+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Flagpole at BC border refused. Please help.

Enigma222

May 24, 2015
I went to the border yesterday to flagpole and obtain a closed work permit. The officer said that I had to apply inland but that once we applied we would have implied status so could continue working.

Currently I have:
IEC visa (expires June 25, 2015)
Express Entry ITA
BCpnp nomination
A support letter from BCpnp
LMIA (imm 5802) except form and proof of fee paid

My question is, can I go to border again for a second try or is this frowned upon? The first officer was obviously wrong about the implied status because I am coming from an IEC Visa so I would like to see if maybe he was also wrong about being able to flag pole.

Does my current visa have to be expired in order to flagpole? I am wondering if this was why they said I had to apply inland.

Persons who hold a valid work permit, who wish to change their conditions or renew their work permit should apply in Canada, pursuant to R199.

However, if a person seeking entry into Canada meets the requirements of R198 and R200, their work permit application shall be processed at the POE.

Thank you.

Pippin

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2010
I went to the Skilled Worker thread and searched Flagpole. This is what came up. You might find more answers here. Good luck. http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/index.php?action=search2

Jefabrown

May 22, 2015
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Enigma222 said:
I went to the border yesterday to flagpole and obtain a closed work permit. The officer said that I had to apply inland but that once we applied we would have implied status so could continue working.

Currently I have:
Express Entry ITA
BCpnp nomination

My question is, can I go to border again for a second try or is this frowned upon? The first officer was obviously wrong about the implied status because I am coming from an IEC Visa so I would like to see if maybe he was also wrong about being able to flag pole.

Does my current visa have to be expired in order to flagpole? I am wondering if this was why they said I had to apply inland.

Persons who hold a valid work permit, who wish to change their conditions or renew their work permit should apply in Canada, pursuant to R199.

However, if a person seeking entry into Canada meets the requirements of R198 and R200, their work permit application shall be processed at the POE.

Thank you.
The officer was not wrong. Once you apply for another work permit, you will be on implied status, providing that you were eligible to apply for the permit (which tou appear to be).

As it relates to the refusal, what was their reason for refusing your application?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Enigma222 said:

Currently I have:
Express Entry ITA
BCpnp nomination
You if you meet the requirements for the TWP (closed, employer-specific) and are visa-exempt, then you can get the work permit at the border.

Except for spouses, they usually do not issue open work permits at the border, which is what it sounds like you are trying for.

Enigma222

May 24, 2015
jes_ON said:
You if you meet the requirements for the TWP (closed, employer-specific) and are visa-exempt, then you can get the work permit at the border.

Except for spouses, they usually do not issue open work permits at the border, which is what it sounds like you are trying for.
It is for a closed worked permit through BC pnp.

At the border all they said is I had to apply inland and that they did not due them.

britinvancouver

Sep 13, 2014
Vancouver, BC
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
15-07-2015
Passport Req..
22-09-2015
LANDED..........
07-10-2015
Enigma222 said:
It is for a closed worked permit through BC pnp.

At the border all they said is I had to apply inland and that they did not due them.
I picked up a closed work permit from BC border in December - went there with my LMIA etc. they warned me that it would change my status which is fine as I wanted it changed (as my WHV had expired). Got refusal from the US border the note that had Flagpole on it and went back to the Canadian side and got my permit.