+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

For fall intake 2021, do I need to proceed for deferral or lodge visa application!!

Jo_Abraham

Jan 21, 2021
Hello, I received an offer of admission for a Master's degree from a University in Canada. Since I applied for the fall intake in September 2021 as a late applicant, I wonder if I can able to start the program by obtaining the study permit or AIP from the desired date itself. I intend to secure funding through an educational loan and my own personal savings. Though it's a time-consuming process, I'm worried about the processing time of my VISA application within this short period. As I go through the IRCC website, currently they are finalizing the application range between March 14 and 20,2021. Alternatively, I wish to request a deferral of admission to a future term (winter). But I'm not quite sure about the deferral possibility, as I'm studying for an M.Sc by securing a supervisor for my research. If my deferral request is granted, I will have ample time to process everything on time to proceed further with my desired studies. Any guidance or thoughts in this regard would be highly appreciated.

thaovy99

Jun 26, 2019
There is a high chance that you will not get your visa and study permit in time for September intake so deferral is definitely a safe move.

Jo_Abraham

Jan 21, 2021
There is a high chance that you will not get your visa and study permit in time for September intake so deferral is definitely a safe move.
Thank you for your valuable feedback. In the meantime do we have any chances of getting an Approval in Principle (AIP) letter or pre-approved letter by completing the step 1 process and register for online classes initially for the fall intake?

thaovy99

Jun 26, 2019
Thank you for your valuable feedback. In the meantime do we have any chances of getting an Approval in Principle (AIP) letter or pre-approved letter by completing the step 1 process and register for online classes initially for the fall intake?
You don't want to rush your application and then get a refusal, that's for sure. No one here can tell if you will get AIP or study permit in time. As you said that there is plenty of things for you to do before apply for study permit, then you have less chance to even receive AIP by september.
Better be safe than sorry.

Jo_Abraham

Jan 21, 2021
Thank you for your guidance, I really appreciate your effort in helping others. Let me check with the university regarding the deferral procedure. I'm also planning to apply for my spouse's work permit along with my application, as you mentioned it's better to be in the safe zone and plan accordingly.

Rafaelhag43

May 6, 2021
They don't use the AIP method anymore. You will wait for some weeks and then you will receive PPR or refusal straight away.

I think it's best if you defer to winter 2022 unless you wanna take the risk of studying online for fall 2021 while waiting for your SP application to be processed.

Jo_Abraham

Jan 21, 2021
They don't use the AIP method anymore. You will wait for some weeks and then you will receive PPR or refusal straight away.

I think it's best if you defer to winter 2022 unless you wanna take the risk of studying online for fall 2021 while waiting for your SP application to be processed.
Thank you for the information. Technically can I able to register for online classes initially for the fall intake while I wait for the application decision?

Rafaelhag43

May 6, 2021
Thank you for the information. Technically can I able to register for online classes initially for the fall intake while I wait for the application decision?
It depends on your university. Some allow it, some will only allow it if you have proof that your SP was approved -- try asking your school.

Shweta_Gupta

Jun 13, 2018
Why ? there is a high chance of refusal?

Jo_Abraham

Jan 21, 2021
As per the IRCC website, it is mentioned as follows;

If you submitted your complete study permit application (including your biometrics and immigration medical examination results) by May 15, 2021, you should get a decision by August 6, 2021, in time to attend the fall semester.

We’ll process complete applications submitted after May 15, 2021, as quickly as possible—but we can’t guarantee that you’ll get a final decision before the fall semester begins.

But rather than delay in the decision, I'm not quite sure about the refusal and I wonder why?