+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Flagpole procedure

Habsfan

May 17, 2011
Hello,

My american wife just recently got her Confirmation of Permanent Residence, and we need to go validate that at an immigration office to make it official.
This was of course a spouse sponsorship, we applied in March last year and very recently got the CPR (for those wondering how long it takes, for us it was a year).

We received instructions with the CPR, which didn't say much other than call CIC to take an appointment.
We called, and were told that we only needed to go to the closest airport (Ottawa MacDonald-Cartier International Airport) with our travelling papers, proof of immigration application, etc. and no need for appointment. We were instructed to go straight to the Immigration Office there, tell them we do not want to go to the U.S, simply validate the CPR.

When we got there, we were told that we couldn't do this. We had to be at a land border, unless we were landing from a flight from outside the country.
So we were told to go to Prescott (closest land border), do the flagpole procedure there, and to make sure we bring bank account statements and proof of permanent address, which wasn't mentioned to us at all before that point.

So my question is this.. how the h*** does this flagpole procedure work exactly? Anyone has gone through the process recently and can give us some advices?
Does it have to indeed be at a land border unless landing from a flight from outside the country? Do we need an appointment at a land border?
And what exactly do we need to bring? If bank statements and proof of permanent address are required, are they required for the sponsored or the sponsor? And what would qualify as "having enough money to support the couple" exactly? Wouldn't a recent pay slip be more relevant than a bank account statement? If the proof of permanent address is required for the sponsored, what's the easiest way to get one? It doesn't make too much sense to me to be asking to validate a permanent address when you're there to validate a permanent residency to begin with..
Also I had heard bad things about the Prescott border office, anyone has experience with them or another point of entry to suggest?

Thanks in advance for all your comments, much appreciated!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I'll help with one question...

It has to be a land border unless you are flying into Canada from an international destination. If you are flying into Canada from an international destination - then you can land at the airport.

To flagpole (at a land border) you will have to actually exit Canada and then re-enter.

Habsfan

May 17, 2011
scylla said:
I'll help with one question...

It has to be a land border unless you are flying into Canada from an international destination. If you are flying into Canada from an international destination - then you can land at the airport.

To flagpole (at a land border) you will have to actually exit Canada and then re-enter.
Thanks for your input! So there's really no way of doing it without entering the US then? It's so confusing when the instructions from CIC clearly say to tell the officer that "you do not want to enter the US border"..

user828

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2012
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi ( Parents Sponsorship )
App. Filed.......
19-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
Habsfan said:
Thanks for your input! So there's really no way of doing it without entering the US then? It's so confusing when the instructions from CIC clearly say to tell the officer that "you do not want to enter the US border"..
Goto to the border
Tell them I am here to flagpole
They give you some paperwork
Have you make a U-turn ( not enter US )
Canadian authorities will require that paper
Ask questions and land you

Word "flagpole" to immigration at land border is pretty common

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Habsfan said:
So we were told to go to Prescott (closest land border), do the flagpole procedure there, and to make sure we bring bank account statements and proof of permanent address, which wasn't mentioned to us at all before that point.
You don't need any of that. You ONLY need your COPR form and passport, that's it. You will simply tell the Canadian immigration officer your address you want PR card sent to. They don't care whatsoever about your bank account and wont ask. Oh and you'll need the B4 forms if you intend to import some of your goods separately from home and want to be exempt from duties/customs/taxes etc.

Did you call CIC for all this? I'm surprised they would advise you to "land" by walking into an airport, and that you need proof of bank accounts and address. This is all completely wrong info.

Technically you will be entering the US when you talk to US border guard and they give you paperwork and turn you around. Realistically though you are just heading right back to the Canadian side. IF you require a special visa to enter the US, you can still flagpole as they will just give you an "administrative denied entry" to the US and you will still head back to Canada side to "land".

Habsfan

May 17, 2011
I'm glad I come here for info, you guys are all very helpful! :)

And to answer your question Rob_TO, yes we did call CIC, they're the ones who told us about the walking into the airport part.
The immigration officer at the airport is the one who told us about bank account statement and proof of permanent address.
They seem to have a hard time agreeing on their own procedures... I guess in all cases, it's always up to the officer who lands you, right? So I hope we get one who's up to date on these procedures and that everything goes smoothly. :)

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Habsfan said:
I guess in all cases, it's always up to the officer who lands you, right?
Actually no, in these cases it's not up to the officer at all. Its quite clear in the procedure manuals what's involved during landing.

There is NO INCOME/SAVINGS/CASH requirement for a landed PR in partner/spousal category. Absolutely none. As a landed PR, there is no requirement to show any savings whatsoever (you can have $0), and there is not even a requirement to have a bank account. There is zero chance an immigration officer doing a landing procedure, will ask for this.

