+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Flag-poling with an implied status

ublook113

Apr 19, 2018
Hi Good People! A friend's (living in Regina) work permit (WP) just expired (on April 15th 2018) but before expiration, he had applied for an extension online (on April 05th 2018). His WP application is still under-review (meaning he is using an "implied status" currently) but luckily his PR has been approved and he is ready to land after receiving the COPR/landing visa. My Questions: (1) Can he drive to any US-Canadian border to land? (2) will he have any issue at the border since he is on an implied status (remember he has applied for a new WP and has the receipt/confirmation letter from the CIC online application)?

testtrav2

Star Member
Dec 7, 2017
Hi Good People! A friend's (living in Regina) work permit (WP) just expired (on April 15th 2018) but before expiration, he had applied for an extension online (on April 05th 2018). His WP application is still under-review (meaning he is using an "implied status" currently) but luckily his PR has been approved and he is ready to land after receiving the COPR/landing visa. My Questions: (1) Can he drive to any US-Canadian border to land? (2) will he have any issue at the border since he is on an implied status (remember he has applied for a new WP and has the receipt/confirmation letter from the CIC online application)?
Yes he can
the implied status does not matter once the flag pole is done (crossing the border) new entry will be based on PR visa
but there is a very small outside risk here
if by some remote chance, the landing could not be completed at border he will be in no mans land because he will not have a valid work permit to get back in. please be aware of this

ContactFront

Champion Member
Feb 22, 2017
Yes he can
the implied status does not matter once the flag pole is done (crossing the border) new entry will be based on PR visa
but there is a very small outside risk here
if by some remote chance, the landing could not be completed at border he will be in no mans land because he will not have a valid work permit to get back in. please be aware of this
You can re-enter Canada under implied status.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/visitors/implied-status-extending-stay.html

Wonderland_1010

Champion Member
Aug 24, 2015
Regina, SK
Category........
PNP
You friend shouldn't have an issue because my colleague did her landing at the border without any status. Landing process will issue him PR status and will void his foreign worker status. Your friend will be required to bring all his work/study permit so CBSA will take it from him.

Reactions: Florin86

ublook113

Apr 19, 2018
Thanks so much Good People. I am also learning alot from your contributions; i hope mine will be as easy as my friend's.

He called me yesterday to inform me that it all went well.

1. He was able to flagpole with his implied status.
2. And was asked by other closed friends to use that very land broader possibly because the admin guys there listen to people and are always ready to help.
3. He said it took him 5 mins for the whole process; an admin refusal of entry document was granted him at US broader.
4. He presented the receipt of his new WP application alongside his expire WP; and these were taken from him.

The lesson I learned from my friend's case: No matter how far a recommended land boarder is, so far one is informed or aware of the help they can render, even when one's case is complicated, one should always plan to travel down there with every needed documents and always be truthful.

Thanks Good People.

Reactions: Florin86

Sam Singh

Apr 8, 2012
India
Category........
PNP
Hi Everyone,I was here in Canada on single entry visitor Visa.During my stay I got a job offer from an Employer but in between that my visa got expired. I applied for extension but application got rejected.I applied For Restoration status with LMIA number in the application and its been 3 months and 21 days that I haven’t got result .I am told by my Lawyer that at the moment I am on implied status so I can go at the flagpole to get Work permit.
My question is Can I go at Flagpole for work permit on Implied status as I have filed Restoration or I have to wait for the extension of my Visa.

Ossym

Feb 22, 2020
Hi Everyone,I was here in Canada on single entry visitor Visa.During my stay I got a job offer from an Employer but in between that my visa got expired. I applied for extension but application got rejected.I applied For Restoration status with LMIA number in the application and its been 3 months and 21 days that I haven’t got result .I am told by my Lawyer that at the moment I am on implied status so I can go at the flagpole to get Work permit.
My question is Can I go at Flagpole for work permit on Implied status as I have filed Restoration or I have to wait for the extension of my Visa.
How did it go I’m in a similar situation