+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Flight- Dog- Delhi to Toronto- URGENT

Dhrvsd

Mar 15, 2017
Hello,

I am planning to get my Labrador (5yrs.) to Toronto from New Delhi via direct Air Canada flight. The flight duration is 14-15 hours.

Has anyone brought their dog using the same flight? Or should I change to another flight with layover? Is the direct flight safe?

They said that no one will check on the dog once he has boarded. I’m really confused and scared.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The flight duration is 14-15 hours, but you also need to know how long is the security clearance.

Btw, why bring your dog if you are only visiting? Bring it to a show?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,

I am planning to get my Labrador (5yrs.) to Toronto from New Delhi via direct Air Canada flight. The flight duration is 14-15 hours.

Has anyone brought their dog using the same flight? Or should I change to another flight with layover? Is the direct flight safe?

They said that no one will check on the dog once he has boarded. I’m really confused and scared.
Yes - your dog will effectively be on his own for the duration of the flight. To the best of my knowledge, a layover doesn't mean you get to see your dog. During the layover, your dog is simply moved from one plane to the other.

Recommend you read through the following site for information about how to prepare:

https://longhaultrekkers.com/how-to-fly-internationally-with-a-dog/

Dhrvsd

Mar 15, 2017
The flight duration is 14-15 hours, but you also need to know how long is the security clearance.

Btw, why bring your dog if you are only visiting? Bring it to a show?
Hey, I live here in Canada now. So it will be his permanent move here. I would never bring him here just for a show.

Dhrvsd

Mar 15, 2017
Yes - your dog will effectively be on his own for the duration of the flight. To the best of my knowledge, a layover doesn't mean you get to see your dog. During the layover, your dog is simply moved from one plane to the other.

Recommend you read through the following site for information about how to prepare:

https://longhaultrekkers.com/how-to-fly-internationally-with-a-dog/
Thanks Scylla! I am just concerned with the flight duration. Will he be alright for 14-15 hours? I can manage to speed up the clearance process. Or should I break the journey? But that would mean torturing him twice. I am confused.

StevieFray

Jan 26, 2015
Nomination.....
17-07-2017
Passport Req..
15-01-2018
Hey, I live here in Canada now. So it will be his permanent move here. I would never bring him here just for a show.
Don't you have a family member that can bring your dog to you? I'm sure "someone" you trust has to carry him to the airport. That's a long flight time.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Don't you have a family member that can bring your dog to you? I'm sure "someone" you trust has to carry him to the airport. That's a long flight time.
It's not about bringing the dog to the airport. The OP is concerned about the 14-15 hour flight time during which time the dog will be on its own in the luggage compartment of the airplane.

Dhrvsd

Mar 15, 2017
It's not about bringing the dog to the airport. The OP is concerned about the 14-15 hour flight time during which time the dog will be on its own in the luggage compartment of the airplane.
Yeah, the air line confirmed that no one can check on pets once the flight has departed. In other words, I will not receive any updates till the flight lands in Canada, and this bit worries me.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hello,

You may want to consider bringing your dog for in-cabin travel. This, of course, would depend on the size of your Labrador:
https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/plan/special-assistance/pets.html

http://www.dogjaunt.com/guides/international-airline-pet-policies-for-in-cabin-travel/

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Cannot see a 5 year old Labrador fitting in a carrier that has to be placed under the seat in front let alone in cabin for 14-15 hours . Size apart a 5 year old Labrador will way exceed the 10 kg limit.

I would suggest the OP consults a vet for any medication that can be given to dog to help during transit in the hold. People do ship animals every day without any harm.

If the OP starts looking at layovers to break the trip up that opens up possibility of additional health requirements and even possibly quarantine requirements.

Last edited:

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Cannot see a 5 year old Labrador fitting in a carrier that has to be placed under the seat in front let alone in cabin for 14-15 hours .
I agree LOL.

But I have seen some really skinny/small labs who were raised on vegetarian diets!!

I personally would not recommend the direct flight of 14-15 hours. IMO, it feels claustrophobic.... not sure how a dog would feel

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You may want to consider bringing your dog for in-cabin travel. This, of course, would depend on the size of your Labrador:
https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/plan/special-assistance/pets.html

http://www.dogjaunt.com/guides/international-airline-pet-policies-for-in-cabin-travel/
Lab is way too big to bring into the cabin. I believe airlines place a 20 pound weight limit on in-cabin pets.

The only exception would be if the dog is a service animal. There's been extensive abuse of this exception so airlines are now requesting documented proof the dog is in fact a service pet and the owner isn't simply circumventing policy.

OP's dog will have to travel in the luggage compartment and needs to plan accordingly. There's a ton of information online with regards to this and that's where I would suggest the OP start. One big tip is to buy the carrier / crate the dog will be carrying way in advance and have the dog spent time sleeping / staying in this container to get used to it and feel comfortable in it ahead of the trip.