+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Flagpoling and medical exam processing time for SOWP

Dec 14, 2021
Hello,

I'm currently on a study permit in Canada and about to complete my studies this month after successfully defending my thesis this week. I was offered a job in the healthcare field and they would like me to start in January.

To get a work permit as soon as possible with the healthcare restriction removed, here is my plan:
  • I got my upfront medical exam 2 weeks ago and the physician's office confirmed it was submitted to eMedical 5 days ago.
  • I will apply for a spousal work permit (my common law partner is working on a PGWP in a NOC 0 position) at a Port of Entry (Point Roberts or Peace Arch) by flagpoling. I am a US citizen so my understanding is that this is allowable. I am choosing to apply for a SOWP and not PGWP because I can do this while still being on a study permit and do not need to wait for letter of completion/final transcript which PGWP requires.
My question is about when I should go to the border to apply for the SOWP. I have seen in other threads and been advised by the physician's office and international student advising that I should wait about 3 weeks after the medical exam to give IRCC enough time to process the results so that the border agents can see it. Has anyone done this recently and have an idea of how long the processing may take? Or have any suggestions as to who I can call to find out whether the results have been processed or not? I have not had success connecting to an agent at IRCC.

Also, does anyone know if flagpoling exempts you from the Covid-testing requirement at the border? I called the border agency today and they told me that I would need to use the ArriveCAN system, but would NOT need a Covid-test. If anyone can confirm this from experience it would help put my mind at ease (and save us a good chunk of money for tests/stress about getting stranded in the States).

Any insight or advice would be much appreciated! The employer is eager for me to start as soon as possible and this is a dream job, so I am hoping to get the work permit smoothly and as quickly as possible. Thank you!!

Dec 14, 2021
I am in the same situation and still looking for advice.
Some updates/tips for you and anyone else who may come across the thread in the future:

I was able to get my spousal work permit at the border last week and started my job yesterday! Here's what worked for me:
  • Timing: I went to the border 28 days after my medical exam, 21 days after it was submitted to e-medical. When I called IRCC they told me it would take 3 weeks to 6 MONTHS to process the medical in order for border services to see it. Really freaked me out but I stayed hopeful. I called them 2 weeks after my exam and was told they wouldn't even look at my file (IMED#) until 3 weeks had passed. I called again exactly 3 weeks after my medical and the agent looked up my IMED# and told me it was processed and I could go to the border. I think it really depends which agent you speak to and if they are willing to look this up for you.
  • Covid test for flagpoling: I think this also depends on the border agent. I called border services 4 times to ask about this as the covid testing requirements changed in December and each time got a different answer about flagpoling. The general sense was that you could do it WITHOUT a negative test, but you needed to 1) submit ArriveCan including quarantine plan 2) do it by car not foot and 3) that you should not step out of the car/in the US border office as that would count as physically stepping on US soil. One agent said going into the border office on the US would be ok because it is not US soil (??), another said it was not ok because it is US soil and you could get slapped with a $5000 Health Canada fine for trying to get back in without a test (!!!). After crossing the border I think it would have been okay to flagpole, but I played it safe by going to Washington for 3 days with my partner (We are US citizens) and getting a negative PCR test before crossing back into Canada at Peace Arch. The test was VERY stressful trying to get a PCR test during the holidays/snow, but if you schedule an appointment beforehand it should be ok. We paid $185 USD each to get 24 hour results from a testing site by SEATAC. Right now you need the test taken within 72 hours of crossing OUTSIDE OF CANADA, so make sure to use a service that gets results back to you in time. You can't take the test in Canada before leaving. It does come with the risk of getting stranded in the states if you test positive. In hindsight, I would have tried to do a home rapid test before leaving Canada for some peace of mind...
  • Application at border: Went very smooth. Had prepared more documents than necessary - they mostly looked at my/my partner's current status documents (work/study permit), proof of relationship documents (notarized common law declaration, shared lease, etc)and my e-Medical information sheet. They also asked me why I was applying for spousal permit instead of work permit. I don't think they looked at my partner's employment documents (job description, employment contract, NOC level, 3 recent paycheque), but I had heard these were important. I would just prepare as much documentation as possible so you have what that particular agent want to see.
Hope this helps!