+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

for a child born outside Canada and sponsored into Canada as PR, when can the child receive Child Benefit?

useruseru

Feb 12, 2022
since there is a 10 year sponsorship period, does the child entitle for health care/child benefit/gst benefit or other benefits?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
since there is a 10 year sponsorship period, does the child entitle for health care/child benefit/gst benefit or other benefits?
Once the child is a PR they will be entitled to all the benefits they qualify for. To qualify for CCB the child and parent must be living in Canada and be living together to qualify.

useruseru

Feb 12, 2022
then what is the meaning of the sponsorship? i mean, anyway, the child sponsored into canada can qualify for the child benefit immediately.

MJSPARV

Sep 17, 2020
then what is the meaning of the sponsorship? i mean, anyway, the child sponsored into canada can qualify for the child benefit immediately.
You mean what's the point of sponsoring the child for PR? Well, long term legal status in Canada, access to provincial health care in most if not all provinces, ability to become a citizen down the road, etc. Not really sure what the other options would be (extending visitor status repeatedly is not a good long term plan). Maybe I'm misunderstanding your question

Reactions: scylla

useruseru

Feb 12, 2022
may i confirm when the sponsored child can have OHIP in ontario when the child arrives here? still need to meet 153/183 days residency obligation for OHIP?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
may i confirm when the sponsored child can have OHIP in ontario when the child arrives here? still need to meet 153/183 days residency obligation for OHIP?
The child will qualify on arrival or after 3 months when the wait time returns. They must remain in Ontario for the first 153 out of 183 days and 183 days in the first year or they don’t qualify for coverage.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Just want to clarified that only once the sponsored child have recieved PR (COPR) and landed in Canada/Ontario, then the OHIP rule will kick in.
If the child has TRV/eTA and travels to Canada before he's approved for PR, he is not entitled to OHIP when he arrives.

Reactions: canuck78
Apr 10, 2020
Hi everyone. I landed here as pr, I am sponsoring my daughter who is 17 years old, can I claim retroactive ccb if she arrives here 18 years old or over?