+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Flagpolling - Out of Status

sentha

Star Member
Oct 24, 2014
Guys, this is little convoluted..so let me explain,

I was on work permit and so was my wife as dependent. Our application for extension (applied before the then expiry date) got refused and we became "out of status". We have applied for restoration of status within the 90 day period given therein the refusal letter and have not heard back yet from CIC.

While this was going on we received PPR for the permanent residency application and we have sent out the passports.

Questions

1) Will we have any issues with getting the passports stamped with Permanent residency visa
2) If we were to do flag polling will we have any issues at the border?

Has anyone of you folks have done anything similar? Please advise. Thanks in advance.

sentha

Star Member
Oct 24, 2014
redgdon said:
Can't imagine you will. Contact CIC to be on the safe side.
thanks for the reply and suggestion redgdon - I sure am planning to contact CIC, but in the mean time wanted to post here and learn about the experience if anyone was unfortunate enough to go through as myself.

Amisnic

Champion Member
Mar 28, 2014
Visa Office......
Sydney NS
NOC Code......
NOC 2133
App. Filed.......
30-04-2014
AOR Received.
22-05-2014
Med's Done....
20-03-2015
LANDED..........
02-06-2015
You are on "Implied Status" at present and therefore you will not have any issues provided your PR Visas get issued before your application is refused (if it is refused).

I would not worry, just send your passport ASAP.

sentha said:

I was on work permit and so was my wife as dependent. Our application for extension (applied before the then expiry date) got refused and we became "out of status". We have applied for restoration of status within the 90 day period given therein the refusal letter and have not heard back yet from CIC.

While this was going on we received PPR for the permanent residency application and we have sent out the passports.

Questions

1) Will we have any issues with getting the passports stamped with Permanent residency visa

Has anyone of you folks have done anything similar? Please advise. Thanks in advance.

sentha

Star Member
Oct 24, 2014
Amisnic said:
You are on "Implied Status" at present and therefore you will not have any issues provided your PR Visas get issued before your application is refused (if it is refused).

I would not worry, just send your passport ASAP.
Thanks Amisnic - my current understanding is that, in my case, since I am in "restoration of status" stage, it is NOT considered an "implied status" - have any reference that states otherwise? that would be really helpful. thanks

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
sentha said:
Thanks Amisnic - my current understanding is that, in my case, since I am in "restoration of status" stage, it is NOT considered an "implied status" - have any reference that states otherwise? that would be really helpful. thanks
sentha, you are correct, there is no implied status. But you shouldn't have any problem with landing, just bring a copies of your applications for restoration.

sentha

Star Member
Oct 24, 2014
jes_ON said:
sentha, you are correct, there is no implied status. But you shouldn't have any problem with landing, just bring a copies of your applications for restoration.
Thanks for the reply jes_ON, have you or do you know someone who has done this? My greatest concern is if they do not let me in
that would be an unmanageable crisis since we have lots of household items and other obligations to take care of.

In all cases, it is very reassuring to read the replies from you folks..thanks.

Tonimir

Oct 6, 2014
Toronto
sentha said:
Thanks for the reply jes_ON, have you or do you know someone who has done this? My greatest concern is if they do not let me in
that would be an unmanageable crisis since we have lots of household items and other obligations to take care of.

In all cases, it is very reassuring to read the replies from you folks..thanks.
Once you have the immigration visa on your passport + the CoPR in hand, there should be nothing to worry about. Bravely you get off the border and come back to complete your landing and become a PR. (No more Work Permit crap!)

Send your passports ASAP and within 2-3 weeks, when you get your passports and CoPR back, do your landing ASAP.

On the border, bring with you all the Work Permits and the refusal letter + your restoration request.
The officer might, or might not ask you about them. But in case he/she does ask you, you may explain the story for him. Nevertheless, non of this should worry you, because if you have a valid CoPR , your past status in Canada doesn't matter. Because on your landing moment, you are becoming a PR.

No worries, just act quickly! :)

sentha

Star Member
Oct 24, 2014
Tonimir said:
Once you have the immigration visa on your passport + the CoPR in hand, there should be nothing to worry about. Bravely you get off the border and come back to complete your landing and become a PR. (No more Work Permit crap!)

Send your passports ASAP and within 2-3 weeks, when you get your passports and CoPR back, do your landing ASAP.

On the border, bring with you all the Work Permits and the refusal letter + your restoration request.
The officer might, or might not ask you about them. But in case he/she does ask you, you may explain the story for him. Nevertheless, non of this should worry you, because if you have a valid CoPR , your past status in Canada doesn't matter. Because on your landing moment, you are becoming a PR.

No worries, just act quickly! :)
Thanks Tonimir, appreciate your reply

GinnyPi

Star Member
Feb 21, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi sentha, here's a suggestion: when you get the passports back with your CoPr, you could call the inland landing office and see if they will give you a rush appointment. It is probably best to remedy the "out of status" situation inland.

sentha

Star Member
Oct 24, 2014
GinnyPi said:
Hi sentha, here's a suggestion: when you get the passports back with your CoPr, you could call the inland landing office and see if they will give you a rush appointment. It is probably best to remedy the "out of status" situation inland.
Hi GinnyPi, I hear you, that's what I plan to do, however it appears though that getting an appointment inland within given time frame is a doubtful prospect, that's why I wanted to figure out the hurdles in doing flagpoling. thanks for the suggestion.

Punjabi26

Star Member
Mar 13, 2015
sentha said:

Questions

Hi, I was in almost similar position. You need not to worry about stamping process, when you get your Passport and Copr back , Just go and do the landing process and when the officer asks about your status , simply explain. When I was asked about my status i answered ' implied status' because i had a restoration application in process and in my understanding that meant ' implied status'. That was it for me , no further questions were asked about status and the whole process hardly took 30 mins.

Don't worry and good luck :)

sentha

Star Member
Oct 24, 2014
Punjabi26 said:
Hi, I was in almost similar position. You need not to worry about stamping process, when you get your Passport and Copr back , Just go and do the landing process and when the officer asks about your status , simply explain. When I was asked about my status i answered ' implied status' because i had a restoration application in process and in my understanding that meant ' implied status'. That was it for me , no further questions were asked about status and the whole process hardly took 30 mins.

Don't worry and good luck :)
Hi Punjabi26 - thanks a bunch for you reply. Relieved to learn about your story :) . Where have you done your flagpolling? I am in Toronto.

Punjabi26

Star Member
Mar 13, 2015
sentha said:
Hi Punjabi26 - thanks a bunch for you reply. Relieved to learn about your story :) . Where have you done your flagpolling? I am in Toronto.
No problem , I'm in GTA , so i went to Niagara Falls.