+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Flag polling for SOWP extension,

MSCS21

Star Member
Nov 11, 2020
Hi, I have tried a lot to find clear information on new rules regarding owp extension. Im still confused. I will explain my profile. Kindly let me know the best option.

1. I just finished my 2 year master's, study permit expires on September 30. I plan to flagpole to get pgwp. I only hold a part-time job (20-25 hours) in McDonalds currently. Not a NOC one, My spouse's owp, and kid visitor record also expires on sep 30.

2. Can She and my kid flagpole with me on the same day?

3. Do I need a 30+ hours job for them to be eligible to apply for OWP?

4. I am not applying pgwp online because I believe I need a full-time job for us all to apply online at the same time. Therefore, our visas will expire before I get PGWP and my wife can apply. Is this correct or can we apply together inrespective of not having full-time job?

Kindly clarify please @Naturgrl @scylla @canuck78

Reactions: AnkurCA

rcincanada2019

Jan 14, 2023
Ontario
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
App. Filed.......
03-07-2022
Nomination.....
30-03-2022
AOR Received.
03-11-2022
Hi, I have tried a lot to find clear information on new rules regarding owp extension. Im still confused. I will explain my profile. Kindly let me know the best option.

1. I just finished my 2 year master's, study permit expires on September 30. I plan to flagpole to get pgwp. I only hold a part-time job (20-25 hours) in McDonalds currently. Not a NOC one, My spouse's owp, and kid visitor record also expires on sep 30.

4. I am not applying pgwp online because I believe I need a full-time job for us all to apply online at the same time. Therefore, our visas will expire before I get PGWP and my wife can apply. Is this correct or can we apply together inrespective of not having full-time job?

Kindly clarify
No, you don't need a full time job to apply for PGWP online. The purpose of a work permit is to authorize you to work full time, therefore, IRCC cannot expect you to be employed full time before allowing you to apply for a work permit in order to work full time.

I applied for my PGWP online back in June 2020, together with my wife's SOWP and my son's visitor record. I was not employed back then. Got our approvals 3 months later.

MSCS21

Star Member
Nov 11, 2020
Thank you for your reply. Yea I dont need a job, Im unsure of my spouse situation. I just posted the same in a group a few days back, literally three people commented three different answers.

rcincanada2019

Jan 14, 2023
Ontario
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
App. Filed.......
03-07-2022
Nomination.....
30-03-2022
AOR Received.
03-11-2022
Thank you for your reply. Yea I dont need a job, Im unsure of my spouse situation. I just posted the same in a group a few days back, literally three people commented three different answers.
You can either include a visitor record application for your spouse or a SOWP. If you include your spouse in your PGWP application, you are not required to submit 3 paystubs in a NOC 0 A or B jobs. However, if you apply for your spouse's SOWP after you filed for your PGWO, you need to provide the paystubs for NOC 0 A or B job.

Reactions: AnkurCA and MSCS21

Natheer H

Sep 7, 2023

Hi Dear

i am in the same situation. my wife just finished her studies in a 2 years program and eligible for PGWP. i dont have currently a SOWP , i have only a visitor visa and i am not inside Canada.We will apply together for both PGWP and SOWP in the coming days.

Did you manage to have a definite answer regarding this , and did you apply.

What are the documents needed for both of us.

Thank you,

Cpat007

Dec 10, 2023
I have a question, I do have a Post graduate Work Permit valid for next 3 Years, My wife got a open work permit based on my study permit , but now her open work permit is going to expire.
Can my wife do a flag poling for her spouse work permit extension based on my PGWP with kids( Study Permit extension and visitor record extension)?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I have a question, I do have a Post graduate Work Permit valid for next 3 Years, My wife got a open work permit based on my study permit , but now her open work permit is going to expire.
Can my wife do a flag poling for her spouse work permit extension based on my PGWP with kids( Study Permit extension and visitor record extension)?
Yes as long as you can show that you are employed with 3 pay stubs. Check the local border to see when the do flagpoling and how many applications they accept every day.

AnkurCA

Apr 20, 2021

Hi,

I am in a similar situation, Can you please let me know how you applied and did you get approvals by applying online for spouse open permit along with the PGWP without providing Job offer & Paystubs?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,

I am in a similar situation, Can you please let me know how you applied and did you get approvals by applying online for spouse open permit along with the PGWP without providing Job offer & Paystubs?
Someone didn’t follow the requirements of this occurred. You shouldn’t expect to be able to not submit proof if employment and pay stubs to get an SOWP.