+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Food items into Canada - what not to bring?

moonpie92

Dec 27, 2018
Hi all,

I am aware that I must declare all food items on landing. I did some research about what kind of foods are allowed but I'm still confused about whether I can (or if it's a good idea to) bring in the following food items...

-Dry Food Items - things like local biscuits and snacks (like fried lentils) that are commercially packaged (meat-free)
-Dried pulses such as chickpeas and black-eyed peas
-Soya chunks (commercially packaged)
-Jars of local chutneys, sauces, and other savory flavoring items like pickled veggies.

Thank you in advance if anyone has any advice or tips for me!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi all,

I am aware that I must declare all food items on landing. I did some research about what kind of foods are allowed but I'm still confused about whether I can (or if it's a good idea to) bring in the following food items...

-Dry Food Items - things like local biscuits and snacks (like fried lentils) that are commercially packaged (meat-free)
-Jars of local chutneys, sauces, and other savory flavoring items like pickled veggies.

I wouldn't bring anything. You can buy everything here and food will take up precious space in your luggage.

If you want to bring anything, make sure it's commercially packaged. Assume the locally packaged stuff won't be allowed in and will be confiscated by CBSA.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Hi all,

1. I agree 99% of this is available in Canada, especially in big cities like Toronto.
2. However, I can also tell you that my parents and in-laws visit me once a year with similar amounts of food, and they've never had an issue. I've tried telling them that I get all this here, but they insist that it's better back home, and who am I to argue. Heck, it's free food. The only thing I've told them (and they agreed) - no fresh fruits/veggies, and only commercially packaged/labelled goods. No suspicious powders in random ziploc bags.

Reactions: scylla

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
1. I agree 99% of this is available in Canada, especially in big cities like Toronto.
2. However, I can also tell you that my parents and in-laws visit me once a year with similar amounts of food, and they've never had an issue. I've tried telling them that I get all this here, but they insist that it's better back home, and who am I to argue. Heck, it's free food. The only thing I've told them (and they agreed) - no fresh fruits/veggies, and only commercially packaged/labelled goods. No suspicious powders in random ziploc bags.
Agreed with all of the above. Also - no meat.