+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

For driving and getting DL in Canada what all documents required.

pavanbihola

May 4, 2018
Hi

I have a query about driving and getting license Canada. I heard from friends that I need to carry DL extract form to get the Canadian DL. However welcome document mentions about International license permit.

Please someone let me know out of DL extract and International license permit which document I need to carry for driving and getting licence in Canada.

Thank you.

LifeDreamer

Feb 14, 2018
Don't drive with your international driving permit. You cannot use your previous license to get a new one in Canada either, but at least it will remove the restrictions associated with novice drivers assuming it's 2 years old.

Although you technically should be able to use an IDP for a given time or period since you would be a new resident, most local police forces don't recognize it if you weren't a tourist traveling in a rental car and if that doesn't apply to you the IDP is worth next to nothing in their view. It's much easier to just obtain a Canadian license rather than fiddle with the possibility of disputing a traffic offense in court and losing money on lawyer fees.