+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Flying back to Canada with expired PRcard and two VISA exempted passports

yadi

Mar 17, 2013
Hi everyone,
I have situation here seeking for advice:
My PR card is going to expire in Sept 2013. my landing paper is affixed onto a Passport (A).
I am not able to meet the 730-rule......I am planning to go back to Canada for good in August 2013.
In order to avoid any questions raised by the Custom Officer, can i use my second Passport (B) which is VISA-exempted and not presenting my PR card?

any insights are welcome and appreciated

dubai321

Oct 1, 2010
Hi there,
I was in the same situation but I got in without any question. I am not sure that I got a lucky day or it happens for everyone who has readable passport. I put it in a machine and just got in. there was no officer there to ask any question.
I did ask other seniors in the forum if it just happened to me or everyone who has exempt passport but I am not sure yet.
Please clarify it other senior members.
thank you,

yadi

Mar 17, 2013
Hi dubai321,
I assume you were getting in Canada by Air.
I am just curious if you just placed the foreign passport (visa exempted) into the machine for scanning and how the machine can verify whether you are the person in the passport.
thanks

dubai321

Oct 1, 2010
hi there,
Yep, I got in by air.
landed in the morning and got my passport scanned about 3 minutes and I just got in the gate and took the bags and got out the airport.
thank you

yadi

Mar 17, 2013
The CBSA said the self-serve kiosks in the airport are only for valid Canadian Passport (or PR card)...
It would be interesting if you can use the foreign passport in the machine....
Hope other senior members have some insights and ideas
thanks anyway

dubai321

Oct 1, 2010
i think if your PR card expires in September 2013 and you are getting back in August you can have your PR card scan with your passport

yadi

Mar 17, 2013
noted with thanks.
The thing is what if I don't use the machine, I don't show my PR card and I just go to custom counter and present my visa exempted Passport (B) to officer, is that be possible....i mean, is there anything against the rules to do this.
Thanks for any feedback in advance

dubai321

Oct 1, 2010
I am not sure but in my opinion they might match your details on your exempt passport with your details on the passport with PR visa. they might ask you questions.
Can anyone got the same situation share experience?
thank you,

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
What you're planning on doing could lead to problems.

If you enter as if you're a visitor on another visa exempt passport, then you will have to fill out the customs declaration card to match. On this card, you will have to say that you are a visitor only, indicate the length of your trip and a departure date. You will be lying on the declaration card since you plan to remain in Canada permanently. Lying on this card is an offence.

If you get away with lying - then fine.

But if the immigration officer picks up on the fact that you are a PR and then realizes that you have lied on your declaration card, then I think this significantly increases your chances of that officer reporting you for failing to meet your PR residency obligation (because it will be very obvious that you are trying to hide something).

Your choice.

yadi

Mar 17, 2013
Thanks scylla for your valuable feedback.
I am not keen on lying, I will sweet....I think I will stick with the truth.
Thanks again.

delray

Jan 21, 2013
dubai321 said:
Hi there,
I was in the same situation but I got in without any question. I am not sure that I got a lucky day or it happens for everyone who has readable passport. I put it in a machine and just got in. there was no officer there to ask any question.
I did ask other seniors in the forum if it just happened to me or everyone who has exempt passport but I am not sure yet.
Please clarify it other senior members.
thank you,
Dubai, Did you have a nexus card or have to make special application to go through eline/ I looked it up on line and it is a system they are testing for six months just started in March

dubai321

Oct 1, 2010
I don't know what is nexus card, i got in by my passport and pr card. I know they had the system at least one year ago.
I agreed with scylla that we need to be honest to declare everything because they know everything. it is just the fact that they want to report or not