+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Flagpoling for LMIA while waiting for Visitor extension

ldrbjp

Oct 11, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Here's my brother's situation:

Landed here as a visitor 6 months ago with hopes of finding work in his area (has experience as cook back home) and applied for visitor extension 1 month ago. While waiting for the outcome of the extension, he got an offer with LMIA from a restaurant. We are thinking to go to the border and do the flagpoling, through which he could get a closed work permit instantaneously

Questions:
  • Is flag poling allowed in this scenario?
  • Given the visitor extension request in progress, would that raise any red flags that would result in:
    • rejection of work permit
    • refusal of his entry back into Canada at that point

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020

Landed here as a visitor 6 months ago with hopes of finding work in his area (has experience as cook back home) and applied for visitor extension 1 month ago. While waiting for the outcome of the extension, he got an offer with LMIA from a restaurant. We are thinking to go to the border and do the flagpoling, through which he could get a closed work permit instantaneously

Questions:
  • Given the visitor extension request in progress, would that raise any red flags that would result in:
Did he travel to Canada on an ETA. Does he have a US visa? If not then no, you can’t flagpole on a visitor visa. He applies online, and shows his experience to work in a restaurant.

The following foreign nationals are permitted to Flagpole:

1. Residents of visa-exempt countries with an LMIA-exempt job.
  2. Residents of visa-exempt countries in possession of a positive LMIA.
  3. Residents of the U.S., St. Pierre & Miquelon and Greenland.
  4. Residents of visa-required countries already in possession of a study or work permit (flagpoling for the purposes of renewal).

ldrbjp

Oct 11, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for the response, Naturgrl. He doesn't have a US visa and I'm not sure what ETA is. He is an Indian.

With the above, he has no option to flagpole at all?

Cassiano

Dec 4, 2017

Questions:
yes,,, just do it, the border cancel the visitor extension, no problem.

ldrbjp

Oct 11, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Didn't say that. Does he meet any of the statements I posted to flagpole?
sorry, I misunderstood. He is in Canada on Visitor visa and from a Visa required country. He got a job offer from an employer who has an LMIA. Do you think he can flagpole?

Shahid12

Nov 9, 2019
sorry, I misunderstood. He is in Canada on Visitor visa and from a Visa required country. He got a job offer from an employer who has an LMIA. Do you think he can flagpole?
Good Luck I did flag pole and approved work permit. It all depends on the officer, Make sure you are prepare everything.
For me they questioned for 45 min and took 2 hrs before they approve it.

I accompanied my dad, he could not speak English.

Reactions: Cassiano

Shahid12

Nov 9, 2019
Documents to take with you.
Positive LMIA, Job offer
Reference Letter ( Previous Employer)
Medical
PCC ( Optional If they ask)
Be early in the morning for sure.

Reactions: Cassiano

ldrbjp

Oct 11, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thank you so much Shahid12. Does all the docs need to be hard copies or electronic copies suffice?

ldrbjp

Oct 11, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
couple of follow up questions on the same thread

1. IF the Flagpoling is a rejection (for closed work permit), can my brother enter Canada? His visitor record extension request is in progress and no outcome yet
  2. Learnt a representative can go to the border along with the applicant. Can that be me (his sibling)?