+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Flying back from USA without a PR Card. Is it possible?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rjessome said:
This is NOT correct. The airline cares about your ability to legally board the plane, not about whether or not you have a return ticket. They are not immigration officers.
This is NOT correct.

Sure, they are not immigration officers. But still they can REFUSE your boarding in their aircraft if you do not have legal status/not having a return ticket. There is no doubt about that.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No, you are wrong. Some airlines (but not all) still ask if you have any document showing your status in Canada such PR card etc. If you have a return ticket, they would not ask you the same. I never have issues with Air Canada, but problem with CX.

rjessome said:
Oy vay. This has been posted about again and again for visa exempt individuals. She does NOT need the PR card to board the plane if she is visa exempt. Think about it for a second. When she goes to the ticket agent to get her boarding pass all they will look at is her ability to enter Canada without a visa. The passport reader will indicate biometric information (name, dob, etc.), previous entry and exit dates, will detect fraudulant passports, etc. Depending on the country it may also have information relevant to criminality, etc. If you are a wanted terrorist travelling on your own passport and it is scanned, it will alert the agent to contact their security as they won't want you to board the plane (obviously). There is also a system between several countries that sends inbound information about travellers so they know who is coming. So in your case, if they send the information to Canada and CBSA sees your wife is a PR, what is the problem? A PR is a PR with or without the damn card as long as they meet the eligibility requirements. Sorry if I sound frustrated but this question gets answered at least once a week. I know that there is a lot of confusion about it EVERYWHERE but this is how it works.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
steaky said:
This is NOT correct.

Sure, they are not immigration officers. But still they can REFUSE your boarding in their aircraft if you do not have legal status/not having a return ticket. There is no doubt about that.
There is plenty of doubt about that. Thousands of visitors go to various countries everyday on one way ticket because they are backpacking around and will buy the cheapest return ticket they can find when they are ready to go home. Not everyone has definite travel plans.

Cathay Pacific deals with many passengers that are visa exempt to Singapore but not visa exempt to Canada.

However, I will agree with you that if you don't have the PR card then having the COPR is definitely a good idea.