statement. Basically, on the day someone signed their PR renewal application, they should have had atleast 730 days looking back 5 years. Correct ?

So, if they couldnt accumulate 730 days WITHIN the first five years they move here sometime before the original PR card expires, reside here and then when the card has expired (which is bound to happen) and they are still short on 730 days (because they moved here later) they just continue to reside here and then apply for PR renewal when they have atleast 730 days ?

The new PR card (renewed, that is) will be issued based on atleast 730 days in Canada accumulated by applicant and they are good to go thereafter.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
us2yow said:
So, if they couldnt accumulate 730 days WITHIN the first five years they move here sometime before the original PR card expires, reside here and then when the card has expired (which is bound to happen) and they are still short on 730 days (because they moved here later) they just continue to reside here and then apply for PR renewal when they have atleast 730 days ?
Right. You shouldn't do this on purpose because there is a small risk that you could be reported on entry for not meeting the residency requirements. If that happens, you would have 30 days to appeal for your PR and either prove that you did meet the requirements or that you had humane & compassionate reasons why you could not. They are also taking up more exit checks now so they will know better in the future who stayed and who didn't.

However, if you find yourself in the situation that you were unable to meet the requirements, it is certainly worth a try to enter before your PR card expires and if you succeed without getting reported, stay in Canada, let it expire and only apply to renew after you have completed 730 days. According to immigration regulations, if you didn't get reported, they can only look at the 5 year period before you applied to renew. Not some other earlier period.

us2yow

Dec 15, 2010
Thanks !

Yes. I meant to say:

a) if you move to live here sometime when the card is still active but when it is still a safe /comfortable time** - say close to after 3 years of first becoming PR and being away;

AND

b) After moving here, if you had some exits for a variety of reasons so that you are likely to hit 730 days only after the card expires;

THEN

c) apply only after you have atleast 730 days (after card has exp) to get the new PR card.

**- ( not arriving to live here in the last 6 months or less before the PR card expires although in theory they should still let you in but could say where were you in the last 41/2 years? - never mind if someone had a few mini visits accumulated yes ?)

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Each entry when you don't meet the residency requirements is a little risky because you can always end up with an IO who asks you if you meet them and doesn't believe you do and then decides to report you. However, from what I have heard of peoples experiences arriving in Canada without meeting the requirements is doesn't seem to be very common to get reported. Most people may get the speech and then are let in without being reported but still you must know, just because your first entry after not meeting the requirements goes well doesn't mean that all of them will go well if you keep leaving and coming back because at some point, you could get an IO who will report you.

farid-

Apr 19, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
very true the officer will ask you few things pretty strictly but 90 percent of time they don't report. best advice don't argue listen the speech, get out of airport finish 730 days and after that go for renewal. telling you from my own experience at airport just don't be scared.