+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Flagpole for PGWP while study permit extension under process

Peace.zone

Dec 30, 2022
I had applied for my study permit extension and SOWP extension together but both are under process. Meanwhile I completed my studies and want to go for flagpole to get PGWP. If I get PGWP through flagpole what happens to my study permit extension? More importantly what happens to the SOWP extension application? Does IRCC still process it or automatically withdraws SOWP application as well?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I had applied for my study permit extension and SOWP extension together but both are under process. Meanwhile I completed my studies and want to go for flagpole to get PGWP. If I get PGWP through flagpole what happens to my study permit extension? More importantly what happens to the SOWP extension application? Does IRCC still process it or automatically withdraws SOWP application as well?
Did you graduate before your study permit expired?

sam.devilz19

Nov 7, 2017
St. John's, NL, Canada
Then you need the study permit extension approved first before you qualify for PGWP.
When the OP waits for approval for SP extension (even after completion of studies), is the purpose of the stay not questioned? as the study has already been completed? I'm kind of in a similar situation. I understand that the SP extension is approved assuming the student will continue studying until the newly proposed completion date.