And for address, you DO NOT NEED TO PROVE a permanent address. In fact, you don't even need a permanent address. Some people land as a PR, and then immediately fly back to their home country to do final preparations to immigrate here. So they give the address of a friend or family member. The only reason they want an address, is so they know where to send the PR card to which you get in the mail around 30+ days after landing. Again under no circumstances will the immigration officer ask for "proof" of an address.

Perhaps these things may be required in other PR categories and is why some people told you otherwise (i.e. sponsoring other family members, working class PR etc), but definitely NOT for spousal.

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY --> Los Angeles, CA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
Habsfan said:
Hello,

My american wife just recently got her Confirmation of Permanent Residence, and we need to go validate that at an immigration office to make it official.
This was of course a spouse sponsorship, we applied in March last year and very recently got the CPR (for those wondering how long it takes, for us it was a year).

We received instructions with the CPR, which didn't say much other than call CIC to take an appointment.
We called, and were told that we only needed to go to the closest airport (Ottawa MacDonald-Cartier International Airport) with our travelling papers, proof of immigration application, etc. and no need for appointment. We were instructed to go straight to the Immigration Office there, tell them we do not want to go to the U.S, simply validate the CPR.

When we got there, we were told that we couldn't do this. We had to be at a land border, unless we were landing from a flight from outside the country.

So my question is this.. how the h*** does this flagpole procedure work exactly? Anyone has gone through the process recently and can give us some advices?
Does it have to indeed be at a land border unless landing from a flight from outside the country? Do we need an appointment at a land border?
And what exactly do we need to bring? If bank statements and proof of permanent address are required, are they required for the sponsored or the sponsor? And what would qualify as "having enough money to support the couple" exactly? Wouldn't a recent pay slip be more relevant than a bank account statement? If the proof of permanent address is required for the sponsored, what's the easiest way to get one? It doesn't make too much sense to me to be asking to validate a permanent address when you're there to validate a permanent residency to begin with..
Also I had heard bad things about the Prescott border office, anyone has experience with them or another point of entry to suggest?

Thanks in advance for all your comments, much appreciated!
BE WARY OF PRESCOTT!!!!!!!

I'm not even KIDDING. We had extremely arrogant, ignorant officers, I was ready to explode. I live between Prescott bridge and 1000 Islands Bridge, we stupidly landed, and imported a car, VIA Prescott. I'm not impressed with the American border agents. If you can, go to 1000 Islands Bridge, they are MUCH more polite than Prescott.

Besides that, all you need is passports and the COPR. Let them know you wish to flagpole and your wife is landing as a PR of Canada. They will know what it means.

collectskulls

Star Member
Jul 9, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-07-12
AOR Received.
2-10-12
File Transfer...
2-10-12
Med's Done....
26-06-12
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
19-02-13
VISA ISSUED...
15-03-13
LANDED..........
19-03-13
Sir, Madam,

Thank you for contacting Citizenship and Immigration Canada. I am pleased to follow up on your request:

Validating a Confirmation of Permanent Residence at a Land Border (Flag Pole Procedure)

Once you get your Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM 5292 or IMM 5688) from a Canadian visa office and, if necessary, your permanent resident visa in your passport, you must have these documents validated by an immigration officer at a port of entry. If you did not see an immigration officer when you arrived in Canada and are still in possession of your IMM 5292 or IMM 5688 document, then you must:

Go to the American land border and explain to the officer that you do not want to enter the US; but that you want to return to Canada immediately to validate an immigration document (this is called the flag pole procedure).
Once at the Canadian border, you must show the officer:
your passport, travel or identity document (including secure visa counterfoil (IMM 1346), if applicable); and
your Confirmation of Permanent Residence form and instructions issued by the Canadian visa office; and
your proof of legal status in Canada, such as a valid work permit, study permit, temporary resident permit, or visitor document; or
any immigration document in your possession (whether valid or not); and
proof of implied status (if applicable), for example:
payment receipt;
copy of your application;
printout of online application;
proof of mailing.
To find the land border closest to you which offers immigration services, please visit the Canada Border Service Agency Web site.

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY --> Los Angeles, CA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
yaye2009 said:
Hi its inland Sponsorship can do Flagpole as well your just Outlander?
Are you asking if inland applicants can flagpole? If so, I believe so yes.

yaye2009

Star Member
May 9, 2009
Yeah I was asking about whether inland applicant can do flagpole as well, if yes so its more easier to go to any canada/usa land border to land instead of wait for 2 to 3 months for some local CIC

user828

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2012
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi ( Parents Sponsorship )
App. Filed.......
19-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
yaye2009 said:
Yeah I was asking about whether inland applicant can do flagpole as well, if yes so its more easier to go to any canada/usa land border to land instead of wait for 2 to 3 months for some local CIC
My friend got inland in 2001, he was asked to pick up his long format landing paper in M'ssuaga, and thats it, it was landing and there was no flagpole required. I don't think inland requires it