+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Flagpoling experience June 20, 2019

JosephH

Jun 21, 2019
I flagpoled my PGWP on June 20th and I feel my experience can help a lot of people who are confused as I was at the first time.

Importants:
1. Check port transaction flow. Website: http://www.niagarafallsbridges.com/index.php/services/traffic-conditions
2. Bring these 4 documents with you- passport, study permit, transcript(sealed) & completion letter.

I live in London, my research told me Lewiston would be the best choice. I left at 5:45 a.m.
Rainy. Road construction. Arrived Lewiston at 8:10. Lots of traffic. About 15 flagpoling cars in front of us.
Waited about 20mins in USA, then back to Canadian side. American offiers were friendly. One of them had a checklist asking if this was your first time flagpoling and have you tried other ports.
Canadian Lewiston officers were not. Drived a little bit forward and he saided: This pose is the international pose of STOP. You want to hit me?
He took a look of the paper and gave it back, said the office was full we could try an hour later.

Decided to try Peace bridge cuz it only took 30mins driving.
Arrived aroung 9:15. Went to American side, was asked to park and wait in the office. They were waiting for about 10 groups then a police car leaded us the way out.
Went to Canadian side. Smooth. Sent to the office and waited about 10 mins.

*I didn't bring my completion letter due to time condition. I brought my diploma instead.

Officer asked for my completion letter. I explained to him it would take 7 days to get and my flight is on 23rd.
I said my diploma could also prove I completed my degree, the officer took a look, smiled and said: no it doesn't.
I freaked out. Asked him to look again, he asked me why I didn't prepare my completion letter earlier I explained I bought my tickets in a hurry. He told me to wait.
Waited about 20 mins. The officer asked his colleague, made calls then decided to prove my application. Paid $340 in total include bio-checks. The officer was really nice, friendly and funny, tried to talk jokes but I was too nervous to respond sorry dude.
Waited another 20 mins to get my permit. He made a mistake and typed the wrong postcode. I went to ask and they said the permit is still valid and address doesn't matter.

This is how I get my PGWP.

Reminder:
Don't bring your diploma only without a completion letter. I was risking and running out of time, it was a desperate decision.

Conclusion:
Lewiston could be problematic, all depends on the traffic.
You only need 4 docs: passport, study permit, transcript(sealed) and completion letter. No need to bring your big A5 diploma.

Reactions: Oluwaseunabd

abhijiths619

Jul 23, 2017
Congrats. Did they ask you any questions while they were reviewing yours docs? Did you work after course completion till you applied for work permit? I heard that we are not supposed to work after graduating until applying for work permit.
Thanks in Advance

Oluwaseunabd

Star Member
Mar 13, 2019
Congrats....pls did u have a US Visa to cross to the US side?can I do this for my spouse to get OWP and children to obtain visitors record?
I flagpoled my PGWP on June 20th and I feel my experience can help a lot of people who are confused as I was at the first time.

Importants:
1. Check port transaction flow. Website: http://www.niagarafallsbridges.com/index.php/services/traffic-conditions
2. Bring these 4 documents with you- passport, study permit, transcript(sealed) & completion letter.

I live in London, my research told me Lewiston would be the best choice. I left at 5:45 a.m.
Rainy. Road construction. Arrived Lewiston at 8:10. Lots of traffic. About 15 flagpoling cars in front of us.
Waited about 20mins in USA, then back to Canadian side. American offiers were friendly. One of them had a checklist asking if this was your first time flagpoling and have you tried other ports.
Canadian Lewiston officers were not. Drived a little bit forward and he saided: This pose is the international pose of STOP. You want to hit me?
He took a look of the paper and gave it back, said the office was full we could try an hour later.

Decided to try Peace bridge cuz it only took 30mins driving.
Arrived aroung 9:15. Went to American side, was asked to park and wait in the office. They were waiting for about 10 groups then a police car leaded us the way out.
Went to Canadian side. Smooth. Sent to the office and waited about 10 mins.

*I didn't bring my completion letter due to time condition. I brought my diploma instead.

Officer asked for my completion letter. I explained to him it would take 7 days to get and my flight is on 23rd.
I said my diploma could also prove I completed my degree, the officer took a look, smiled and said: no it doesn't.
I freaked out. Asked him to look again, he asked me why I didn't prepare my completion letter earlier I explained I bought my tickets in a hurry. He told me to wait.
Waited about 20 mins. The officer asked his colleague, made calls then decided to prove my application. Paid $340 in total include bio-checks. The officer was really nice, friendly and funny, tried to talk jokes but I was too nervous to respond sorry dude.
Waited another 20 mins to get my permit. He made a mistake and typed the wrong postcode. I went to ask and they said the permit is still valid and address doesn't matter.

This is how I get my PGWP.

Reminder:
Don't bring your diploma only without a completion letter. I was risking and running out of time, it was a desperate decision.

Conclusion:
Lewiston could be problematic, all depends on the traffic.
You only need 4 docs: passport, study permit, transcript(sealed) and completion letter. No need to bring your big A5 diploma.